Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 22re pickup horrible mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 22re pickup horrible mileage

Ok so I have a 95 pickup 22re reg cab. The problem I'm having is that when it gets any moisture in the air like rain snow fog ect it starts idling real bad, milage is cut in half from my 23 city, and has a real lack of all around power unless I hit wot on the tps when the computer runs off preset maps instead of off the sensors. Up untill recentlt it hasn't thrown a light but now its thrown a code 26 which is a consistant rich mixture. I've been fighting this problem for a real long time and I'm tired of it
Somebody said the afms on these trucks are notorious for getting water in them so I took the old one off and ohmed it out to find that the iat sensor was bad and something else but I forgot now. I put another afm on but it came off my turbo parts truck and I'm not sure if that might be xauseing some of the rich fuel problem.
Any way this truck has been through 3 caps and rotors so I don't believe its water in the distributor and last time I put some dielectric grease around the oring.
Where else should I look for this problem its confusing cause it will do it even if it jumps above a 70% humidity so its real touchy to ant moisture at all. Any help would be apreciated.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:35 PM

Oh and idk if this has anything to do with it but I have a rockford fosgate 600 watt amp, a 10in kenwood, and a 10in memphis shallow and if this is happening and I turn the music way up like near max it acts like the truck is running out of gas and trying to die, spit and sputter
Old 12-22-2013, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That turbo afm may be set to run at a richer mixture
Old 12-22-2013, 06:45 PM

Ok i guess tomorrow ill try to find the original afm for the truck the one that was bad was a raman and I kept the old one cause I wasn't for sure if it was bad or not but I got the reman one for free so I figured why not
Old 12-22-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Where you from. Might be able to find one of us with a stock one you can borrow for a test.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Have you upgraded the electrical system to handle the music gear??

That can be taking voltage from your ECU causing it to go into limp mode.

Once system voltage drops below a certain point it will just shut down.

Could very well be the cause of most of your problems!!!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Have you upgraded the electrical system to handle the music gear??

That can be taking voltage from your ECU causing it to go into limp mode.

Once system voltage drops below a certain point it will just shut down.

Could very well be the cause of most of your problems!!!
I haven't yet I need to though. If I remeber right its been doing it before I put the sub I. But its been in there for a while ill unhook the amp when its running bad to see if it changes anything. i know ive probably been doing a number on the charging system because the amp will take just about everything the alternator can rhrow at it. And that before taking into consoderation that just the efi takes up 30 amps by itself from what ive heard. Plus all the other extreior light take another 5ish amps plus whatever the radio and interior stuff takes. So just based on some kindergarten math here id say im well past the 60 amp max of my alt. I have a good afm in my storage I just have to rumage through and find it lol
Old 12-29-2013, 09:46 AM

Ok so I found the problem. It was the o2 sensor connection, it was getting water in it so I liquid taped all the contections and the back of the connector. Then wd40ed the inside of the connector and plugged it back in now it runs great even with the turbo afm