86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 pickup without running lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 pickup without running lights

I throw some new plugs in my truck and check my timing and i loose my running lights...go figure. Truck has had the wiring hacked by previous owner, so that may have something to do with not being able to find the problem. I still have headlights, turn signals, reverse lights, interior lights, power to the clock, cigarette lighter, just no running lights or lights behind the gauges(Same circuit?). It keeps blowing fuses as soon as i flip the lights on. I thought the problem may have been in the radio wiring, but i removed that as the green wire had been extremely overloaded and fried. I disconnected all wiring for the radio behind the dash and the fuses keep blowing. Any ideas? I looked on here and found something about the tail light relay. Could this be the problem? I doubt the trailer wiring would be the problem but wouldn't all the lights in the rear go out if this was shorting out? Thanks
Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Parking lamps are on the "Tail" fuse/circuit. There is really a lot of stuff on that fuse.

A/C switch, Backup lamps, Rear plate lamps, Cig-lighter lamp, Clock "lamp", Combi meter(Dash back lights), De-fog lamp, ECT switch lamp, Parking lamps LH/RH, Glovebox lamp and switch, hazard switch lamp, heater control lamp, Integration relay, Light reminder relay, O/D switch lamp, Radio lamps, dimmer control, Rear combination lamps LH/RH, Rear pwr window lock switch, rear pwr window switch.

This is for the 4runner, but you have most of that except the rear window stuff.

Look around for funky wiring at the clock and cig-lighter lamp wires maybe, since you had a botched radio install, and obviously the radio stuff again. Then test the rheostat(dimmer switch) per the FSM.

Actually let me save you some time since I have this stuff in front of me from looking up that list.. That green wire is the lamp circuit, it could have melted just about anywhere. Sorry mate you've got an uphill battle there happy tracing.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:42 PM

ok so now i fixed the running light problem found to be 2 fused wires behind the dash. Now i don't have any power to radio, but i do have power to my cigarette lighter, clock, etc. Fog lights are also run off of ACC power but they also do not work. I check all fuses and they all are good. before i tried plugging in the radio, fog lights were working and now they are not. Any ideas? I'm having so much trouble because its an aftermarket radio with a universal wiring harness on top of hacked wiring job. Next truck i buy im going to be sure to check the wiring...
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM

fixed the radio power but still no fog lights
Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 PM

What were the colors of the melted wires?

I don't see ACC there is CIG and Radio

Cig fuse. Shift lock ECU, Integration relay, Lighter socket, and clock.

Radio fuse. Power ant control relay, Light reminder relay, Radio and player, Power mirror LH/RH/SW.

Grey wire from Radio fuse goes to power mirrors, and radio.
Grey-Red from Cig fuse

No idea why but rear speakers in a 4runner are hooked into the dome lights. They have 5 connections really? Pink-Yellow to Ant relay, Brown to ground (left side kick panel), Blue-Yellow to dome fuse, and the two for sound to the radio.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 AM

i believe it was a red and solid green wire that got fried. Im still trying to figure out the radio. My front passenger side speakers work, and now nothing else. The drivers side was temperamental but the rear speakers always worked. The repair manual i have doesnt show any wiring diagrams for the speakers. Any idea which wires i should be looking for?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 AM

Againthese are from the 4runner wireing book available on the net.

Front LH, Pink and Violet.
Front RH, Light green and Blue.
Rear LH, Yellow and Black(White and Black at the tweeter, if its 6 speaker).
Rear RH, Red and White (Tweeter Red and White with blue).

There are Green with red wires at the..
PAIR VSV to ECU.
Glovebox lamp to switch.
(Light-green with red) Integration relay to door switch to door control relay
ECM To Vehicle speed sensor(VSS), on a 3vze(v6 motor)
Shiftlock ECM to switch
Door control relay to RH Lock and switch
(Light-green with red) to RH pwr mirror
Stop fuse to stop switch(brake pedal) to Cruise control ECU
Horn switch to horn relay
4wd lamp to ADD switch (22re, 4 cylinder)
2wd lamp to ABS ECU(All motors)
ABS ECU to ABS actuator
(Light-green w/ Red) Cruise control ECU to CC actuator

There is a bunch of Red w/ green, in the ABS, headlamps, and door locks/windows.

Probably not a bad idea to get your eyes on the wiring, eg pull the door trim and maybe console or seats and carpet to get at the rear wiring and make sure it's a solid run from the stereo to speakers.

My speakers aren't consistent but my volume knob is junk or needing cleaned, so don't overlook that knob if you have one.

Not sure this is the guide I was looking for but it's close enough probably, Link to stereo wiring debug with meter
Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 PM

fixed the speakers...ended up being a couple bad wires in the harness. The fog light switch needs to be rewired as the 12v in is only getting about 1.5 volts. Thanks again for your help. The rest should be easy enough
Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 PM

Found out why the rear speakers in the 4runner has so many wires. It's a self contained amplifier, should of guessed but nope just stumped me.

And yeah not related to anything but my pondering above..