YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   95 4Runner rear window. Age old question maybe. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/95-4runner-rear-window-age-old-question-maybe-306136/)

bmiller 11-06-2018 07:35 AM

95 4Runner rear window. Age old question maybe.

My first ever toyota of any type.
Window works as it should from inside at the console. Tailgate key only goes up. Key is a little wonky trying to go up but is does seem to go all the way.
Based on what research I have done it could have something to do with the wiper position sensor. But why does the inside switch work?
Any help is appreciated.
Also, I'll post up some photos of the new ride as soon as I get this done.

millball 11-06-2018 08:58 AM

Not the wiper interlock, or window would never work.
Likely an open wire between the tailgate key switch and the relay box in the drivers rear quarter panel. Or possibly a defect in the key switch itself.

bmiller 11-06-2018 10:11 AM

I accessed the tailgate switch and jumped across the terminals. Same thing, up not down. So now probably need to access the relays in the left rear quarter panel.
That will have to wait until Thursday, got a couple jobs backed up now.

millball 11-06-2018 10:20 AM

duplicate post removed.

millball 11-06-2018 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by bmiller (Post 52411614)
I accessed the tailgate switch and jumped across the terminals. Same thing, up not down. So now probably need to access the relays in the left rear quarter panel.<br />That will have to wait until Thursday, got a couple jobs backed up now.

What does 'jumped across the terminals mean???? The key switch works by grounding one pin on the relay module. One pin is grounded for up, and a different single pin grounded for down.I installed an inside cargo area switch for the back window that operates from these same two pins, but I don't have the schematic at hand to give the pin-out numbers. Looking at the wire colors at the switch and at the relay box plug might tell.

The tailgate key switch is the only rear window switch that ordinarily works even when the ignition is off

bmiller 11-06-2018 03:07 PM

I pulled the connection apart that connects to the tailgate switch. Then used a multimeter and found one hot and two not. So assumed one of the nots went to up and one to down. With the window part way down I used a jumper wire and jumped from the known hot to each of the others. The window went down on and nothing on the other.

RAD4Runner 11-06-2018 03:41 PM

Window works as it should from inside at the console.
Then... piece of cake. :)

Originally Posted by bmiller (Post 52411627)
...Then used a multimeter and found one hot and two not.

Good job testing and sharing results.

The "NOT hot" one is the one that goes to ground.
BOTH of the other two should be "hot" = meaning have voltage. That voltage is not exactly battery voltage but "leakage" voltage through the relay circuit.
Connecting either of the so-called "hot" wire (only one at a time, please) to ground or the "not hot" line should cause the window to roll one way or the other.

The supposedly "hot" line that does not have voltage most likely has a broken wire between it and the relay module. Inspect the flex cable between body and tailgate for broken wire. If no finding, the whole wire run between tailgate switch and the relay module.

bmiller 11-06-2018 03:55 PM

Thanks, i was looking at it backwards. Thinking one hot source sending voltage to the other poles in the connection. As opposed to two hots sending to ground. Tons of work in the way until friday, so back at it then.

dropzone 11-06-2018 05:00 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...ab23ca1f4d.jpg

i ended up replacing my tailgate key switch and having it rekeyed to match the ignition/front doors when i added a constant hot window switch in the back
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...440628b6c8.jpg

rgkharrison 03-21-2020 03:20 PM

@bmiller Did you ever get it working again? Mine is doing the same thing... console works both ways, key in tailgate raises window but won't drop it. I'll get back to messing with it tomorrow and try to follow the wires as some of the posts suggested.

bmiller 03-21-2020 03:30 PM

No I did not. Right after I got that 4runner a young gal I know was in desperate need of reliable transportation so I sold it to her for exactly what I paid. She loves it and thanks me for selling it to her everytime i see her.
It was just a toy for me anyway.

RAD4Runner 03-23-2020 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by rgkharrison (Post 52440668)
@bmiller Did you ever get it working again? Mine is doing the same thing... console works both ways, key in tailgate raises window but won't drop it. I'll get back to messing with it tomorrow and try to follow the wires as some of the posts suggested.

Most likely wiring issue. Inspect/clean wiring and switch, flex harness between body and tailgate, all the way to window control relay - probably in body panel behind (U.S.) driver's seat (That's where it is on first-gens)