Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 'Yota SR5 pickup, Power Steering Pump & Clutch Line Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 'Yota SR5 pickup, Power Steering Pump & Clutch Line Leak

Hey guys,

Second post here. I just purchased a 1994 Toyota SR5 V6 3.0L pickup. It was a pretty nice buy, well kept from previous owners and runs like a champ. It has had appropriate *general* work done but some other issues were left unattended and were just 'capped off' as needed. It has just turned over to 225,000 miles in the past month before I bought it and when I got a closer look under it, there were clearly some leaks. I took it into a friend of a friends shop who specialized in Japanese vehicles and he let me know everything looks pretty sound. The only issues he saw were a leaking clutch line which, despite my theory of oil, he said is actually leaking a break-type fluid? Also, he let me know the power steering pump has been the largest culprit to the years of gushed fluid under the passenger side.

I'd love to replace these things on my own but my HOA prohibits work in my driveway and most other associates or friends have similar HOA restrictions, meaning either I find an abandoned lot and do it... Or I just pay to have it done. He is going to do the clutch line at $135, parts and labour included which didn't seem to high. However, for the PSP, he insisted that he will order a proper manufacture rebuild via toyota and we're looking at about $650 after all is said and done for the PSP & its applicable labour. I asked him to just use a rebuilt pump and he kept arguing that these are prone to failure and that he has never seen one work. Any ideas? Is he trying to stick it to me on the part end?

Last edited by twcolo; 07-02-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I used an Autozone (Duralast) rebuilt PS Pump, and it's lasted me about 8 years so far. That's just $60. (Use your VIN when you order the part, to make sure it has the idle-up valve on it). Had you put your location in your signature, who knows, some local YotaTech-er might have been willing to trade a case of beer to let you use his a garage for two hours.

Your mechanic is probably not trying to "stick it" to you. He has more experience than I do, and he probably doesn't want an unhappy customer. But if you can figure out how to do it yourself, you can put in a $60 rebuilt, and if it doesn't work after 6 months, you can just do it again with a different part.

Don't let your phone do your spelling; you don't have any "break" fluid. The clutch reservoir is filled with brake fluid. And here's a hint: so is the power steering pump. DON'T use "power steering fluid" in the system! (This isn't rocket science; it says that right on the filler cap!)
Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM

I spoke more in detail with the mechanic, who said he is not completely adverse to an after-market pump. He let me know that he will allow me to supply it but if it fails in the first go, he will charge me labor and then go with a genuine Toyota pump :\.

I guess my biggest concern is if anyone here has used an after market power steering pump and what the failure rate is to expect? My concern is the pickup does have 225,000 miles on it, so going deep on repairs could be quite the gamble.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 AM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 AM
RSR

Btw, scope missed the mark on fluids. Your clutch is brake fluid. But your power steering is tranny fluid! Brake fluid could be very bad...
Old 07-02-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by RSR
Btw, scope missed the mark on fluids. Your clutch is brake fluid. But your power steering is tranny fluid! Brake fluid could be very bad...
I see... With the known issues on the 3.Slow's and the millage, should I still opt for genuine Yota parts? The guy will install an AM part but insisted if it blows during or after install he *will* order and require me to pay for a 'yota part.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 PM
RSR

I'd lean towards a parts yard or reman myself (as I'm saving towards a 3.4 swap and only do reliability essentials), but then you know how long you plan to keep the truck and what you want/need it accomplish and last. And I'd think the reman PS pumps should be fine and come with a warranty.

And heck, you can always go to another mechanic if he's not willing to take your money to do what you're asking him to. Sounds like a curmudgeon, unless there's more to the story -- and I don't know what the labor time on this is, but if the labor for one project exceeds the cost of the part, I'd go ahead and buy new. So long as what you're asking isn't a safety hazard and you're paying him for his time, a mechanic should be willing do what you ask.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM
RSR

Also, you can refab your PS pump yourself if so inclined: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...11powerste.pdf

It's mostly just several o rings and oil seals, and I'm surprised that your mechanic himself didn't offer to accomplish. The PO of my rig had a local Yota mechanic replace some seals on my PS pump previously...
Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 PM

I asked him about rebuilding the current pump and he said he doesn't like to do this as he cannot guarantee the quality of the repair. I pressed him a little harder on using a reman and he said he would do it, but he would only attempt one and if it fails/doesn't work he is done with the truck. I may find another provider who will either rebuild or use a remanned. Similar to you, my goal is to drive the 3.Slow until it blows and then replace it with a 3.4l rebuild. For now, I want to give it proper love and care so that she runs well and gives me a fun offroad life while the 3.Slow is still there... When it blows, I'll cross that bridge. I plan to restore the minor body defects and paint it, replace the bumpers, and possibly add a winch.