Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Anyone have experiance with this 22RE head off Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone have experiance with this 22RE head off Ebay?

Getting ready to do a complete engine rebuild and want some more power looking at this head price is good but don't know any thing about them hoping some of you here might.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 04-13-2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Title clarity per posted sticky
Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 AM

I bought a head from J & C Enterprises a few years ago and I haven't had any trouble out of it at all. Mine was remanufactured and they installed the engnbldr oversized valves and a Crane Stage 2 cam. I don't know why they changed their name from J&C to what it is now but it was J&C Enterprises when I bought from them.

I assume mine was a remanned OEM head so it's not the same as that one, but I had experience with the company so I thought I'd chime in.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hi,

I bought a new head of ebay- used are touchy for electrolysis. Not this guy- he doesn't ship to Canada. Most are made offshore (read China) the casting and machine work seem better than oe, but 19 years does make a difference in manufacturing. I cannot vouch for the alloy. I put Engblders OS ss valves in had them back cut, and a set of his springs, the smallest Comp bumpstick they make for the 22r(e), lightly ported the heads, intake, and TB. Just sitting there looking pretty until I get off my ass and do the timing chain. Careful with the gaskets use OEM that incudes valve seals.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
hmmm, intersting

'scribed
Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just don't buy one from cylinder heads international. They don't do quality testing and sent me a cylinder head with faulty valve seals. My 4runner smoked bad on startup. Had my old cylinder head tested and repaired as necessary and it worked perfectly, no smoke, ran great.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
I bought a head from J & C Enterprises a few years ago and I haven't had any trouble out of it at all. Mine was remanufactured and they installed the engnbldr oversized valves and a Crane Stage 2 cam. I don't know why they changed their name from J&C to what it is now but it was J&C Enterprises when I bought from them.

I assume mine was a remanned OEM head so it's not the same as that one, but I had experience with the company so I thought I'd chime in.
OK well t/y I talked with them and asked a lot of questions and they are only about 100 miles away so I may go there to "come on out and I will give you a full tour so you can feel comfortable you are getting a quality part tour"

Originally Posted by davefarr
Hi,

I bought a new head of ebay- used are touchy for electrolysis. Not this guy- he doesn't ship to Canada. Most are made offshore (read China) the casting and machine work seem better than oe, but 19 years does make a difference in manufacturing. I cannot vouch for the alloy. I put Engblders OS ss valves in had them back cut, and a set of his springs, the smallest Comp bumpstick they make for the 22r(e), lightly ported the heads, intake, and TB. Just sitting there looking pretty until I get off my ass and do the timing chain. Careful with the gaskets use OEM that incudes valve seals.
YEA I will going with the MASTER REBUILD water & oil pump front cover and 268 cam from engnbldr once the block is checked I don't want to worry about this hotrod 22re after it's rebuilt for many years and miles to come.

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
hmmm, intersting

'scribed
Will keep updated after the TOUR to see if it was worth it or not
Old 04-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
Will keep updated after the TOUR to see if it was worth it or not
right on; I'll keep my eyes upon the thread
Old 07-14-2009, 05:06 PM

I know this thread is old; but the head J&C just shipped me was such a POS I am taking time out of my day to bash them.

I got their "High performance" 22RE Rebuilt Head off E-bay with the Engnbldr O/S Valves in it. It looked nice to the naked eye... well mostly...really it was just clean.

I took it to my local trusted machine shop and the dude who had just finished my shortblock, which i was there to pick up; inspected it with me (for FREE)

He took out 1 intake & 1 exhaust valve and we inspected...The "Free Spring Height" should be a min 1.910" i believe. The 2 we had out measured up to 1.853" & 1.842". Below spec and in need of replacement. Then to the spring pressure, a HIGHLY IMPORTANT number! Spec is a min of 66Lbs or replace, J&C's came to 50 & 45 respectivley. REDICLOUS!

When I aksed J & C about the valve springs and told them what i had found they told me this. "Those springs are not new, they are used and out of another motor which is not a toyota that has higher spring pressure." I said BUT THEY ARE WEAKER THAN NEW STOCK SPRINGS!

J & C said "If you dont like the head sent it back"

Weak springs lead to "Valve Float" which is where the engine dosent run properly because of valves not opening or closing in a timley manner from weak valve springs.

Then we checked the top of the head where the valve cover gasket goes. Not straight at all, 1 whole side was crapily welded on and ground (not even straight at all). The valve cover gasket would have leaked from day 1.

