Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93 sr5 rear hatch not opening...pic included

Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 sr5 rear hatch not opening...pic included

Hello everyone, so i have been working on different areas of my 93 sr5, and got started on the rear hatch, with the window being off track along with other issues.
MY symptoms are: when i use the key on the outside to lower the window, all i hear is the motor wirring and window does not move up or down. I removed the inner panels to see if something was loose and this is what i saw:

To me, it looks like it is missing something here...the inner lock does not go up, unless i manually pull up the pin (lower circle). Also, the inner handle does nothing when opened.
i tried opening the door manually through means of extending the cables as it would if the handle where connected; the door still would not open. i will note though that after doing that, when i turned on my rig, the rear hatch warning light was on in the cluster and turned off when i nudged the hatch closed.
Also, i had my brother turn the key on the outside of the door while i was on the inside to see if i could see anything moving for visual inspection, but i couldnt see anything moving. if in my picture i am really missing pieces, can anyone tell me where in the pic they are missing? also since i hear the motor wirring, i suspect that the window is off track, or that the teeeth on the motor are shot. can anyone shed light on this please? thanks in advance
Old 01-08-2013, 02:35 PM

no luck yet?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 AM

Well i found out that my window will go down by motor, but i cannot get it to rise. also got my hatch to open, pb blaster is my best friend. i can manually raise the window with my hands if i force it.
but it appears that the arms/gear assembly bends in, or out so it doesnt raise straight up or down properly. can anyone tell me how to fix that, or should i just replace the whole assembly?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 AM

Check the gear on your window motor. Mine was worn out in the middle and was not meshing.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM

can the window go up while using the motor if you help it? make sure nothing is bent, my wouldnt work because stuff got bent up so things no longer lined up. what also might help you is to pull the over off a friends tail gate to see how it is supost to work and where things are supost to be.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by wcasey5
Check the gear on your window motor. Mine was worn out in the middle and was not meshing.
if i knew how to remove the whole assembly from the door i would check..
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jake_D
can the window go up while using the motor if you help it? make sure nothing is bent, my wouldnt work because stuff got bent up so things no longer lined up. what also might help you is to pull the over off a friends tail gate to see how it is supost to work and where things are supost to be.
i tried to help it up with the motor running, but that was before i lubricated everything. i'll try again soon. and as for comparing to another rig, i wish i had friends that where into 4runners more than civics..lol
one thing i noticed, is that there is weather strip on both sides of the window. my inner weather strip is garbage because the teeth that lock it into place (when you install it) were bent and/or missing. since then i've noticed that without that weather strip installed, im able to move my window back and forth or in other words i can wobble the window in and out when it is down halfway or so. so that being said i think it's a contributing factor to why it wont raise.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM

yeah i had a problem like that with mine, i ended up putting in a different set of guts because i couldnt figure out what the exact problem was with the old one.