Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'93 Pickup V6 - Shifting/Clutch Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 Pickup V6 - Shifting/Clutch Issues

Hi all,

Long story short, I need some advice as my truck is having issues shifting.

A couple years back I had the stock clutch replaced (by a shop) with Marlin's HD ceramic clutch (at the time it was spec'd with a 1600lb pressure plate) - unbeknownst to me at the time, the release bearing was not replaced. Everything seemed to work fine for a good period of time until the shifts started losing their smoothness. It eventually got so bad that I would fight to get it into gear, and if I was coming up to a stop, I would fight to get it out of gear. I then bled the clutch thinking that this may be the culprit - this seemed to help a bit but was still nothing close to normal. I then replaced the flex hose in the system as well as the master and slave cylinders while also making sure I was getting the full throw from the clutch pedal (I adjusted the pedal when I put the new master in while making sure there was no signs of metal fatigue). With everything seemingly up to par, things felt pretty peachy, still not perfect, but a far cry from what I had been wrestling with.
Upon heading out this past weekend, I was sitting in neutral at a red light and proceeded to put it into first. With it in first with the clutch pedal pressed, I could hear a worn bearing noise coming from what I figure to be the release/throwout bearing. The noise would go away once the clutch was engaged and I was moving. By the end of the day on my way home, things started to get rough again to the point where I was almost back to the point of grinding gears once again.

My question: Would a worn release bearing be enough to cause the problems stated above? I will be swapping it out regardless on one of the upcoming weekends but wonder if I should be replacing anything else while in there. I'm tempted to put a lower weight pressure plate back in but realize that really shouldn't be an issue here. The only other option I can think of would be to check the clutch release fork for fatigue....

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:55 PM

, Absolutely the release bearing, and it could've possibly wore into the pressure plate, you'll have to look it once you take the tranny out, thats pretty lame that the shop didn't replace it
Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some other things you might consider replacing or checking (but probably not related to your problem):

Install a new shifter seat bushing.

Check for cracks in the clutch pedal mounting bracket - see sticky at the top of the forum.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:47 AM

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats