Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone pulled the carpet and put rhino on the interior floors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone pulled the carpet and put rhino on the interior floors?

I am looking for some pictures of someone who has done this.

My 4Runner will be a beach-only rig, very rarely driven daily. I want to pull the carpet out and put a liner on the floor to make it a little bit easier to clean it up.

I am thinking about doing the smooth Durabak, this way the sand/dirt wont get caught in the divits in the rough/textured coating, and it's easier to clean.

Has anyone done this?

How about just removing the carpet. Any tricks? How are all of the wires routed? Are they between the carpet and the body, or do they run them through the body?

Thanks
Shawn
Old 02-04-2006, 01:17 PM

hmm, i have thought about it to make it more rugged...but, after i puller the carpets up, there just seems like there is way to much electrical wiring to thing about rhino lining it. Unless you relocate all you wires, it will be a mess.

Umm, i assume you have a 2nd gen? If you do, remember, this thing isnt a jeep, its meant to have luxuries, and rhino lining it just doest fit into the picture, for me anyway. Try doing like a rubber covering or something, instead of the carpet, that woulld be cool
Old 02-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There isn't that much in the 1st gens as far as wiring. I took all my carpet out about a year ago, and the only thing about it is the noise.

I sprayed on a "undercoating" over the paint, it stuck, but the slightest bit of heat inside the truck would melt it and it ran. Also, these kind of spray on or roll on liners are really hard to clean. there is always dirt and grass and pebbles and everything else in my floor. When I get some money I plan on getting the full vinyl flooring for my runner. its not mats, but more like carpet, but vinyl. JC whitney has it. Thats what I'd recommend. I may even put carpet pad under it.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Take the carpet out, clean it up, spray paint it black w/ rattle can, put the door sill trim back on and don't waste your time w/ that DIY liner stuff...waste of time IMO. Now if you are going to PAY to have the professional stuff sprayed in, then go for it. Lifetime warranty, looks great. Wiring rerouting in a 1st gen is easy.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:48 PM

I've got a 2nd Gen, SR5 model.

I've done the 'DIY' durabak on my boat, and it is awesome...turned ou great:

They also make a 'smooth' durabak, no texture. It is self leveling, and would make it MUCH easier to clean (as opposed to the textured kind). That is the route I was considering.

However, I will probably just pull my carpet and pressure wash it, and see how it looks afterwards. It's pretty clean with no wear spots, just a few small stains.

Do they make a 'vinyl floor' for the 2nd gen? If so, that would be the ticket.

Thanks
Shawn