86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'94 Parts truck-what will fit my '86 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 Parts truck-what will fit my '86 ?

So i have my '86 garged at my neighbors for the winter. I'm planning at least a head gasket, front end and oil pan. Probabbly pull it out and then do the rear main, tranny input shaft seal and maybe the clutch? Maybe i'll re-ring if it mic's ok but the odometer reads only 99K.

I have my 2wd truck to drive so the pressure is off for a while.

I found a local parts truck that the guy wants about 700$ for. Its got a 22re with blown HG, 4wd drivetrain. He says it runs. The body is rusted out. The thing is i was thunking of just the motor, the VAFM and maybe a couple other little things, but the guy says he wants to un-load the whole truck. I don't want to let it go in case i need the block or the head or something but i have nowhere to put a whole parts truck. He says he'll crush it otherwise...

Maybe i'm better off buying new, 'cause i don't know what condition the parts are in anyway. I was hoping to use an original OEM head. Mine is aftermarket from previous owner, I think.

Well, thats my spiel for now

Last edited by kirkerik; 11-20-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 AM

Is it worth it? I'm sure i'd get an ear full from my wife...
Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Never pass up a whole truck. Try and get him down to 500. Never hurts to try.

As far as the wife goes.....better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 AM

Id get it. Could probably part it out and at least make your money back. Try for 500$ and see what he says. It's still more then scrap pays. At least here. Its 150$ a ton or something.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 PM

Screwy me, i thought the 94 had a 22re in it but it has a v6.

But i did just find a 1990 4wd with a 22re with 149K on it and it runs good! And he wants 500$

The thing is, I would have to tow it a good 50 miles and then i could strip it of what i want but i don't have much storage space really for parts. Would having a second motor help considering i would like an OEM head? It seems like a lot of work when i can buy an OEM head from enginebldr ready to go.

Sorry, I just never have tried the parts truck thing before and i don't want to regret it.

Does the '90 have the AAV throttle ody or the IACV one? What other parts will work on my '86 from a '90?

Kirk

Last edited by kirkerik; 11-20-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Its def worth it. Go look at what a diff goes for on ebay. An ignitor. You could make a living parting Toyota trucks.

Id have a field of em if I had the room.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Feel like a road trip I will make you a sweet deal .

On a 86 4x4 22re 5 speed .

Needs a drivers door and a gauge cluster which I should have .

If your interested PM me and we will go from there.

I have made it from Sycrause in 4 hours but that was pushing it Homer easy in 4 hours .
Old 11-20-2013, 02:16 PM

does it make sense to use internal engine parts from both the parts truck and mine for the rebuild?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Feel like a road trip I will make you a sweet deal .

On a 86 4x4 22re 5 speed .

Needs a drivers door and a gauge cluster which I should have .

If your interested PM me and we will go from there.

I have made it from Sycrause in 4 hours but that was pushing it Homer easy in 4 hours .
Thanks for the offer. This local deal seems pretty good.

Does an ECM off a '90 work and plug in to an '86?
Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Ecu's are usually not the same due to different features on EPA and options that came with the truck. You could check over on pirate and look there. I saw a thread with compatible ecus over there once. I think.
Hope this helps
Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought an '89 4x4 in running condition but rusted right out. I took the locking hubs, oem air cleaner system, battery hold down, and sold it after that and doubled my $$, you will make your $$ just from the driveline.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The ECU have different test ports under the hood. The 86 has a round one the drivers side and the 90 will have a square one on the passenger side. Not sure how that would work out. Mostly just the drive train will interchange and there are some differences in the motor attachements (intake,VSV...) The parts truck still has alot of parts others will desire.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:58 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kirkerik
Maybe i'll re-ring if it mic's ok but the odometer reads only 99K.
why take it apart at all? is something wrong with it??

