YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   94 toyota pickup will crank but not start (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/94-toyota-pickup-will-crank-but-not-start-289634/)

rbravo1 06-28-2015 05:09 PM

94 toyota pickup will crank but not start

Hey guys need some help on my sons 94 yota. The other day my son called said he was broke down on the side of the road and said his truck would crank but wouldn't start. After getting his truck home I started by checking spark which he had. I noticed his fuel pump wasn't turning on so I went to jump it at the B+ to FP and nothing happen I got my meter and checked power at the B+ wire and had nothing. I ran direct power from the battery to the FP pin and I could hear the fuel pump turn on. I checked all fuses and all were good. I also noticed when I turn the key on the check engine light doesn't come on. I checked power going to the EFI relay and had power going to it if I remove the cover from the EFI relay and move the contacts in there I can hear something clicking and the engine light on the dash will come on and get 12v at the B+ pin but still cant hear my fuel pump turn on and once I release the contact in the EFI relay I lose power at the B+ and check engine light turns off. I assume that when I turn the key ignition on it should excite the EFI relay is there something I'm missing to check between the ignition and EFI relay? Not sure if it matters but its a 3.0L

wyoming9 06-28-2015 11:52 PM

Sounds to me like the coil is out of the EFI relay from what you describe.

you move the contacts manually things work.

Pin #2 will have 12VDC that is contact This comes from the EFI fuse.

When closed it pulls in the Circuit opening relay coil when the switch is closed on the Air Flow Meter.

Pin # 1 is the 12VDC coming from the 7.5 Ignition fuse. This will also have voltage with the ignition .

Good idea to check the fuses are tight in the sockets good fuse in a loose socket can really frustrate the best of us.

A bad ground can also cause the relay coil to not pull in.

The ground for the EFI relay coil is on the left fender.

It comes to just what pins had voltage

As you have figured out the fuel pump is not turning on.

rbravo1 06-29-2015 05:40 AM

Hey Wyoming9...thank you for the reply all the fuses are in there good and tight and my ground is good there on the left fender. I just don't understand is why when I move the EFI relay manually I cant hear the fuel pump kick in. another thing I found weird that I forgot to mention is the neg pin at the diagnostic port is reading 12v I find that strange. this whole system is driving me crazy haha. do you suggest I replace the EFI relay and go from there?

wyoming9 06-29-2015 08:27 AM

Just check it to see if it is working .

Quite easy to test the coil of the relay jumping it from the battery Pins #1 and 2

Just where are you reading the 12VDC where you should not be??

From the negative side of the battery to E1 ??

rbravo1 06-29-2015 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52278869)
Just check it to see if it is working .

Quite easy to test the coil of the relay jumping it from the battery Pins #1 and 2

Just where are you reading the 12VDC where you should not be??

From the negative side of the battery to E1 ??

I haven't tried yet...do I pull the relay out and jump pins 1 & 2? Doing this should give me power to the fuel pump?...if that works does this mean my EFI relay is bad?