YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Ash tray noise off road (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/ash-tray-noise-off-road-143211/)

Matt16 04-20-2008 10:35 AM

Ash tray noise off road

My ashtray bounce open on anything larger than a speedbump and pennies go everywhere. Its pretty annoying and I'm going to fix it. I'm thinking I'd stick on some velcro to keep it closed.

Have you done anything to quiet the ashtray. It isn't exactly a difficult problem, but I'm curious what others have done.

unclejstoy 04-20-2008 10:37 AM

ya i had this problem once 2 I took out all the pennies

dirtoyboy 04-20-2008 10:38 AM

My suggestion is drive slower or dont keep pennies in the ashtray!

Brenjen 04-20-2008 10:39 AM

I just don't keep change in my ashtray; my buddies threw theirs in the one on my old work truck & dimes kept getting in the DC plug & shorting out the fuse; very irritating to have coins in there to me.

ewong 04-20-2008 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16 (Post 50810177)
My ashtray bounce open on anything larger than a speedbump and pennies go everywhere.

I recall that there is a plastic spring clip that "rides" on the ash tray side rails to add friction to keep the tray from fllying open - at least on the 84-88 ones.

unclejstoy 04-20-2008 11:15 AM

See the ash tray was engineered for the atomic weight of ashes and not pennies.

So filling the volume with penny atoms and not ash atoms over comes the friction of the trays capacity.

Dublin 04-20-2008 11:51 AM

I use to put my change in the dash depression on my 1st gen. It ended up going into the defroster vents to the point that no air would come out. After tearing it apart I was 43 bucks richer. Maybe you should do that, it holds more than your ashtray. Down side is limited defrosting capabilities and zero interest on your savings. :)

Jdizzydub 04-20-2008 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by unclejstoy (Post 50810206)
See the ash tray was engineered for the atomic weight of ashes and not pennies.

So filling the volume with penny atoms and not ash atoms over comes the friction of the trays capacity.

That's exactly right, hence the name ashtray not penny holder...but i have to admit i used to keep change there to. You can insert small felt cut to size inside to prevent noise, and maybe small strips of velcro to keep it shut.

:think:

remove the ashtray and instal a cb in there! keep the change in a small zipper pouch and throw it in the center console:guitar:

stormin94 04-20-2008 11:30 PM

I have mine LOADED with change, just enough space left so it will close, and that thing rattles bad, and I have to keep pushing it in, otherwise it will fall out, and I will be picking up change for months...

My cupholders rattle, and that's annoying. I just pull those out of the dash about 1/2 inch, and it stops, also, my passenger seat squeeks, and I can't figure out where, just that it doesn't do it when there is someone sitting in it.

racinkid13 04-21-2008 05:23 AM

whats an ash tray? oh, that space next to the cigarette lighter. oh, well theres a aftermarket transmission temp and water temp gauge there.

Matt16 04-21-2008 09:41 AM

It doesn't matter whether or not there's change in there, it still bounces out.

Dirtoyboy, I'm not driving slower when the fish are biting.

Belize Off Road Team 04-21-2008 09:48 AM

Matt, i used to do the same as you, i only have a small knife and bottle opener in my ash tray now. i keep all my change in either the money holders or the little pocket in the center console. behind the shifter, you know where i mean?

aviator 04-21-2008 11:02 AM

Sounds like part of the Plastic slide is worn out. The metal/plastic ashtray sub-assembly is attached to the radio surround with two screws.
A short term fix would be to try a strip of electrical tape along one side of the ashtray slide and see if that gives you enough added tension.
A longer term fix would be to purchase a new sub-assembly.
I happen to have a subassembly or two available with and w/out light.
pm me if you're interested.
As for quieting down the contents of the ashtray a member here years ago used a little spray adhesive and a piece of thin felt with excellent results. Of course once you do this it can no longer be used as an ashtray.

dirtoyboy 04-21-2008 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by aviator (Post 50810930)
As for quieting down the contents of the ashtray a member here years ago used a little spray adhesive and a piece of thin felt with excellent results. Of course once you do this it can no longer be used as an ashtray.

This is known world-wide as the infamous "Ashtray mod"!!!!!

:banger:

UKMyers 04-21-2008 12:24 PM

I did the Ashtray mod 4 years ago. For a while there was a member selling the pieces of felt already cut out!!

Jay351 04-21-2008 07:04 PM

Get a new/used plastic peice. 2 screws and its out. Mine fits pretty tight, must be since there was wasnt one in there for 10 years..

stormin94 04-21-2008 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by UKMyers (Post 50810999)
I did the Ashtray mod 4 years ago. For a while there was a member selling the pieces of felt already cut out!!

Just smash some old McDonalds french fries in there, then put your change in on top of it. It's cheaper....and you can have a snack for later....

just a 22re 04-22-2008 07:54 AM

ph my god thats nasty lol but matt you want an idea try the tape on one side and get duct tape to go over the try that way it wont come out and felt on the inside and there no sound no opening and if it does there a lid!