Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'95 T4R issue with low power, sounds like out of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 T4R issue with low power, sounds like out of fuel

I have a '95 4runner, automatic transmission 3.0 Liter V6. It sounds constantly like it's running out of gas. When I press the gas, it shakes like it's about to shut off. Very slow acceleration, slower than normal. It takes everything to get to 50 MPH, and doesn't go much past that.
Someone suggested it could be the ignition coils, but I can't locate them on the engine. Yes, I'm a newbie to working on engines, but I'm trying to do this myself. I've already changed the spark plugs and spark plug wires and it's made no difference. Can someone help me locate where the coils are on this engine?

passenger side of the engine
Old 11-19-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Find the distributor, follow the lead wire to the coil.

http://web.archive.org/web/201212070.../7descript.pdf

And what are thinking of doing once you find the coil? Are you just going to buy a new one because "someone suggested it could be the coil"? You'll go broke long before you fix the engine with that method of diagnosis.

First, do you have any codes (is your CEL on)?

If you don't have a timing light, start there (about $25-$30). Set the ignition timing. You can put the inductive pickup on each plug wire to see if a plug isn't firing. If all are firing, it's unlikely to be the coil.