86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advise on purchasing an '86 truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise on purchasing an '86 truck

I looked at an '86 X-tra cab 4x4 with the 22RE and automatic today. It's got 197k miles, and is in pretty good shape for being in New England. The owner (who may be reading this, I don't know... if so, hi!) has done quite a bit of sheet metal work on the bed, although it isn't perfect. The tailgate looked rough. It's been repainted, not bad, but again, not perfect. The frame looks clean, it too has been painted, and I couldn't see any rusty spots. It took a bit to start up, then seemed to blow a lot of steam/white smoke out the tailpipe. Didn't smell like coolant, so I'm thinking it was because it's cold and the owner flooded the engine trying to start it. I took it for a spin around his property, as it's not registered and couldn't take it on the road. Put it in drive, and it just wouldn't go. The engine revved, but no go. Put it in L, and it took off, then shifted to 2 and D, and it seemed fine. Reverse is ok too. I got it a little stuck in a snowbank, put it in 4H, and it walked right out. No funny noises from the front end.

When I got home, I did some searching here, and it seems like the tranny problem might be solenoids, which doesn't seem like a big deal, if that's it. The owner said he's been driving it like this for a while, and it works fine, you just have to start with the transmission selector in L, then shift up. The truck didn't give me warm fuzzy feelings, but clean 2nd gen trucks are hard to find around here. I really would like a 2nd gen pickup. Of course an '85 would be ideal, but I don't think that's going to happen. I don't plan any hardcore wheeling, so I think IFS is ok. And I would prefer an automatic (I know...). He's asking $1500 for it. Does that sound fair? Should I even pursue this, or run away? There should be a pic attached to this post. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Advise on purchasing an '86 truck-020070218011651.jpg  
Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks nice and for $1500 seems fair i would much rather have a 5spd
Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
O.K., I'll go first then. Oops second, almost. $1500 a little too much, try gettin' him down some from that. You must either like working on transmissions, or just the idea sounds cool. More power to ya, whichever is the case. I enjoy making something, from little or nothing, myself. I personally would want to have a good first impression from the entire drivetrain. Mainly sound engine, sound transmission. Minimal rust is next on my list. The rest off the stuff on these trucks is, relatively cheap, and easy to replace or upgrade. So my final decision is $1000 or run. Get more advice before making your choice, I don't know everything, despite what I believe on occasion.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-24-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:31 PM

the whole trans thing would make me very wary....but other then that it sounds like a good deal...i would also offer less tho...start at 1k, see what he says, if he says no, then walk away and give it a few days, then call him back and make another offer...
Old 02-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Drama Queen/Banned

Keep in mind what a trans rebuild costs and you can find something in better shape. IMO I would not buy a car that has horrible body work with fresh paint over it.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:55 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really into transmission work, but from the posts I've seen on tranny solenoids, it looks do-able. I have no desire or ability to do body work, so finding a good frame and clean body is the first priority. There are lots of rusted frame and body Toyotas around here, so I can probably find a decent drivetrain in a rusted out truck for a few hundred, if need be.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:30 AM

I would pass on it. The tranny is already showing signs of impending death, it could leave you stranded on your first drive home. I'd also be very skeptical of any vehicle that has been "painted" right before being put up for sale. The truck probably has a couple buckets of bondo in it
Old 02-25-2007, 07:29 AM

I myself prefer autos. I like not wearing my shoulder out, and I think they are eaiser to tow with. (no slipping, burning clutch)
Anyway, I would beat on the frame with a ball peen to see if there is any bondo covering big rust holes. Body issues... who cares?
Solenoids: I think that could be easy enough, it could be a loose wire, who knows? I would take it to a mechanic, pay the once over fee, and have them check the motor out.
I would offer the guy 1000 cash and carry no more. Even if you really like it, walk away if he says no.
There are better trucks out there.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:00 AM

Definitely get that tranny looked at by a pro. Yeah it could be a solenoid or a wire - but it could just as easily need a new tranny! Bodywork, paint - who cares. Check the frame for rust really good though.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:53 AM

Well, the owner actually operates a small garage, so I guess it has been looked at by a pro. He says it's no big deal, just start in L, then shift up. I don't think it's freshly painted for the sale, and I looked hard for bondo, and didn't find any. If I do decide to get it, I will crawl under and pound on the frame. I'm leaning away from it right now, as I have an '86 2wd that's in great shape, and does almost everything I want. I'll probably just keep my eyes open for that perfect '85 with a solid axle and fuel injection!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:37 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a magnet with you. I didn't "see" any bondo in mine either, but the rear fenders are completely gone and bondo sculptured back in. A magnet falls right off of them.

The automatics were horribly matched to the engines (overdrive is too tall) and you suffer bigtime in power and gas mileage. I would definitely skip this one and keep looking for a manual.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chris862wd
Well, the owner actually operates a small garage, so I guess it has been looked at by a pro. He says it's no big deal, just start in L, then shift up. I don't think it's freshly painted for the sale, and I looked hard for bondo, and didn't find any. If I do decide to get it, I will crawl under and pound on the frame. I'm leaning away from it right now, as I have an '86 2wd that's in great shape, and does almost everything I want. I'll probably just keep my eyes open for that perfect '85 with a solid axle and fuel injection!
What I meant was: get it looked at by your OWN pro.