Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 Toyota Pickup 3VZE Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
93 Toyota Pickup 3VZE Pulley

Hi everyone!

Although my account is new I am a long time lurker. I have learned a lot from you guys and have solved most of my problems by just reading and searching through these forums. Unfortunately I am stuck with my current problem. To make a long story short my car has about 205k miles on it and one blissful early morning while I was driving back from a graveyard shift I noticed a terrible rumble followed by my power stearing belt snapping. Although I had recently changed the belt 25k miles ago I thought to myself that this would be no problem and had at it and changed the belt. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem, as when I tried to start the car again the terrible noise was still there and my brand new belt was getting chewed up. While the car was still running I noticed the crank pulley was not moving at all. I figured it was a total loss and started to look for rebuild options.

Just before I pulled the trigger to get the engine rebuilt I decided to get a mechanics eyes to look at it too, since this is there profession and I'm only a hobbiest at heart haha! The mechanic turned it on, and after putting it into drive and reverse to determine if the car can move came to me and said that it was the "balancing bushing seal" that needed to be replaced. Now in all my time searching and looking at parts for this truck I've never heard of such a part. My question to you guys is what exactly is this part? Does this part exist and where can I get it? If it doesn't exist, what do you think the real problem is? I've gone ahead and videotaped how the truck sounds when it starts up. If I wasn't an idiot I'd have video taped the pulley not moving, but you can take my word for it that it's not haha!

https://streamable.com/z5cy0

Excuse the noob link I shared, not exactly sure how to upload videos on this site yet!

Last edited by InsigZi; 04-18-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Where do you live in some regions we call things different names .But I never heard that one before.

If it was only the power steering belt and the rest of the belts were fine I think it would be the idler pulley bearing
Old 04-18-2018, 02:54 PM

I live in So-Cal. By no means is this guy my actual mechanic. I usually do the work by myself, but I was actually stumped with this problem, and figured if I went to the local shop gave the guy a $20 for his time to come check it out he would, and he did. I'll look into the Idler Pulley, but I found a shop who would do an install and a rebuild for $2350, which has forced me into a corner of wether or not to fix the engine in it or pay the large sum to get a "rebuilt" engine.

BTW: I'd love to do the 5VZ swap, but I don't have the time or the space to do it on my own, so if you all have any recommendations about a shop in SoCal that can do it Sub $4k while keeping it Smog-Legal I'm all ears.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe he means the harmonic balancer(what you're calling the crank pulley) bearing?
Old 04-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
It doesn't sound like a squeal you'd hear from a spun bearing so stay away from the shop that quoted you for a rebuild. It sounds like they're just looking for your money. It sounds like rubber slipping. Either a belt slipping on something or the harmonic balancer slipping. You said the crank pulley doesn't spin? I see the power steering belt running in the video and that would indicate the crank pulley is a rotating. It is possible the inside portion of the balancer can still be slipping while still spinning the outside. Does the fan pulley rotate? The bearing there could be locked up.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Before declaring the engine is junk, lets investigate what is going on.

You might be about to spend way more money than needed (remember, you said you wanted to do a 3.4 swap in the future, so lets save the money now ).

That squeal is very typical of a belt slipping. I assume that you had proper belt tension on the belt when installing the new one, right?

If so, one of the pulleys in the power steering "circuit" (belt path) is not turning freely OR the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer rubber has failed. When the harmonic balancer rubber fails, it can allow the crankshaft to turn but the outer part of the pulley will not spin.

If you can, take a video of the pulleys so we can verify what you are seeing.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:53 PM

Will update tomorrow with the new video!

The fan itself does rotate. I appreciate the help guys, I also came up with the harmonic balancer failing on my searches as well, but I was under the impression that if that failed the crank pulley should rotate freely by hand. When the first belt snapped I still couldn't rotate it with my hand so I thought it wasn't an issue.

Regardless look for an update sometime tomorrow!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:13 PM

If the harmonic balancer fails catastrophically it might turn freely by hand. If the rubber just broke loose from one of the metal surfaces it might still be a snug fit and not turn by hand. Just what gets me is you said the crank pulley doesn't spin at all but yet we can still see the belt running with the engine indicating that it is, so I'm a bit confused.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:01 PM

Update

Hi everyone, as promised I am here to update you all and ask for even more help

So I went ahead and set the camera up and started the truck up, and now looking back at it with my own eyes the fan isn't moving. I'm not sure what to make of it anymore.

