YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   About to purchase an 88 4Runner (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/about-purchase-88-4runner-305458/)

mbomberz1 08-23-2018 06:39 PM

About to purchase an 88 4Runner

Super excited to get my pickups twin! I wanted to stop by and share my excitement with you guys as well as get some last minute advice for anything I should double check on the 4Runners as they are new to me.

What I know, I have not seen it in person, its a 4 hour drive with a trailer:
  • Manual
  • Power Everything? Its got AC, Windows, Mirrors, Cruise Control
  • Sounds like a little bit of a wiring mess, wont start, blew a fuse last time he tried.
  • Been rewired for a push button starter..
  • Sitting for 3 years, started once a year. Was a project truck he never started on.
  • ~214k miles but odo stopped working a year before he stop driving it.
  • 3 Owners before me
  • Register Non-Op

So I will link a gallery of pictures below that I was able to get him to send me. The truck while dirty seems overall in good condition. No rust that I can see, full interior and no major body damage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VwMtnkiJbfvypQcQ9

What do you guys think? I plan on restoring the whole thing, which is why I am excited to have found one that has what seems to be good solid bones with out much missing, especially the interior! Only thing I can see that looks missing is some cover on the top inside of the back door? What goes there?

Paul22RE 08-23-2018 06:50 PM

Cover for the wiper motor. Looks like everything is in good shape and no rot

RAD4Runner 08-23-2018 06:51 PM

Sorry, sad to say, all that with a 3.0? I'd pass.

mbomberz1 08-23-2018 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Paul22RE (Post 52406373)
Cover for the wiper motor. Looks like everything is in good shape and no rot

Ahh of course.. I think i see the cover laying in the back in one of the shots. Didnt even think about it, dont have any of that in the pickup :) Thanks buddy.

mbomberz1 08-23-2018 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner (Post 52406374)
Sorry, sad to say, all that with a 3.0? I'd pass.

For the right price though? I feel like im getting it for a good fair price. Plus, it will end up with a 3.4 in there, perfect candidate.

old87yota 08-23-2018 07:36 PM

:coffee:

I have gotten past the whole "3VZ-E engine is terrible and scary" thing and would not worry getting a Toyota with the 3VZ-E, which sounds like you are swapping out anyway.

The wiring looks concerning with non-factory relay and wires running against the firewall, but it looks like you have done engine swaps before and can figure it out.

Also, it sounds like you are planning more of a "resto-mod" than a straight up restoration with the engine swap.

For the right price, I think it will be fine to purchase, just as long as you know that you are more than likely going to uncover a "can 'o worms" as they say when you start digging into different systems. That is the nature of old vehicles.

What does " Register Non-Op " mean? :think:

:safari:

mbomberz1 08-23-2018 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota (Post 52406384)
:coffee:

I have gotten past the whole "3VZ-E engine is terrible and scary" thing and would not worry getting a Toyota with the 3VZ-E, which sounds like you are swapping out anyway.

The wiring looks concerning with non-factory relay and wires running against the firewall, but it looks like you have done engine swaps before and can figure it out.

Also, it sounds like you are planning more of a "resto-mod" than a straight up restoration with the engine swap.

For the right price, I think it will be fine to purchase, just as long as you know that you are more than likely going to uncover a "can 'o worms" as they say when you start digging into different systems. That is the nature of old vehicles.

What does " Register Non-Op " mean? :think:

:safari:

Ya know, I cant tell if it is because I have never had a 22re, but the 3.0 never did me wrong. I understand it gets meh fuel mileage though and people have had bad luck with head gaskets. The upside for me is I already know the engine and wiring in this truck, the swap will be relatively easy, have the Toyota wiring books and its already got the right trans.

The Non-Op might just be a california thing? You can register your vehicle as Non-Operational and pay a relatively low registration fee, but you can not drive it. Never bought one before with it registered like that, was unsure if I should expect anything odd.

wyoming9 08-24-2018 02:25 AM

So How much did they give you to haul it away ??

The only good side to this I hope the dry Climate where it lived!!

Best of luck on your 3.4 swap

JJ'89 08-24-2018 06:15 AM

Check out the smog requirements, before you hand over your cash. Seller is responsible for up-to-date smog. If it won't pass smog, you got a major hassle. But, you live in CA, so you might know that already.

mbomberz1 08-24-2018 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52406397)
So How much did they give you to haul it away ??

The only good side to this I hope the dry Climate where it lived!!

Best of luck on your 3.4 swap

Am i missing something here? I thought this was a pretty good find after searching for quite a while. What are you guys seeing that I am not? (Ignoring the 3.0)

Originally Posted by JJ'89 (Post 52406401)
Check out the smog requirements, before you hand over your cash. Seller is responsible for up-to-date smog. If it won't pass smog, you got a major hassle. But, you live in CA, so you might know that already.

I believe since it is registered as non-operational, that there is no smog requirement. It looks like the cat has been cut out and straight piped, or more than likely stolen so I dont have high hopes for it to pass :P

wyoming9 08-24-2018 09:08 AM

I have 2 87 4Runners about to go for scrap .

I tried to give them away no interest .