Now on the the milling... Before i purchased this head I called them and spoke to the head dude. When I asked him how much the head was milled he replied "We mill .020 (20 Thousandths) off all of them". That is a lot, near the limit. Being on a budget i still went with it.

When my machinist measured it they had milled it .040!!! Twice what they said. My machinist told my the max was .020 to .025 and at .040 the head was garbage. He said he would never mill a head that much as it is past spec.

All in All it was a total POS in every way! Now they are delaying the hell out of my build and screwing around with the return/refund process!

Bottom line is this NEVER BUY A HEAD FROM THESE IDIOTS, THEY SUCK!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I'm hoping OlHarley didn't get that one...That really sucks that you had such a time with them. Now I have not priced heads at a bone yard lately but why not get one from there and have it done to your liking? I think that's what I would have done. At least have yours redone. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Well I'm hoping OlHarley didn't get that one...That really sucks that you had such a time with them. Now I have not priced heads at a bone yard lately but why not get one from there and have it done to your liking? I think that's what I would have done. At least have yours redone. Just my thoughts.
The Machine work alone is about $280, this assumes only the basic minimum stuff. If ANYTHING else needs done it costs more. The only way to know is to take it to the machine shop and have them do it. $280 + $58 for O/S valves & $58 for springs & $12 for shipping = $408, now lets say there is $50 in misc labor & $30 in gas there and back, thats $488 for a rebuild head, maybe more.

For $497 you can get the brand new Engnbldr Street RV Top-line head with the O/S valves & RV springs already in it & set up by a pro with these motors. And no driving involved, shipped right to my door.

Just sucks that J & C is so terrible. The old saying holds true "You get what you pay for."
Old 07-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Krawler
I know this thread is old; but the head J&C just shipped me was such a POS I am taking time out of my day to bash them.

I got their "High performance" 22RE Rebuilt Head off E-bay with the Engnbldr O/S Valves in it. It looked nice to the naked eye... well mostly...really it was just clean.

I took it to my local trusted machine shop and the dude who had just finished my shortblock, which i was there to pick up; inspected it with me (for FREE)

He took out 1 intake & 1 exhaust valve and we inspected...The "Free Spring Height" should be a min 1.910" i believe. The 2 we had out measured up to 1.853" & 1.842". Below spec and in need of replacement. Then to the spring pressure, a HIGHLY IMPORTANT number! Spec is a min of 66Lbs or replace, J&C's came to 50 & 45 respectivley. REDICLOUS!

When I aksed J & C about the valve springs and told them what i had found they told me this. "Those springs are not new, they are used and out of another motor which is not a toyota that has higher spring pressure." I said BUT THEY ARE WEAKER THAN NEW STOCK SPRINGS!

J & C said "If you dont like the head sent it back"

Weak springs lead to "Valve Float" which is where the engine dosent run properly because of valves not opening or closing in a timley manner from weak valve springs.

Then we checked the top of the head where the valve cover gasket goes. Not straight at all, 1 whole side was crapily welded on and ground (not even straight at all). The valve cover gasket would have leaked from day 1.

Now on the the milling... Before i purchased this head I called them and spoke to the head dude. When I asked him how much the head was milled he replied "We mill .020 (20 Thousandths) off all of them". That is a lot, near the limit. Being on a budget i still went with it.

When my machinist measured it they had milled it .040!!! Twice what they said. My machinist told my the max was .020 to .025 and at .040 the head was garbage. He said he would never mill a head that much as it is past spec.

All in All it was a total POS in every way! Now they are delaying the hell out of my build and screwing around with the return/refund process!

Bottom line is this NEVER BUY A HEAD FROM THESE IDIOTS, THEY SUCK!!!
Give me our address and pay for shipping and I will send you a used head that should be in good shape still it came off a running motor with a 171k on it the guy pulled the crank and I bought the rest of the block and is the one I am rebuilding so if you want the head for shipping cost pm me

Originally Posted by Lumpy
NO I got a SWEET DEAL on A L.C.E. Pro Street Head and cam $40 dollars more $320 to my door could not get a better deal anywhere.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Well guys as an update and a further reinforcement to NEVER BUY FROM THESE FOOLS... I would like you all to see how to use this as an example of; If it seems too good to be true, it usually is...... In this case it was.

After them royally f ing me on the POS they sent me; and me returning it to them. Which cost me $35 to ship + lots of aggravation (and I mean LOTS!)