Please have a look at it for yourselves and let me know what you guys think!

https://streamable.com/nanx8

Thank you guys so much
Old 04-19-2018, 05:50 PM

Disconnect the belts starting with the most outer. Once the outer belt is removed start the truck and check out the noise. If the noise is still there remove the next belt and try again.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:52 PM

Is the water pump pulley seized?
Old 04-19-2018, 06:10 PM

The thing is I already know which belt is the one that’s squealing. It’s the power steering belt , because that’s the one that snapped. I don’t think it’s the water pump that was recently changed and the car did not even come close to overheating.

After some googleing I found out someone else had a similar problem and reported it as the false water pump.

I’m going to go ahead and disassemble it all tomorrow and see what’s up
Old 04-19-2018, 07:27 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
That whole fan pulley bracket assembly looks to not be turning and it should be. It's going to keep throwing belts. All of them. The water pump on this engine is timing belt driven but the cooling fan is as you know, run off of an accessory belt. It looks like you're on the right track with the cooling fan pulley bracket.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by InsigZi
The thing is I already know which belt is the one that’s squealing. It’s the power steering belt , because that’s the one that snapped. I don’t think it’s the water pump that was recently changed and the car did not even come close to overheating.

After some googleing I found out someone else had a similar problem and reported it as the false water pump.

I’m going to go ahead and disassemble it all tomorrow and see what’s up
I bet you that both belts connected to the fan pulley are squealing. The power steering belt is just the belt that happened to fail first. Right now, the belts are just rubbing against the pulley that cannot turn like it should. If I had to guess, a bearing probably went bad in that pulley and has seized.

Once you find the problem and correct it, make sure you clean all of the pulleys from the rubber residue left by the belts. Old residue from a belt/pulley problem could lead to a new belt squealing even though nothing else is wrong.

I would also buy new belts as these are probably worn from just rubbing on a pulley that isn't turning like it should.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:55 AM

Yeah the fan pulley is seized up. I don't remember for sure but I think the the whole bracket needs replaced. I don't think the bearing is serviceable.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:17 PM

Update round 2

I come bearing news!

I got most of the truck dissabalmed after coming back from work today, the only part left is the timing cover to take off. I can't move the fan pulley with my hand, and I assume that it's supposed to be free moving. I went ahead and placed an order on the part and it'll be here in a couple of days. Unfortunately I won't be able to work on my car till Friday, but I figured I can use this time to prepare myself for the work that lies ahead. Having said that, I have some torque values for when I reassemble the car, but I just want to confirm if these values are correct

Fan to clutch: 65 in.-lbs.

Fan + clutch to fan bracket: 48 inch-lbs

Fan bracket to Engine: 14 foot pounds

I am especially confused about the last one, because I can't find reference values anywhere. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you guys, saved me a lot of money and all the headache that comes with it. Hopefully I can have a start-up without her screaming at me
Old 04-22-2018, 02:20 AM

You can use torque specs if you want, but little things like this I'll usually just go by feel. I usually only torque the real important bolts. Things like lug nuts, flywheels, heads and so on. Something like what your working on often times will give you a wide range of torque specs like 25 to 35 ft pounds. That generally means proper torque isn't too critical. Just use good judgement. Don't put it on loose but try not to make it so tight you break the bolt.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Fan Bracket to engine is 30 ft-lbs (41 N-m; maybe someone copied the wrong number, and copied it wrong?)
http://web.archive.org/web/201204051...67timingbe.pdf

If you have a torque wrench (right now, they're $10 at Harbor Freight, so no excuse not to have one), there is no reason to not follow the manual and torque everything correctly. You're putting a fastener (frequently) into a chunk of aluminum, and what feels "right" to you might be enough to strip it out.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:45 PM

Thank you again! Seeing the manual numbers differ so much from what I have found scares me a bit. Thanks to your link I have values for all but the fan clutch going to the fan bracket. Would you happen to know the value for that? If possible I'd like to try and avoid arbritarlly fastening things as much as possible. I don't want my fan to fly off in the middle of the free-way on my way home from a graveyard shift haha!
Old 04-27-2018, 07:28 PM

She runs

Hi all, I just finished taking the fan bracket out and putting the new one in. It was a good solid 3-hour job and it was all the more fun putting everything back together again. As I was tightening down the last screw on my clamp for my hose leading to my radiator I noticed on the ground near my truck a small cylinder. I attached a photo of it below. Please tell me this isn't from the truck and it's not related to me haha!

P.S.: I started the truck and it ran fine, but had some barely visible white smoke after approximately 15-20 min of running coming from the engine that I think was just from it burning things off.

Thank you guys so much for the help, and sorry for the double post
Attached Thumbnails 93 Toyota Pickup 3VZE Pulley-img_9458.jpg   93 Toyota Pickup 3VZE Pulley-img_9623.jpg   93 Toyota Pickup 3VZE Pulley-img_9770.jpg  

Quick Reply: 93 Toyota Pickup 3VZE Pulley