86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'94 4Runner 3.0 stumbling/dying. PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 4Runner 3.0 stumbling/dying. PLEASE HELP

Hello YotaTech members! I stumbled on to this site from a google search and have learned more about my truck than from all of the advice I've been given from mechanics and dealership associates in the past 4 years of ownership. Thanks guys for posting some great info and advice. I have owned a '94 4Runner with a 3vze, auto, 4x4 for 4 years now. I bought it with a blown head gasket (big surprise!) and have made several routine and not so routine repairs along the way. Overall it's been a great truck and I'm very happy with it's service, especially when I consider that I have spent around 5 grand total on it over the years and it's running well at 225,000 miles. Beats the hell out of spending the money on a new SUV in this economy!!

I hate to open my communication with you guys by asking a favor but we all have to start somehow I suppose. Here in Okla. we just had a cold front move in last night so when I went to start my trusty 4Runner this morning I allowed it to warm up for a few minutes before taking off to get my morning cup of coffee. When I hit the gas to enter into traffic the A/T temp light quickly flashes and then the check engine light quickly flashes and the engine either dies or tries to die and stumbles. When I returned to the house I sat and played with the truck trying to establish a pattern to it's behavior. It seems to do this when the throttle is tapped and released very abruptly. When the throttle is activated more slowly and smoothly it's not quite as prone to it's inappropriate behavior. It's also doing it with the engine completely warm. It's also given a few minor backfires as well, which it never has done before. I haven't ever replace the O2 sensor but will be soon, beginning to think it may be a good idea. Duh!
Any advice or experience that you fellas could impart would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. OUJD70, Jeff
Old 11-20-2011, 05:03 PM

More of a generic answer but check your electrical connection and wires, make sure everything is in good working order, you could have a loose connection which allowed some moisture in. Also make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks.

Now might be a good time to do a full tune up if its due. If your problem is magnified when you rev the engine quick and hard that just means your not getting good ignition. Reving it quickly is putting under more load than slowly and gradually advancing your throttle so your symptoms are naturally going to be more obvious.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:39 PM

Thank you Sciroccosven! Very good advice that I will follow this week. Been planning the tune up so while I'm in there I'll check my connections and spray out any that are in question. Also check my vacuum lines at that time. I appreciate your taking the time to reply and bring up some suggestions that I hadn't thought of.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
ALso, check for engine codes (details in the FAQ at the top of this thread section).