They STOLE MY CORE! That's right folks not only are they totally incompetent when it comes to machining a head; they are THIEVS! They refused to send me my core back without paying $50 for S&H. I was yelling at the owner for long periods of time over several calls and this was the best they would do.

After contemplating things like calling their local police, filing a complaint with pay pal, ect.. The owner threatened to "Charge you the 35% restocking fee which the add states we can do." Much worse deal if they had done that. So I had no choice but to back off.

In the end they refunded me my $269 which was the original purchase price W/shipping.

And so now here I sit, built short block sitting in my garage still bagged from the machine shop. Empty engine bay, and out $35 bucks, a complete cylinder head, and about 2 months of aggravation.

I do have another 22re head in what seems to be sound shape, HOWEVER the cost of the valves + springs + S&H + machine work + gas adds up to about $430 - $500. Depending on what all work the head needs, even then you still have a rebuilt head. For $500 you can get the Engnbldr street RV head with the O/S valves in it. Sigh..... so now I’m about 230 short too...

Moral to the story: SCREW J&C ENTERPRISES!

Last edited by 4Krawler; 08-15-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Krawler
Well guys as an update and a further reinforcement to NEVER BUY FROM THESE FOOLS... I would like you all to see how to use this as an example of; If it seems too good to be true, it usually is...... In this case it was.

After them royally f ing me on the POS they sent me; and me returning it to them. Which cost me $35 to ship + lots of aggravation (and I mean LOTS!)

They STOLE MY CORE! That's right folds not only are they totally incompetent when it comes to machining a head; they are THIEVS! They refused to send me my core back without paying $50 for S&H. I was yelling at the owner for long periods of time over several calls and this was the best they would do.

After contemplating things like calling their local police, filing a complaint with pay pal, ect.. The owner threatened to "Charge you the 35% restocking fee which the add states we can do." Much worse deal if they had done that. So I had no choice but to back off.

In the end they refunded me my $269 which was the original purchase price W/shipping.

And so now here I sit, built short block sitting in my garage still bagged from the machine shop. Empty engine bay, and out $35 bucks, a complete cylinder head, and about 2 months of aggravation.

I do have another 22re head in what seems to be sound shape, HOWEVER the cost of the valves + springs + S&H + machine work + gas adds up to about $430 - $500. Depending on what all work the head needs, even then you still have a rebuilt head. For $500 you can get the Engnbldr street RV head with the O/S valves in it. Sigh..... so now I’m about 230 short too...

Moral to the story: SCREW J&C ENTERPRISES!
I am so glad I did not get that head oh the things I would have done to there shop if I was in your position anyway if you need it I still have that head here.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:48 AM

J&C did me pretty right. My head is still running strong.

No matter how tight a companies Q&A is there's always going to be a few that slip through the cracks. It's just a shame you got screwed as bad as you did there.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
I am so glad I did not get that head oh the things I would have done to there shop if I was in your position anyway if you need it I still have that head here.

Harleyman yes you def. are lucky you didnt get this head! I think since you are within driving distance the return may have gone a bit better for you. You could have driven there and swapped them their POS for your core. The main problem with me was being in AZ i had to pay to ship them their POS and if i wanted my core back I would have had to pay for that too, which i didnt want to do.

Your offer gets more tempting by the day....thanks again. I'll PM you if i decide to go that route.

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
J&C did me pretty right. My head is still running strong.

No matter how tight a companies Q&A is there's always going to be a few that slip through the cracks. It's just a shame you got screwed as bad as you did there.

Ovrrdrive your good experence with them was one of the things that helped me decide to go with that head in the first place. Thanks for the input, it may have been a case of this one slipping through the cracks. However there were many things wrong with the one I recieved. Glad yours was OK. May just have been a bad core they rebuilt, and worn out used springs from a Non-Yota motor they used but I would hope they wouldnt be using bad core or springs! I mean all they do is heads!!! You would think they would at least bother to check this stuff...

Sweet @$$ Yota BTW
Old 08-16-2009, 04:25 AM

I also got mine a few years ago and anything could have happened since then. I'll also say that in the box it looked like a shiny new head but after handling it I noticed the nice new color was rubbing off on my hands. They had painted silver over the head to make it look new. They even pained the top of it so the paint would mix with the oil. Other than that though it has seemed like a good head.

Like I said though it has been a few years since then. I bought that head right after I became a member here so it has been since 2006. If they're sending junk like you got out now it may be best to avoid them.