Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

99 4runner Rear Wheel Bearing Job

Old 05-02-2008, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 4runner Rear Wheel Bearing Job

Hello All,

I'm preparing to change both rear wheel bearings on my 99 limited 4x4 (180k) and I'm trying to get a parts list together. I did some searches on this board and found some good info on doing the job but nothing definitive on everything that should be changed. So far I've got the following info from the dealer:

(2) Wheel Bearings
(2) Inner (oil) Seals
(2) Outer Seals (dust covers)
(4) Retainers (2 per side?)
(2) ABS Reluctor Disks (what the heck are these and how do I know if I have rear ABS?)

Questions:

-Are the retainers the same as snap rings? Do I really need 2 per side?

-What is an ABS Reluctor and do I really need to change them?

-How do I tell if I have rear ABS? (I have drums on rear if that matters)

-What else do I need to replace/inspect?

-Is there a kit that has everything I need? I checked Marlin and couldn't find one that covered the '99.

-Should I go ahead and do the front bearings with that kind of mileage? If so how does a front bearing job compare to a rear bearing job as far as difficulty?

Also going to do rear brake job as both seals are leaking.

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to avoid repeated greasy trips to the parts store.

Ty

--Prologue--

This should have been first...oops.

A while back the rear ujoint went bad and was squealing. Changed it myself with an aftermarket ujoint and since I was already dirty I did the Tundra Brake Mod found on this board which cured all rotor problems. The significance of this is that I made at least two mistakes at the same time. First, after reinstalling the driveshaft I noticed that the positioning of the zert on the rear Ujoint was such that you could not get a grease gun on it. Crap...note to self, change grease fitting or Ujoint again in the future. The other mistake was I did the rear brakes while I was doing the tundra brake mod and I mis-adjusted the shoes. During the test drive I could tell the rears were dragging and when I got back to the garage I could see cherry red in both slots on the back of the drums. Crap. Adjusted properly, everything fine. Long story long, after these two repairs I noticed the truck makes a wum-wum-wum-wum noise between 35 and 65 that can be felt in my feet, at least that’s when it's most noticeable. No shaking or anything though. First thought was that I got the drive shaft out of balance by maybe not getting the ujoint mashed in evenly in the yoke. Made a note to change it in future. Months later I noticed both rear seals leaking. Thought maybe getting the rear brakes so hot damaged my seals. Then thought maybe the bearings are making the wum-wum-wum noise.

Last week I took the driveshaft back off, took it to a drive train shop and had them install a new rear ujoint with appropriate zert. They didn't have time to balance it though. Truck still goes wum-wum-wum on highway. Now I'm doing rear bearings thus the excessively long post above. If it still goes wum-wum-wum then I will re-re-remove the driveshaft and have it balanced. Then maybe front bearings? After that I will be out of ideas.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM

rear bearing change out

you need all the parts on your parts list .
easy to do as long as you have a mechanical aptitude...
did mine on 2000 4runner LTD two and half years ago
Old 12-08-2009, 03:20 PM

rear bearing change out

when you change your brakes have your drums machined.
there's only four nuts holding it in place, it needs a little muscle to pop it off.
go to a machine shop to have your bearing pressed off and the reluctor, and have the new one pressed in..
when installing be careful not yo damage the cup seal, and lubricate the seal a little, clean where it seals on the axle
carefully put the o ring gasket.
carefully install the axle rock it back and forth untill you feel the gear are meshing get a rubber mallet or a dead blow hammer to pound it in place, it shouldn't take that much to have it in place...
tighten the nuts install brakes and machined drums and wheels and then have a cold beer
deio
Old 12-08-2009, 03:25 PM

rear bearing change out

I used toyota parts and It cost me about 1000 dollars canadian machine shop labour included..and brakes
jobber parts might not fit properly..
if you have any question feel free to pm me I'll do the besst that I can to help you out.....

delio