YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   94 22re Strange Engine Noise (video!) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/94-22re-strange-engine-noise-video-291219/)

Davebarbier 10-01-2015 04:10 AM

94 22re Strange Engine Noise (video!)

Hi everyone, I just signed up and made a post in the introduction section. link Nice to meet you all.

Truck runs great and shifts really smoothly but there is this noise that I'm kinda scared of. It's a fairly loud tickity tick clickity click that to me sounded like a heat shield loose. You can hear it outside the truck clearly. Almost like there's something loose and bouncing around in there. But it drove to my house in CT fine from PA (about 4 hours).
Here's a video I took. There's the normal noise but then as I rev it the weird noise comes in. I don't think it gets worse or better as it warms up but it might clear itself up at higher RPMs unless it's just harder to hear. Please help!

Also, since I just got this thing, what do you all recommend I do aside from an oil/filter change to get it all nice and good? Tranny flush? Transfer case flush? Skull sticker on the hood?

Thanks!

Davebarbier 10-02-2015 03:58 AM

Bump. I also noticed that it seems to be the most apparent while hovering at about 2k rpm. I'm going to remove the valve cover and check tappet clearances. Any other suggestions?

Obmi 10-02-2015 10:47 AM

While its open Look for a busted timing chain guide. Im replacing my chain and guides while I'm going a head gasket job. I heard ( Don't know personally) they make a slapping noise when a guide is busted.

Davebarbier 10-02-2015 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Obmi
While its open Look for a busted timing chain guide. Im replacing my chain and guides while I'm going a head gasket job. I heard ( Don't know personally) they make a slapping noise when a guide is busted.

Thanks Obmi, I'll do that for sure. And I'll probably do that anyway maybe in spring if it's not the issue. This noise really sounds like a way out of spec tappet...specifically on the exhaust side. I'm used to motorcycles so that's where I'm coming from.

I'll post the info when I can remove the valve cover. Expect pictures!

mct75 10-02-2015 03:29 PM

Wow, check that chain!

Davebarbier 10-02-2015 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by mct75
Wow, check that chain!

You think the noise is the chain? I will check it tomorrow but you saying that with an exclamation point makes me not want to drive home from work, haha.

mct75 10-02-2015 03:45 PM

Might not be, but if it is, you need to know lol

Davebarbier 10-02-2015 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by mct75
Might not be, but if it is, you need to know lol

Haha, thanks brother. I hope when I open it up tomorrow it's not one of those "my god I can't believe I made it home" kind of situation. Although I'd be glad to make it home of it was...

I just hope it's an easy fix that caused no damage. Wish me luck.

Davebarbier 10-02-2015 05:42 PM

After some YouTube watching I am pretty positive that the plastic guide on the driver's side is toast and the chain is hitting the case, or cover...whatever it's called. I'm kinda bummed but I'm glad it's not February as I'll be doing this outside.

Will post confirmation of my sadness tomorrow.

Obmi 10-02-2015 07:32 PM

Check to see if it gouged your case. Mine looks Like this. :(

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...9e1b149c3a.jpg
and the broken top part of the guide.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...4ab25581c9.jpg

Davebarbier 10-03-2015 03:14 AM

That sucks but it doesn't look like it wore through to the coolant passages, which is good. If it did that would require a new head, right? First thing I'm going to check is if there's oil in the coolant.

Obmi 10-03-2015 04:31 AM

My head was cracked as well so I have to replace it anyway. But my understanding is if the chain wares thorough you just need a timing cover. But that will make your oil look like chocolate milk.

Davebarbier 10-03-2015 10:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Nooo!!! Haha, this is a piece of the driver side chain guide. The rest is in the oil pan and not even near the chain. The chain has been eating up the head slightly and the timing cover pretty good. Here are a few more pictures of the wear that happened. My goal is to do it next week. Hoping to have a friend help me out who knows these trucks pretty well. It really looks like the guide can be replaced right from here! I'm sure it can't, but I'm open to suggestions, haha.

Here's a video I took.

Davebarbier 10-03-2015 12:41 PM

Should I also replace the oil and water pump while I'm there? I just can't seem to find a kit on eBay that has both pumps, timing cover and two steel guides. Does the passenger side have to be steel as well?

Obmi 10-03-2015 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Davebarbier (Post 52291615)
Should I also replace the oil and water pump while I'm there? I just can't seem to find a kit on eBay that has both pumps, timing cover and two steel guides. Does the passenger side have to be steel as well?

I would wait to buy any thing untell you have the cover off. I just go my crank Shaft bolt off to day. I have the same issue and more :( take a look in my tag line it has all my threads so far.

What ever you do spend some extra like 10 bucks or so and get the metal guides. So it will not happen again Im buying the whole kit New chain etc...
From what I understand it a pain in the butt but you can do it.

Davebarbier 10-03-2015 05:16 PM

Yeah I plan on getting this kit. Timing Chain Kit

Why do you say to wait to buy anything? I really don't have the time because I'll be getting rides to the train station for work. I plan on doing this in one go over a weekend. Not sure I'll have the luxury to do half and then wait for parts then finish it up.

Odin 10-03-2015 07:55 PM

That is very cheaply priced and doesn't make mention of any brand names.
I would prefer to use stuff from OSK and Aisin.
At least stuff from http://www.engnbldr.com/, cost will be higher for sure.

Obmi 10-04-2015 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Davebarbier (Post 52291653)
Yeah I plan on getting this kit. Timing Chain Kit

Why do you say to wait to buy anything? I really don't have the time because I'll be getting rides to the train station for work. I plan on doing this in one go over a weekend. Not sure I'll have the luxury to do half and then wait for parts then finish it up.

That kit looks good to me.
I was saying wait until you see whats going on, so you don't buy anything you don't need. But if you want to replace it all then that's a good kit ( I think).

Im going (Depending on Hurricane Joaquin) to have mine off today. While its apart I'm going to do it all, I just don't know if the chain has eaten through the timing cover yet. I'm going with this amazon kit Evergreen Heavy Duty Timing Chain Kit w/ Timing Cover, Oil Pump, GMB Water Pump My head and gaskets are all by evergreen. Mt thinking is that should all work together. It could all be junk as far as I know.

Davebarbier 10-04-2015 04:49 AM

I've used Evergreen with success. But after doing some more research, I will spring for the better kit. Probably use the guys at Engnbldr.

Hoping to get some work done on the truck today in anticipation of next weekend. But it actually looks more like it'll be done the following weekend because I'll have to wait for parts.

Thanks guys

KMcMahon 10-04-2015 10:14 AM

Hey, Im new to the 22re and was just wondering if you think this is the same sound as your video. Previous owner said the timing chain was replaced but you can't trust anyone lol