YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   ARB compressor mounting (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/arb-compressor-mounting-304695/)

95YotaPickup 06-12-2018 09:59 AM

ARB compressor mounting

Hey guys, I've got a complete ARB third member on the way from Marlin, and I need to mount the compressor somewhere. Probably going to mount it in the engine bay, but would be willing to look at other options. It will be for my 3rd gen extended cab with 22re. I'm going to build some sort of bracket, as I don't feel comfortable just using sheet metal screws and attaching it to the fender in the engine bay. Any pictures, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

wyoming9 06-12-2018 11:26 PM

This is one of those things .

Without the compressor your using it might not fit .

See where it will fit the best and not interfere with access to other areas of the engine compartment

Off Road only Truck or does it do double duty as your daily driver ??

RJR 06-13-2018 11:51 AM

I mounted my VAIR compressor on the driver's side fender, just in front of the brake and clutch MC's. I just screwed it down to the fender with self-drilling #8 sheet metal screws, and it's held up fine there for the last 20,000 miles, on and offroad. No signs of loosening or wobbling.
I had room there for the compressor, pressure switch, gauge, and on/off switch. I'm happy with it.

I had to remove it to replace my clutch MC last fall, but it was easy to do, so I don't consider that mounting location to be a maintenance compromise.

95YotaPickup 06-13-2018 07:38 PM

The truck is a daily driver, and the compressor I have is an ARB ckma12. Have just sheet metal screws really been solid? I'm just afraid of them not being tough enough not only for the offroad driving, but also the vibrations of the compressor itself. I was looking at putting it near the brake booster, but my other concern is the heat from the exhaust manifold on that side of the engine bay. Obviously the whole bay will get hot, but wouldn't it make sense to at least try to get it further away from the source of heat? I know ARB stuff is tough, but I would feel more comfortable with it less exposef to direct heat. Thoughts?

thefishguy77 06-13-2018 08:11 PM

I would think the screws would be fine. If your worries about them backing out you could put a drop of rtv or something on top of the screws. But anything you put on will have to be removed to work on it.

RJR 06-13-2018 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by 95YotaPickup (Post 52400908)
The truck is a daily driver, and the compressor I have is an ARB ckma12. Have just sheet metal screws really been solid? I'm just afraid of them not being tough enough not only for the offroad driving, but also the vibrations of the compressor itself. I was looking at putting it near the brake booster, but my other concern is the heat from the exhaust manifold on that side of the engine bay. Obviously the whole bay will get hot, but wouldn't it make sense to at least try to get it further away from the source of heat? I know ARB stuff is tough, but I would feel more comfortable with it less exposef to direct heat. Thoughts?

Not much more I can tell you - it works. The VIAIR has rubber mounting isolators, so compressor vibration isn't really an issue. I used long, non-tapered, self-drilling screws, which hold well. Short tapered screws would not be as secure.

I always leave the hood open when I'm airing up tires, for better cooling. The ARB locker uses so little air I wouldn't expect compressor cooling when just running the locker to be an issue.

Also, the radiator fan moves a lot of air through the engine compartment, keeping things cooler than might be expected.

wyoming9 06-13-2018 11:18 PM

Passenger side floor is always a option I mounted a few there over the years .

In off road only vehicles

Also under the bed where the spare tire used to be in a custom built box to keep the worst of the dirt off

95YotaPickup 06-14-2018 05:58 AM

Good idea on the RTV. May or may not go that route, depending on where I end up putting it, if the compressor would need removal to get to anything. Custom box by the spare tire would be cool too, but I've got a spare tire there, and I need it relatively accessible for airing up tires and whatnot. Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice

old87yota 06-14-2018 09:55 AM

You could also use bolts, nuts, and washers to secure it rather than just sheet metal screws.

:safari:

gandude 06-14-2018 09:54 PM

I mounted mine on the driver side fender well. about a year ago I ran a fresh air intake into the cab so it wouldn't suck dirty or wet air. The air filter threads were NPT if I recall.
I used flat headed stainless screws and nuts. see pic

https://www.yotatech.com/g/picture/2866990

wyoming9 06-14-2018 10:55 PM

With the under truck mount a air line was run for easy access and all the controls are in the cab.