After all only 30 years old

mbomberz1 08-24-2018 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52406422)

Are they still in solid shape? That is a bummer to hear. If you have got an atimiter/inclinometer for sale i might be interested :)

JJ'89 08-24-2018 01:20 PM

Its non-ops status. Of course annual smog not required. Its not registered. If you want to register it, it will have to pass smog. Check it out online or go see your friendly DMV and ask 'em

dropzone 08-24-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by JJ'89 (Post 52406446)
Its non-ops status. Of course annual smog not required. Its not registered. If you want to register it, it will have to pass smog. Check it out online or go see your friendly DMV and ask 'em

it's getting a 3.4, he will need to do a referee anyway

dropzone 08-24-2018 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52406422)

Pennsylvania though...i left the Buffalo area in 2000..even back then there weren't a lot of 80's toyotas..they had all rusted away because of the idiotic road salt

wyoming9 08-25-2018 01:11 AM

they have been inside I now need the room.

Not being as active from Hips and Knees is not helping

scope103 08-25-2018 07:36 AM

I have to say this is all a mystery to me. You can't start it. You know the wiring is all FUBAR'd. If you could start it, you can't drive it (not registered). You can't register it (no smog cert.) Personally, I love the 3VZE, but you say you really want a 3.4 5FZ-VE anyway. So, why don't you just buy a running 20-year old Tacoma instead of a 30-year old pig-in-a-poke? You know, one you can drive around the block. Or drive home.

In my area (which is, admittedly, pretty expensive), that vintage Tacoma is offered for about $5000-$8500. Running.

For this non-running 4runner you'll have to trailer it home, acquire a replacement engine, and spend a completely unpredictable amount of time figuring out the wiring. And whatever else is wrong with it. If you're successful, you'll get to arm-wrestle with the DMV to get it registered as a Franken-Truck. After all that, you'll have ...?

But, you point out, you're hoping to get it for a "good price." What would be a good price on an expensive long shot of eventually ending up with the equivalent of a $5,000 vehicle?

I don't think I have the personality for that. But you may. I say "enjoy."

mbomberz1 08-25-2018 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by scope103 (Post 52406500)
I have to say this is all a mystery to me. You can't start it. You know the wiring is all FUBAR'd. If you could start it, you can't drive it (not registered). You can't register it (no smog cert.) Personally, I love the 3VZE, but you say you really want a 3.4 5FZ-VE anyway. So, why don't you just buy a running 20-year old Tacoma instead of a 30-year old pig-in-a-poke? You know, one you can drive around the block. Or drive home.

In my area (which is, admittedly, pretty expensive), that vintage Tacoma is offered for about $5000-$8500. Running.

For this non-running 4runner you'll have to trailer it home, acquire a replacement engine, and spend a completely unpredictable amount of time figuring out the wiring. And whatever else is wrong with it. If you're successful, you'll get to arm-wrestle with the DMV to get it registered as a Franken-Truck. After all that, you'll have ...?

But, you point out, you're hoping to get it for a "good price." What would be a good price on an expensive long shot of eventually ending up with the equivalent of a $5,000 vehicle?

I don't think I have the personality for that. But you may. I say "enjoy."

Heya scope, I appreciate the honesty. I think you and I are just looking at this truck from two different perspectives and I completely understand why the list of negatives would be a show stopper. I was really just hoping to get some advice on anything 4runner specific to check for, as I am really familiar with the the pickup side. Especially the 88, since this 4Runner is the same year as my truck. Luckily I was able to get all of the Toyota factory wiring diagrams for this year of truck and 4runner, and have a good head start on most of this after swapping the 3.4 into my pickup.

If I wanted a Tacoma I would buy one but I want a 1st gen 4Runner. I love these old trucks and wanted to get one to restore and bring up to the same quality as my pickup. I will enjoy the process of repairing it as much as driving it which is where the major difference is in our views of this truck stem from i think. I am not just looking to buy one, I want to build one and this to me is a great starting place!

Picked up the 4Runner today. Was in as good of shape as I was hoping. Now the fun begins!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/E3...-CSBeICR=w1200

mholme 08-25-2018 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by mbomberz1 (Post 52406602)
Heya scope, I appreciate the honesty. I think you and I are just looking at this truck from two different perspectives and I completely understand why the list of negatives would be a show stopper. I was really just hoping to get some advice on anything 4runner specific to check for, as I am really familiar with the the pickup side. Especially the 88, since this 4Runner is the same year as my truck. Luckily I was able to get all of the Toyota factory wiring diagrams for this year of truck and 4runner, and have a good head start on most of this after swapping the 3.4 into my pickup.

If I wanted a Tacoma I would buy one but I want a 1st gen 4Runner. I love these old trucks and wanted to get one to restore and bring up to the same quality as my pickup. I will enjoy the process of repairing it as much as driving it which is where the major difference is in our views of this truck stem from i think. I am not just looking to buy one, I want to build one and this to me is a great starting place!

Picked up the 4Runner today. Was in as good of shape as I was hoping. Now the fun begins!

Well done, sir. I read your other thread about your 88 pickup. You know what you’re doing. I did something similar when I picked up my non running 88 4Runner. It was a mess inside the engine bay and
blown head gaskets and suspect wiring. The tow cost 8 dollars more than the truck! But it’s been a labor of love and a fun process making it road worthy and a great retro experience. Best of luck to you.

dropzone 08-26-2018 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by mbomberz1 (Post 52406602)

glad you are happy with what you ended up with..for some reason the picture isn't showing up for me.

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52406477)
they have been inside I now need the room.

Not being as active from Hips and Knees is not helping

gotcha..I can related, have a ton of jumps and rappelling out of helicopters my knees have been feeling it for years, hips starting out the last few months