Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

About to buy a 1990 4Runner, 5spd, 22re... What should I check?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy a 1990 4Runner, 5spd, 22re... What should I check?

sup guys...

I just found a pretty good deal on a 1990 t4r, 80k miles, 22re, 5spd. Aside from the typical stuff like checking A/C, heat, turn signals, headlights, parking break, breaks, etc, what else should I check? Anything specific to this year that I need to be careful about?

THanks!
Old 07-02-2006, 12:03 PM

i'm not selling it, i'm about to buy it.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
he knows this he's just wondering. makes sure it idles okay, no major body damage, frame rust, all the guages in the vehicle work properly, and some other stuff that the veterans can fill in for me.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I wanna go steal it out from under him.

haha u wouldnt
Old 07-02-2006, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the tires as well. There is nothing worse then bald-ass-tires. Make sure all the windows go down (no matter if they are crank or electric) and that they go up too. Make sure the hatch closes correctly, make sure the hood latches on both sides, and un-latches easily too.

You don't want a rusty frame, so check that as well. Take it for a test drive, and make sure you don't smell exhaust. Check for all kinds of leaks. After you check ALL of that, I think you are ready to buy it or not buy it, depending on everything.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:39 PM

thanks for the replies... i intend on doing a compression check as well as a leak down test before i buy it. hopefully i'll have it out long enough to get a good impression of the MPG as well.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:42 PM

check the hood, door gap alignment thats a good way fo find previous accidents too, i would look under carpet if he will let you, under some trim, and under anything really, check the frame for cracks too. i would look at the bushings and rock it to see if it makes any odd noises. i just got the Toyota bible in the mail today and that is one awesome book. if you get the chance to look at it it has a ton of info on what to look for. Its too much but if you want i can post some main ÅÅÅÅ up for you.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
i just got the Toyota bible in the mail today and that is one awesome book.
Where did you get it and who wrote it?
Old 07-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by reggie 00
Where did you get it and who wrote it?
YES, PLEASE! 'Yota officienados across the world are awaiting your reply!
Old 07-02-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i own a 90, some problem areas to check 4 are the very rear of the frame for rust, rear window tracks(try putting the window up and down) bottom of the doors for rust, fenders 4 rust and check the brackets on the rear suspention (mine were cracked and needed welding)
Old 07-03-2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
check the hood, door gap alignment thats a good way fo find previous accidents too, i would look under carpet if he will let you, under some trim, and under anything really, check the frame for cracks too. i would look at the bushings and rock it to see if it makes any odd noises. i just got the Toyota bible in the mail today and that is one awesome book. if you get the chance to look at it it has a ton of info on what to look for. Its too much but if you want i can post some main ÅÅÅÅ up for you.
If its not too much trouble, I'd appreciate it!
Old 07-03-2006, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
timing chain is the big issue on the 22re's. If he'll let you pop the valve cover off and take a look at the chain and guides.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:35 PM

I got THE BOOK off of amazon.com, THIS IS QUOTED FROM TOYOTA TRUCK & LAND CRUISER OWNER'S BIBLE(TM) BY MOSES LUDEL...

Check the Lower Control arms for stretching, caused by harsh off roading, Downey among other manufacuters sell a truss to prevent this.

Check for any twists or any obvious signs of abuse or damage. Check for bent springs, hangers and frame crossmembers. Torn cables or hoses.

Jack up the truck check balljoints, steering knuckle or knuckle/kingpin bearings or balljoints. Grab ea. front wheel at six and 12 o'clock and rock the wheel in and out, play shows inboard of the wheels at the ball-joints or kingpin bearings.

Check the clutch by moving the tranny shifter to high gear at 20mph. With the clutch pedal depressed bring the engine speed to 2000rpm and hold the throttle steady, then quickly let the clutch pedal go. listen carefully, If the engine speed drops immediately to a near idle the clutch cover(pressure plate) assembly and the disc are likely ok. A gradual decrease in speed usually indicates that the clutch either slips or needs adjustment. Alsom make sure the clutch does not shudder during engagement.

ENGINE

1. Normal and even compression
2. Accurate valve timing
3. correct valve lift at ea. valve
4. normal bearing clearances and oil pressure.
If you can get the owner to get the engine oscilloscope analyzed or scoped while on a dynamometer.
IF you find signs of overheat look further, excess rust or chronic boil over can indicate aeration caused by cylinder gases leaking into the cooling system from a cracked block or head, blown head gasket or defective water pump.

If you have a oil pressure gauge check the oil pressure under load. check for consistancy to make sure heavy additives do not disguise the true oil pressure.
Listen for knocks at cold start-up, warm the engine completely watching the oil pressure. drive the truck under load, up hills and such and constantly monitor the oil pressure.

DON'T accept suggestions like the air conditioner needs a recharge, have the seller have the system charged before you agree to buy it.

Belts, hoses, wiring, the battery, filters and routinely serviced items speak for the truck's maintenance. Look thoroughtly under the hood, and assess the kind of replacement parts that the owner has used, cheap parts mean a neglected truck. Other signs of trouble are a broken speedometer cable and vague record of mileage.

Missing pedal pads, bald tires and poor paint show signs of neglect. you want a well taken care of car.

I truely dont believe in the last one, because my dad only worked on the drivetrain and suspension, his pedal pads were worn and missing, and the paint was trashed, it was a work truck too though. GOOD LUCK.

Last edited by Sonofmayhem; 07-03-2006 at 03:36 PM.