Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Am I stupid for choosing current 94 3.0l over 96 3.4l???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I stupid for choosing current 94 3.0l over 96 3.4l???

Ok, I bought my current 3vze 8k miles ago. It's in awesome shape with no rust anywhere (I sand/paint any when I do work under the truck). I've replaced every fluid and done every maintenance item with the exception of the timing belt which I plan on waiting until January (after hunting season ends). The inside and outside are immaculate with no tears, dents, anything... I like the way the engine sounds. I love all the guages and I love the feel of the driver's seat and I love the way the truck looks and drives.

Well, I've been thinking about the HG issues and I happened to see a 1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 146200miles - $3000 in my local craiglist (and no e-locker) It's got a cracked windshield, non-working seatbelt and sunroof, stuck rear hatch, surface rust throughout frame, worst on the weld areas (possibly body, couldn't really tell). His truck came from the Midwest and has since lived on/near the beach. There is a big dent in the rear hatch and bumper and the inside has tears and worn spots throughout. It drives nice and has more pickup but I'm happy with my acceleration in the 3vze. The maintenance has been kept up from what I can tell. He just did a 120k mile service which he said replaced everything at the dealership. The oil has been changed every 3k miles and I couldn't see any oil spots on the engine (vice mine which did have oil dripping from everywhere but I recently replaced my vlv cover and cam seals). There are no power windows. The roof rack bars are missing. He's never had any problems with the rotors or rear axle seals. The truck has never been wrecked and never had any mechanical issues with the engine, transmission, or 4wd components.

So the point is that I don't want to buy his truck and have to sell mine (which I will, I refuse to pay insurance and gas and maintenance on 2 4runners). I fully believe mine would sell for at least 4.5k (I paid 5k for it 8k miles ago). Am I being stupid? Just how serious should I be about the HG issues with my truck? Oh, and I don't think I have the money or ability to do a motor swap (other than to put a reman 3.0L in mine which would still take all of my ability and then some...).
Old 08-02-2006, 07:43 PM

I got 181K on my 90. I did have a burnt valve at 130K, but sounds like your 3.0L is in better overall shape than the newer one. If you like the styling and drivability of the 94, Id keep it. I would like the 3.4L myself for better engine performance but not at the cost of a crappy looking torn up truck. Enjoy what you got unless you want to take the money you have to fix and repair the 96.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:51 PM

It sounds like your 94 is in MUCH better shape. It might even be included in the HG recall. Give the dealer a call, have your VIN number ready, and ask them about it. If it is, that should be some peace of mind for you. Personally, I'd keep the 94. The 96 you described sounds like it's been through the ringer.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People say the 3.0 is the worst engine in the world (with Toyotas I mean), but by the sounds of it, yours will last for a very long time. Unless you are going to wheel really hard, then I would keep your 94, but if you want to beat the crap out of something, then go with the 96. There is nothing wrong with being a weekend warrior wheeler and using your rig for everything else, and having a nice looking rig will make it that much more satisfying.

If you want more power, just do some mods rather then buying an entire new rig just to get a little bit more power.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You would only be stupid if you paid that much money for a beat up POS like you are describing. I'd offer him 800. To replace a truck that is in good shape that you are taking care of for one that is going to need that much work?

Another thing to keep in mind is that if the cosmetics are that beat up, more than likely the mechanicals were not as well taken care of either.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the responses. I just didn't want to make a rash decision and regret it later. My headgaskets were covered under the TSB at around 85k or so? The PO said he had never had any problems but the dealer did confirm that the HG were done under the TSB.

I enjoy my truck a lot, though. I honestly think that after I finish the auto-rx treatment and do the timing belt (including replacing the front cam seals) that my oil leaks will be gone. Other than that my current ride is awesome. I love the low-end torque and I never drive over 70 mph.

I'm also planning on taking off the roof rack in the next day or so. I read on here somewhere that that will also help my gas mileage a little. Currently I'm getting 17 and any more would be appreciated!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like a great truck! I have a '94 4x4 xtracab & have never had any engine issues. I now have @ 202k miles on it.
ENJOY!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That '96 is in horrible shape, you definitely shouldn't buy it! Just be happy with your treuck, you should be fine. As for a newer 4Runner, wait for a while and buy one farther down the road before you consider one, and then only if you aren't happy with the 3.0's power.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by navyredneck
Thanks for the responses. I just didn't want to make a rash decision and regret it later. My headgaskets were covered under the TSB at around 85k or so? The PO said he had never had any problems but the dealer did confirm that the HG were done under the TSB.

I enjoy my truck a lot, though. I honestly think that after I finish the auto-rx treatment and do the timing belt (including replacing the front cam seals) that my oil leaks will be gone. Other than that my current ride is awesome. I love the low-end torque and I never drive over 70 mph.

I'm also planning on taking off the roof rack in the next day or so. I read on here somewhere that that will also help my gas mileage a little. Currently I'm getting 17 and any more would be appreciated!
Yeah I think I'd keep the 94, I love that generation. Just make sure you don't overheat the 3.0. Keeping up the radiator/cooling system is a good idea.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:10 AM

In addition to help you make up your mind. The 96 did have issues with the headgasket.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:15 AM

The 3.0 is a poor design in terms of power and the headgasket weakness. But, if you take care of it, it's a very reliable engine. You've got a good truck on your hands.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Just make sure you don't overheat the 3.0. Keeping up the radiator/cooling system is a good idea.
sound advice right there. i use to dog on the 3vze myself, but after some research, its not that bad, just has some design flaws, most can be fixed. there are multiple threads in here about people doing buildups on the 3vz's, and it looks like we got cams now too! so sounds like u should stick with the 94. that 96 may be somewhat cheap(ive never found a 3rd gen in dallas that cheap, except wrecked!) by the time you fix it up, i think you will have spent more than its worth. and id be worried about the rust on the welds.
i still think the best description of rust was one i read somewhere:

the only difference between rust and fire is time.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

I would love to have my dad's 97 3.4 limited its overall a much nicer car then my 2nd gen and very capable from what i've see. But I'm young and its nice to have a reliable 2nd gen 5spd that I don't have to worry about to much. Its a great car for a teen ager like me and I love the way it looks and feels. The 3.0 is lacking a little for me but its a good power plant overall. So really Its what ever you want. However from the sounds of it I would take your 94 over that 96 anyday..... However hmm beat up 3rd gen.... 3.4 swap anyone?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

It sounds like you have a great 2nd Gen on your hands. I'd keep it! (I really like mine!)
Old 08-04-2006, 05:04 AM

that 96 has too much cosmetic and rust damage to be even considered. You say the guy did the 120k mile service. How do you know what condition the truck was in prior to that service? And as for the rust, thats just as bad as leprosy and it never ends unless you replace body panels