86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Air in and air out- Intake to exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Air in and air out- Intake to exhaust question

I'm looking to match the amount of air coming into the engine (89 22re) with the amount of air that is being pushed out the tail pipe.

I have the Supra VAFM on there and it is throaty as heck when I stand on it and I KNOW it pulls more air than the factory VAFM did. Ok I read that the factory head will only move about 130cfm and since I have no idea how much air the VAFM pulls or how much of a restriction the throttle body is I'm going to guess that 130cfm is pretty good yes?

Ok I'm looking at the LC engineering header that is the direct bolt in and hooks back up to the cat at the factory location. Easy as pie. I've also read that the cat/muffler can be a choke point but both of them are in great wroking order.

So I guess the real question in this rats nest of babble is do any of you know if there is a way to figure the correct (balanced maybe) amount of air that the 22re should flow when you do something as simple as adding a larger VAFM or larger exhaust?

Keep in mind that a header or a larger TB is something I can do in the garage. A new head is more expensive and more in depth than I can go right now.

Thank you.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the stock head is rated to flow 130CFM. You can do porting, OS valves, bigger ports (when casted), etc. This is how you make the CFM number larger. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it is that a head that flows, let say a proclaimed 130CFM, flows 130CFM at it's max. Which means that the way things sit in that head, it can flow a MAX of CFM. This doens't mean it's constantly flowing 130CFM at all times.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:19 PM

Fishing trip, busted muffler. Need sugestions

So went fishing today and the fishing was good. I put 9 bass on the bank in just under two hours but the five hour trip out there trying to find the place and the four hour trip home kind of killed it. All in all I drove 9 hours for 9 fish but I'm sure you can all agree that a long day spent driving to go fishing is a hell of a lot better than a short day driving to work (Matt16, care to comment?).

So with regards to the muffler mentioned in the title I did find something out. It seems that 170+ miles one way (the long shot on the way home) at 85mph and 3800rpms will make a 20 year old muffler fail. On the front of it where the exhaust pipe goes in it came apart and only stayed with the vehicle due to the hanger in the back near the tail pipe.

I need a new muffler, soon. I've looked at some aftermarkets but they are expensive but not nearly as pricey as an OEM from Toyota. So since I'm trying to figure out the air flow thing with the Supra VAFM and the header from LC do one of you have a muffler that you can recommend for a near silent operation? I don't need or want a loud assed rig, this is not a ricer.

On a better note I did manage to get 29.3mpg on the way home, I'm thinking the factory muffler was a little plugged up.

Thank you and good fishing!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Erik Beeman
Yes, the stock head is rated to flow 130CFM. You can do porting, OS valves, bigger ports (when casted), etc. This is how you make the CFM number larger. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it is that a head that flows, let say a proclaimed 130CFM, flows 130CFM at it's max. Which means that the way things sit in that head, it can flow a MAX of CFM. This doens't mean it's constantly flowing 130CFM at all times.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
So does the head become the choke point? If so then I'll do the exhaust (there is another thread on this due to an issue that happened today) and just live with it. I can't afford a head.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1hr/fish is a pretty fair average Junk. A lot of people run Magnaflow mufflers. If all you want is a cheap quiet "can" you could grab pretty much any Pepboi pos and clamp it in. That would keep you legal while you research your "matched" set up.
You may be able to use a muffler repair kit as well.
I'll merge the two threads for you as well.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Get a Magnaflow.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
I'll merge the two threads for you as well.
Thanks for letting me know, I was lost as heck when I couldn't find the other one.

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Get a Magnaflow.
Which one? Is there a part number and is it a clamp on type like the OEM?

Guys tell me which one to get that will (hopefully) match the Supra VAFM and the LC header and I'll buy it in the morning.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you still have the stock cat i would replace it also, the original cats that were put on our trucks are very restrictive, go with a high flow cat and a magnaflow muffler using 2 1/4'' pipe and you will have and you will have a good exhaust that flows better than stock.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bear with me.

130 cubic feet per minute = 3681.2 liters per minute. Engine displaces (cylinder volume including combustion chamber in the head with piston at bottom dead center) approximately 2.4liters. A 4 cycle engine draws air in each cylinder once every other crankshaft revolution so air drawn in per revolution = 2.4 / 2 = 1.2 liters. At 5500 RPMs, there is the potential for 6600 liters of air flow... nearly twice the head's capability. (side thought: the torque peak occurs at approximately the point where engine flow equals intake flow... torque peak at just over 1/2 way to red line, head flow just under 1/2 the potential flow at redline?)
We have to take into consideration things like those little valves that have to open and close every other revolution and the camshaft profile. The camshaft determines when, how far and for how long the valves stay open. Due to that, the valves also restrict flow. Also, as RPM's increase, the valve events become shorter resulting in less time for air to enter the engine, which is why you rarely see an engine with a power curve that doesn't drop off above some particular RPM. This also causes less time for the exhaust to exit the engine which in turn contaminates the fresh air entering the engine resulting in a drop in power. Which brings us to the exhaust manifold, which I'm not going to go into details other than if you have restrictions / turbulence in the exhaust flow, you'll lose power too since those will prevent the maximum amount of exhaust from being purged from the engine.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-09-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Which one? Is there a part number and is it a clamp on type like the OEM?
I have a Downey header and 2.5" exhaust with a Magflow hiflow cat and muffler

Muffler part number: 11226
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-11226/

Hiflow cat: 94006
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-94006/

Mine is all bolted together. I would recommend getting it welded, mine has started to slip but it's also been atleast three years since I installed it.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry about the merging if it messed you up Junk. I got the impression that you started two related threads by mistake and wanted them fixed lol...
Old 08-09-2009, 04:03 PM

I have a Downey header and 2.5" exhaust with a Magflow hiflow cat and muffler

Muffler part number: 11226
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-11226/

Hiflow cat: 94006
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-94006/

Mine is all bolted together. I would recommend getting it welded, mine has started to slip but it's also been atleast three years since I installed it.
Thanks for the part numbers! That will help.

