Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 4runner V6 problems, I need to get to work, please help. (pretty long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4runner V6 problems, I need to get to work, please help. (pretty long)

Ok, looooooong story short, I drove it though some deep water and it ended up blowing the headgaskets and bending two rods, and melting a few pistons, it took taking the head off and putting them back on twice to realice the bottom end needed to be rebuilt. After the first time it would start, and it ended up being the mass air sensor being a little messes up (i opened up the black half-moon siliconed around and fidgeted a little in there and it fired up).

So now I have a new bottom end newly adjusted valves etc.... all the new stuff you should replace when rebuilding an engine. I got it all together and but back in the truck. Hooked everything up. And not it wont start again. It kicks a little here and there but wont stay running. The timing is dead on where it needs to be. Before we adjusted the timing it wouls start and run for maybe 6 or 7 seconds and then die. Now that the timing is on 8* it wont start. there is fuel pressure at the rail ( loosened the bolt and fuel squirted out), there is spark, and because its a rebuilt engine I am assuming it has compression. My father and I are thinking maybe because it sat for so long wihtout the engine in that some moisture got in the fuel lines and froze. So it not getting enought fuel. As it is, if we squirt some fuel into the throttle body, it will kick over a lot more than without. This is what leaves us to believe it is a fuel problem. there is also a little bit of a thud around the mass air sensor after a few seconds of turning it over, sounds to me like the flapper thing inside the senser slamming open and shut.

I pulled the top of the intake manifold off and made sure all the fuel lines were how they were suppose to be, and I pulled all the plugs and re-gapped them, cleaned them, made sure there was aprk at all of them, and put it all back together. I tried to start it again and it fired up and runs..... sorta.

Now the probelm is that, when it does idle, it idles at around 400-500 and shakes pretty bad. The distributor is in the right spot, the timing light show the marks bouncing between 5 and 8 advanced. When I give it gas it revs up slowly and as soon as it hits 1k it makes a noise that sounds like the flapper thing inside the vaf. It also makes the same noise here and there while its idling, and then when it dies, it makes the noise quite a bity louder. I cannot be certain about the location of the noise while its running, but when it dies, it is definetly the flapper inside the vaf slamming shut.

After tinkering and staring a little, I noticed the EGR valve was connected right, so i connected it and that seemed to help although I don't know why. I revved it up to about 3k and a loud squeal developed and it died, and now it will not start again. It doesn't sound like on of th ebelt are loose, rather it sounds like maybe the timing belt is being forced to run agains the water pump or something. It a violent squeak. Also, I can turn the motor over by hand, but it is more difficult than it should be.

So I tore the front off down to the timing belt and took it off and checked everything out, including the water pump. Everything looks fine so i put it all back together and once again it fired up and would idle around 600. As soon as I gave it some gas to rev it up to about 3k again, the squeak came back and it died. Now it wont start again and its hard to tuen manually.

I hate to say this because I feel like an idiot, but I dropped one of the little nuts that hold the upper water pipe on down into the intake manifold (where the water goes, not air). I am thinking maybe this is jamming the water pump from turning and cause the loud squeal. That is why I tore it down the last time, but I could not find the nut digging around with my finger. I was thinking the nut is pretty small and that the water pump wouldn't like it, but still pump it through the system.

PLEASE HELP ME. This is my GF's, and I broke it. It has now been 3 months and nothing but probelms and I have replaced everthing that can be replaced. Please give me input.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:23 PM

Get a new water pump to remove that part of the equation. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:48 PM

Well I can get a new water pump, but I already took the new one i have on there off and I couldn't find the nut. I can replace the pump, but if I don't find the nut then it will just keep happening. Any suggestions on getting it out? I was considering sticking a pressure washer nozzle down where I dropped it in and hoping it would come out down below. When I had the pump off before it looked fine and seemed to work fine.

Last edited by DSMstar; 02-26-2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:54 PM

you should try a long flexible magnet I got mine from mac tools but there are other places
http://www.bunting-magnetics.com/mai...ce/flexmag.cfm