I personally would not rebuild any 22re head, when you can get 'em new for cheap.

you want the later model straight intake plenum and throttle body, it's far superior to the '86 stuff, so be sure and get that, including the throttle cable if possible.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:01 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kirkerik

Does an ECM off a '90 work and plug in to an '86?
no, all of the connectors are different... you'd have to cut and splice the harness ends, or swap over the entire harness... you can't even swap the vafm, unless you do it all.

it would probably be a good idea to grab at least the engine harness tho, Toyota makes really high quality wire, that can be used later for other stuff.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by osv
why take it apart at all? is something wrong with it??

I personally would not rebuild any 22re head, when you can get 'em new for cheap.

you want the later model straight intake plenum and throttle body, it's far superior to the '86 stuff, so be sure and get that, including the throttle cable if possible.
It needs a head gasket - Exhaust gasses getting in to the cooling system.

I would like to avoid a "cheap" head replacement and am hoping the parts truck head casting is in good shape. Im thinking that having another stock 22re would give me a choice of engine components that i could have properly machined in to one motor!

The motor is my main motivation. The other parts would just be gravy... What you all think about engine building parts?

I will be sure to grab the intake if i end up getting the truck.

Thanks everyone for all your input and recommendations!

Kirk
Old 11-21-2013, 08:11 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
By engine building parts are you asking what brands? Or are you asking about engnbldr in Portland? I personally use engnbldr for great quality and unbeatable customer service. Also a lot of parts ship free in the lower 48. As far as different engine building parts that entirely depends on what your looking for out of that motor. They come stock with"116" hp and you can get the up to about 130hp with out to much extreme work. But not much higher than that with out entering the check book race. Rebuilding a head is usually not a good $ choice since they can be had new with cam for $450 shipped in the lower 48. At that time if you want it ported you can have the shop do that as well. Keep in mind that the more performance work you do to ANY motor the less longevity and less fuel economy it will have. But my best advice on engine parts if you want anything but stock is call up builders and ask them what they would do. If they don't ask you what your looking for out of the motor first then maybe they are not the right one for you. Take notes get price quotes and then after you have their info look up online for what they want you to do and see what other people think of those results. For what it's worth the 22re is best left as is, maybe a ported head and cam. These are not race motors and never will be. They were designed to run for ever.
Good luck hope this helps

Last edited by thefishguy77; 11-21-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:12 PM

Thanks fishGuy
I definately am going to keep things stock for max MPG. No mods for me except maybe the extra oiling rocker arm guides at 22re Performance.

As far as engine parts from mine and the parts truck,i thought maybe i could use ya know, Rods, caps, crank, valves, rockers, cam, block and head provided its OEM and in good shape. I would get it all checked and spec'ed at the local machine shop. Is that a bad idea? That's what 22re Performance does provided its in good enuf shape to machine to new specs with alot of their parts.

The head is something they use new but yow, 500$ is alot of money. I thought maybe i could just have the parts truck head checked and flatened if neccessary

I would do new pistons IF i had to bore out to 0.20" over and of course all the stuff like valve springs/guides and timing cover front end stuff etc. etc.

I would do a good job - I'm meticulous but its kinda my first engine rebuild

Kirk
Old 11-21-2013, 06:15 PM

Your gonna do fine. 22r/re is as simple and easy as it gets. Only thing I can think of easier to rebuild it a wv beetle engine. You get that truck?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:15 PM

I'm more familiar with CAST IRON in the jeep engines. Im new to ALUMINUM heads
Old 11-21-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
Your gonna do fine. 22r/re is as simple and easy as it gets. Only thing I can think of easier to rebuild it a wv beetle engine. You get that truck?
Thanks Highlux

Yeah I get it just fine. It all makes sense... except financially im just wondering if the OEM parts from mine and the parts truck would be enough to put together provided i buy some new where neccessary like i mentioned above.

Im trying to avoid the cost of a new head, why not clean and machine one?

kirk

Last edited by kirkerik; 11-21-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: '94 Parts truck-what will fit my '86 ?