Originally Posted by aviator
Sorry about the merging if it messed you up Junk. I got the impression that you started two related threads by mistake and wanted them fixed lol...
No worries!
Old 08-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Are you gonna run 2.25 or 2.5" exhaust tubing??
Old 08-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Are you gonna run 2.25 or 2.5" exhaust tubing??
I'm looking at this set up.

This header.
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...E-AFD57B01689E

And this exhaust.
http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Engine...stSystems.html

2.5" all the way to the back. I am a little concerned though that the Downey set doesn't say whether or not it's a high flow cat.

Hell I may be better off ordering the header from LC and then the cat/muffler from Summit and just have the local place weld them in.

How does yours sound and did it make any difference in torque/acceleration/mpg?

Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Well, unfortunately the word on the net is that Downey is shutting down. I bought all my exhaust stuff from them: their header and full exhaust back which included the Magnaflow muffler and cat that I gave you numbers for. I think your plan is a good one.

The exhaust deffinately opened up some hp on my rig. I like the sound, but that doesn't mean you will. It is kinda loud but it's not hipitched ricey. Its a lower tone.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:58 PM

Well, unfortunately the word on the net is that Downey is shutting down. I bought all my exhaust stuff from them: their header and full exhaust back which included the Magnaflow muffler and cat that I gave you numbers for. I think your plan is a good one.

The exhaust deffinately opened up some hp on my rig. I like the sound, but that doesn't mean you will. It is kinda loud but it's not hipitched ricey. Its a lower tone.
Yeah I understand. What kills me is I KNEW when the muffler busted. I went from 3800rpms and 85mph to a "boost" that topped out at 4600rpms and just past 100mph in a matter of less than a quarter mile, when I looked down at the tach and speedo I was stunned. Let me tell you that running those rpms at that speed and still knocking down 29mpg is freaking AMAZING! The muffler was the limiting factor, it was so plugged up after 20+ years that it restricted the air flow. I don't mind dropping the coins for a new set up but at almost 800$ I'm having a hard time telling myself that it's worth it. I have the money but that's a HUGE amount to spend on some pipe and such.

If it was you would you go this route? I ask because we run pretty much the same rigs (sort of) but I spend a lot of time over-the-road going to fishing/camping spots and limited time off road getting to the lakes.

Bigblue I trust your opinion and advice. I do have the money for the upgrade and plan to put a lot more than the 221,652 miles that the rig has on it.... well, on it. But 800$ is just over half of what I paid for the truck. I have more than that in it but crap that's a lot of money for exhaust.

Thanks little brother.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:07 PM

go to a local muffler shop, have them custom bend up some exhaust with a magnaflow

it should be cheaper
Old 08-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
If it was you would you go this route? I ask because we run pretty much the same rigs (sort of) but I spend a lot of time over-the-road going to fishing/camping spots and limited time off road getting to the lakes.

Bigblue I trust your opinion and advice. I do have the money for the upgrade and plan to put a lot more than the 221,652 miles that the rig has on it.... well, on it. But 800$ is just over half of what I paid for the truck. I have more than that in it but crap that's a lot of money for exhaust.

Thanks little brother.
Spend the money on the Header, period. I went back and forth over Downey vs LCE for months. I went with Downey because I could get it cermic coated, it was a little less expensive, the O2 sensor is in the factory spot and I was a returning customer and wanted to support their business. The exhaust kit, eh. Find a distributor(I'm sure you can get it cheaper than Summit anyways) and get the Magnaflow muffler/hiflow cat and have a local fab the pipe work if you're wanting to save some money. I would have it welded though, my clamps have started to slip and I've tighted and double clamped. That was after years of abuse though.

As far as 2.25" vs 2.5" exhaust goes, I dunno. If I ever get another rig I'll probably try the LCE 2.25" exhaust kit. With the 3" intake in thanks to the Supra AFM and the 2.5" exhaust from Downey, the head is my restriction.

I like doing things myself, so a bolt on kit was perfect for me and I would do it again. It was kinda cringing to see that $800 going away, but I had a good kit that was going to work for MY truck. The labor to have some shop put the header in and then run the exhaust could be more that getting both the header kit and the exhaust kit and doing it yourself would have.

Also, were you going to use the original studs to mount the header or buy ones from LCE? I used the original ones and when I had my motor rebuilt I put new studs and locknuts(from Downey) on. Just a though.

Man that was long winded! LOL!
Old 08-10-2009, 11:36 AM

Well I just got back from getting an inexpensive OEM replacement welded on and a small piece of pipe put in. I have a last minute fishing trip to Heron lake that came up and I'll be leaving on Thursday and there is no way that I'd be able to get that stuff ordered, shipped, delivered and installed between now and then. I had to do something so I did.

Thanks for all the advice folks! At least now I know what to get and from who.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Just a thought for the future...I'm not sure how long it will last before it rusts out but I came across some 2.25 schedule 40. I'm using the stock manifold, I have the 2.25 connected just past the collector (the iddy biddy "Y") for now I'm not running a cat until I need one and I got a cheap-o muffler from ebay. Which I later found that Advanced Auto had the same for $8.00 less. Now it's far from quite but it sounds nice, she's not ricey turd. It works and sounds nice, when in fact I need a cat I'll get a high flow put in and go with it.

Quick Reply: Air in and air out- Intake to exhaust question