YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Anyone smelled gas after spinning out? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/anyone-smelled-gas-after-spinning-out-273404/)

briholt 09-22-2013 07:13 PM

Anyone smelled gas after spinning out?

Bit wet in the neighborhood and wasn't paying attention to the green light and so I accidentally broke loose.

I then was able to smell the odor of gasoline. I figured it was due to another vehicle or a spill, but could it have been me?

The fuel tank, btw, was at about 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank full. So, mostly empty.

I ask because I get very bad gas mileage and although I generally have a non "lead foot", I thought maybe this is a symptom pointing to something wrong with the fuel system.

Cheers.

scope103 09-22-2013 07:29 PM

I've heard reports here of trucks in the rust-belt getting slush, etc. on top of the fuel tank. It rusts out the top of the tank or the return lines. A small hole in the top of the tank (or a broken evap line) could allow fuel to slosh out.

If you were in California, smog testing includes an evap test (the tank is pressurized to confirm no leaks; OBD II vehicles have this built-in). Short of that, have you ever removed the gas cap on a warm day? Did fumes rush out? If not, you have a leak in the tank or evap line.

briholt 09-22-2013 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by scope103 (Post 52121233)
I've heard reports here of trucks in the rust-belt getting slush, etc. on top of the fuel tank. It rusts out the top of the tank or the return lines. A small hole in the top of the tank (or a broken evap line) could allow fuel to slosh out. If you were in California, smog testing includes an evap test (the tank is pressurized to confirm no leaks; OBD II vehicles have this built-in). Short of that, have you ever removed the gas cap on a warm day? Did fumes rush out? If not, you have a leak in the tank or evap line.

I live in Seattle, but this is still helpful. If it's leaking, it's leaking while running, which makes me wonder where I should begin to look.

Gevo 09-22-2013 09:59 PM

Well, a well sealed system should not leak any fumes, or of course gasoline.

So, do you smell gasoline any other time? Or just that one time and only after you spun out?

briholt 09-22-2013 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gevo (Post 52121253)
Well, a well sealed system should not leak any fumes, or of course gasoline. So, do you smell gasoline any other time? Or just that one time and only after you spun out?

I've never smelled gas, but I've also never really looked for it.

briholt 09-23-2013 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by briholt (Post 52121257)
I've never smelled gas, but I've also never really looked for it.

I'm going to see if I can reproduce the gas odor. My wonder is whether it would be likely to be from the engine compartment or the tank. If I'm detecting it in the cab, my hunch is that it would be in the engine compartment.

vasinvictor 09-23-2013 01:33 PM

Check your EVAP canister and see if any lines are pulled loose there.

Stevesk88 09-23-2013 03:13 PM

Tell me...How do you break away on accident in a yota? lol C'mon now man. It'd require at least a three grand clutch drop and you just dont do that without meaning too lol

briholt 09-23-2013 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stevesk88 (Post 52121433)
Tell me...How do you break away on accident in a yota? lol C'mon now man. It'd require at least a three grand clutch drop and you just dont do that without meaning too lol

Believe it or not, Seattle is pretty dry in the summer. This was new rain, oily pavement, nothing in the bed. And...I was not paying attention to the light which had just turned green, so, was trying to move quickly.

Gevo 09-23-2013 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by briholt (Post 52121378)
I'm going to see if I can reproduce the gas odor. My wonder is whether it would be likely to be from the engine compartment or the tank. If I'm detecting it in the cab, my hunch is that it would be in the engine compartment.

How do you plan on trying to reproduce it? D maybe there is a tool to test pressure in the fuel evap system. Something you can get on loan from a parts store.?

Chaser Johndoe 09-23-2013 03:52 PM

check your fuel lines up behind the tank. Mine recently rusted out but it would gush out not just dribble. While you are there check the brake lines too.

briholt 09-23-2013 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gevo (Post 52121438)
How do you plan on trying to reproduce it?

Break it loose, of course! Though I'd be surprised if I could pull it off.

briholt 09-23-2013 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chaser Johndoe (Post 52121450)
check your fuel lines up behind the tank. Mine recently rusted out but it would gush out not just dribble. While you are there check the brake lines too.

Check the brake lines for what?

Chaser Johndoe 09-23-2013 07:10 PM

rust:chair:

Gevo 09-23-2013 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by briholt (Post 52121482)
Break it loose, of course! Though I'd be surprised if I could pull it off.

touche!

briholt 10-04-2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by scope103 (Post 52121233)
Short of that, have you ever removed the gas cap on a warm day? Did fumes rush out? If not, you have a leak in the tank or evap line.

Just had a chance to refill and upon opening the gas tank there was a sucking sound similar to a vacuum being equalized.

So, good on that front.

I've also checked my hoses under the hood and they all look secure, though I'll need to look again more methodically.

scope103 10-04-2013 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by briholt (Post 52124952)
... there was a sucking sound similar to a vacuum being equalized...

Sucking? That's bad. The "vented" fuel cap allows air in (otherwise, the fuel pump would either crush the tank as it emptied, or more likely, would eventually not be able to pump against the vacuum). It does not allow fumes (or any gas) out; that's what goes to the evap canister.

So you should hear fumes escaping, not sucking, as the tank is lightly pressurized by the evaporating fuel.

Of course, what you describe as a "sucking sound" might be fumes escaping.

briholt 10-04-2013 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by scope103 (Post 52124954)
Sucking? That's bad. The "vented" fuel cap allows air in (otherwise, the fuel pump would either crush the tank as it emptied, or more likely, would eventually not be able to pump against the vacuum). It does not allow fumes (or any gas) out; that's what goes to the evap canister. So you should hear fumes escaping, not sucking, as the tank is lightly pressurized by the evaporating fuel. Of course, what you describe as a "sucking sound" might be fumes escaping.

Well it looks like I'll have to pay more attention to it next time.

briholt 10-06-2013 05:41 PM

I was backwards, it was pressurized

I had it backwards. checked again today and it was pressurized, not a vacuum.

Originally Posted by scope103 (Post 52124954)
Sucking? That's bad. The "vented" fuel cap allows air in (otherwise, the fuel pump would either crush the tank as it emptied, or more likely, would eventually not be able to pump against the vacuum). It does not allow fumes (or any gas) out; that's what goes to the evap canister.

So you should hear fumes escaping, not sucking, as the tank is lightly pressurized by the evaporating fuel.

Of course, what you describe as a "sucking sound" might be fumes escaping.