YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   95 V6 Engine acts up on freeway. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/95-v6-engine-acts-up-freeway-214117/)

YoYoYota 06-15-2010 09:50 AM

95 V6 Engine acts up on freeway.

I tried searching but didn't find anything relevant.

It mostly happens on the freeway when just cruising at speed. I am just driving normal and all of a sudden there is one jerky feeling and I look at the tach and it goes down fast and the engine light comes on. Before I can even react the engine kicks back in and light goes off and runs normal. It happens maybe every 70-100 miles.

Anyone have any ideas?

YoYoYota 06-15-2010 06:24 PM

Went on errands and it randomly died at a light. Dies instantly. But starts up perfectly fine.

alil2cul4u 06-15-2010 10:25 PM

Hey, I've been having the same problem I have a 90 with 3vze.. I have a thread started for it.. there are quite a few people with the same problem. None of us have been able to come to a conclusion as to what it could be! https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...stalls-201945/ If you find what is causing your problem please post on my thread for the rest of us...

Thanks =],
Julian

YoYoYota 06-27-2010 11:10 AM

So I dont know if this helps or anything but It has not happened to me in the last 600 miles. The only thing I did was replace the air intake silencer with my own intake system and when I did that I cleaned the throttle body. SO maybe it has something to do with the intake.

YoYoYota 06-27-2010 05:35 PM

The check engine light comes on for such a brief amount of time that I dont think it will show up. I dont have a reader anyways to check. I dont think I bumped anything but maybe. Anyways it seems to be fine now.

regnar11b 06-28-2010 09:40 AM

Sounds like an electrical short that a wire has a crack or such a tiny hole its not noticeable but when heated up just right might be sitting next to something metal that shorts it out for a split second and kills power. This sounds weird but I worked as a computer tech for a while in the past and I have seen several power supply insulated cables get a slight crack and when the system internally would heat up it would short out the PC and reboot itself, I only stumbled across that when I was randomly shocked from a power unit like that (lol). I'm with the guy that said check your coil, it has to be something in the engine compartment. Is there any oil, or fluid on your starter? I wonder if that could be an issue having a short there...

85gijunk4x4 06-28-2010 09:55 AM

my dad had/has a problem very similar to this on his 95 ranger...turned out to be his cruise control servo.

you should try cruising with your cruise on and off and see if theres a difference, well try it if you have cruise...if you dont have cruise dont try it

54runner54 07-08-2010 09:47 PM

I'm working on the same problem check my post 3.0 jerk problem

alil2cul4u 07-08-2010 09:58 PM

I think your right I think cleaning the TB might have something to do with it, I cleaned as much as I can and now it only happens like every 70 or 90 miles! If I knew how I'd remove the TB and clean it completely!

95ToyotaPU007 07-11-2010 10:29 AM

Although not a Toyota, my '85 Ford truck used to do the exact same thing. Turned out it was the ignition module going bad.

YoYoYota 07-12-2010 04:03 PM

Since I have done the Intake stuff it has been over 2k miles and nothing has happened. No stalling or anything. Maybe since there are fewer places for the heat to accumulate the wires are going through less stress or I hit something and put it in a better place. Who knows, but whatever happened it seems to like it. If it happens anymore I will update this and try something. If it aint broken (anymore) dont fix it. Right?

YoYoYota 07-31-2010 11:18 PM

With a 70 mile commute 5 days a week I have still yet to have the engine stall or lose power since the intake install. Put almost 3k miles on since the last update. Just thought I would update a little bit.

vital22re 07-31-2010 11:39 PM

were the old hoses cracked? or broken?

YoYoYota 08-01-2010 08:02 AM

There was a crack on the old throttle body end of the intake hose. It was pretty minor though.