Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ARB snorkel... How do I make it work with an EFI toy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB snorkel... How do I make it work with an EFI toy?

So i was wondering if anyone has put an ARB snorkel on an 86 toyota with the EFI. I contacted ARB and they told me that they do not make the snorkel for fuel injected trucks like mine, however, they said that it will fit the body and it can work. but i would have to make up a way to run it to the air box. it sounds simple enough, but i want to know if any of you have done it and how before i buy one.

thanks!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:03 AM
Banned

Man how deep are you gonna go? The inlet for your factory airbox is behind the headlight that would mean your seat would be underwater. I'm thinking of the porsche on risky business right now.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:05 AM

i'm actually getting it for the intake purposes right now, i heard it helps out with horsepower and gas mileage. plus, it looks awesome!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mattman por vida
i'm actually getting it for the intake purposes right now, i heard it helps out with horsepower and gas mileage. plus, it looks awesome!
I've heard just the opposite, what's the theory behind what you've heard? I'm not being a smartass, I just want to hear another theory.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:41 AM

I too have heard that it improves thorttle responce, and mileage. The throttle responce is where the "power" comes from.

This is becuase its colder air being shoved thru the airfliter. They are designed large enought that they dont effect flow negativley.

They are also not just for water, I want one for dust.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bodo
Man how deep are you gonna go?

well there are waves... thats how i trashed mine. it was going right to the head light but the water and mud were up to my door sill.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Banned

Oh waves yeah right ok now I get it. I can usually look at the trucks in the avatar and tell if they really wheel them are not. That truck is way bling bling, yours on the otherhand looks like it's used like it's supposed to be. I love the mud but hate water crossings that deep.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah Bling Bling BUT we Yota type are always lookin for an edge...I want one too, did you see the video of the trk that just started flouting around in circles then when it hit the shore it just drove out AWSUME!!...Ps I saw a tuner that had intake molded into roof now that got me thinking
Old 10-29-2006, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The snorkel will cost you about 2mpg and some power. If you do it then do the deckplate mod. If you have the 22re then you could remove the air intake tube to get the intake where the battery is now. That will shorten things up and increase throttle response for sure.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by suprathepeg
The snorkel will cost you about 2mpg and some power. If you do it then do the deckplate mod. If you have the 22re then you could remove the air intake tube to get the intake where the battery is now. That will shorten things up and increase throttle response for sure.
i do have the 22re, but the battery is on the opposite side of the truck that the air intake is on... so how would that help? (not being a smartass, i just want to figure this out before is spend 300 bucks on one).
Old 10-29-2006, 03:38 PM

You move the battery to the other side. There is a writeup on 4x4wire.com but you'll have to search.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:56 PM

You move the battery to the other side. There is a writeup on 4x4wire.com but you'll have to search.
i understand that, but the snorkel is made for the driver's side of the truck... and the battery is on the passenger side, so it would make sense to switch the two. right?
Old 10-29-2006, 04:10 PM

The snorkel will cost you about 2mpg and some power. If you do it then do the deckplate mod.
Where do you get this info? Its not the responce I hear from most people that have one.

The snorkel allows cooler air to be injested, the deckplate would negate this.

Last edited by AH64ID; 10-29-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:13 PM

i agree, i actually heard a lot of positive things about adding the snorkel to the system.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:54 PM

I will be installing my snorkel soon. From some research and PM w/ a few people I have found the following info which should help you.

The following information was provided to me from Toxic (TTORA Member). So just want to say thanks to him for passing along the info. This is just one of the ways I found of setting up the intake. I spoke w/ Tim and he has used his setup a few times now. Has not had any issues w/ heating or loss of power. He actually felt like he had a slight increase in power. So overall I think it works and I will be using the same method to set up the intake.

Okay so here is the info:

Per Tim (Toxic)
I did mine with 2in Pvc pipe...The flex hose kit for this is like 60 bucks...It cost me like 12 dollars plus the price of the header tape to help keep the heat down..

Was this plus about 3 foot of pipe,,,The collor that is on the right will need to be cut down to beable to pull it all tight...It fits right in side the air box then put the collar on and tightin it down...Put a bead of silcon around the outside so the pipe is sealed aginst the air box

Test fit it all before gluing it all together...put severl marks around it so when you pull it out to glue it together it will be the right way...If you dont and it could be off a little and make it a real pain to install

Hope that helps everyone! If we get some more good info on this maybe one of the mods could add this as a FAQ for us.

Steve

Last edited by SoCal80; 10-31-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:31 AM

that helps me out about a millionfold! thank you very much! :bigclap:
Old 11-01-2006, 04:17 PM

You can also save all the tubing in the engine bay by running the tubing inside the fender. That way you won't have all the tubing under the hood. Either way deffinately do the deck plate mod so you can keep the milage and power up.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:04 PM

Either way deffinately do the deck plate mod so you can keep the milage and power up.
Still curious as to where you got that info, its the opposite of what I read on here.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:30 PM

Everyone I've talked to has said that. There is no way you can maintain throttle response with the Safari snorkel that much is for sure. I got better throttle response with the DP on my rig without even having the snorkel so you can go wrong by doing it.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:14 AM

Interesting, thats the opposite I hear most people talk about here and on ttora.

Quick Reply: ARB snorkel... How do I make it work with an EFI toy?