YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   93 4x4 Reg Cab - Stock wheels, stock graphics? (pic heavy) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/93-4x4-reg-cab-stock-wheels-stock-graphics-pic-heavy-303475/)

Indetrucks 02-16-2018 11:15 AM

93 4x4 Reg Cab - Stock wheels, stock graphics? (pic heavy)

Hey guys,
Long time lurker, 2nd time poster :)
I'll be picking up this 93 4x4 DLX Reg Cab tomorrow and while it's largely stock, I would like to get some factory looking graphics and stock wheels put back on it.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...d8f0cef9dd.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...b3a5bdf20b.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...fb686e8354.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...e061d032ec.jpg

I have a few questions for the pros:
What are the stock wheels for this truck? Google search pulls up two possibilities, the Steel wheels (below)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...dc2db406bb.jpg

And these wheels
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...9c7bb3e177.jpg

In addition, I would like to install the stock graphics from Jame Dean Creations, but was wondering.... Did all these trucks come with graphics from the factory, or was it an option?
He offers both blue and silver graphics, which color would be right for this truck?

My plan is to get it back to stock (factory wheels, graphics and lose the tool box). Is there a weight advantage to buying aftermarket wheels such as the ones on the red truck in the last pic or should I find some good used ones?
I also wouldn't mind throwing the stock radio back in there, but suppose that's a thread for another day.

Thanks for you input and happy Friday!

95YotaPickup 02-16-2018 05:43 PM

I'll do my best to help. Not sure on if all pickups came with graphics, but most I've seen do. Silver would be the right color for your truck, as the blue is a sky blue color and would be damn near invisible on your gray truck. As far as wheels go, the wheels that are on the first red truck are the ones that came on "base" and "DLX" models, while the alloy wheels on the 2nd red truck are from the "SR5" trim levels. Looks to me like the first set of wheels are what would've come on your truck from the factory. Also, what on earth is the red switch on the lower part of your dash, in front of the shifter? Never seen anything like that, and kind of curious.

old87yota 02-16-2018 07:33 PM

First off, you have a really nice and clean truck! :great:

Not all trucks came with graphics from the factory, but most did. The red truck you posted with steel wheels is a factory advertising picture and it does not have any stripes.

It is all a matter of personal preference. I would install silver stripes for your paint color.

Both wheel types you have pictured are factory. Just like 95YotaPickup said, the base and DLX trucks had the triangular cut-out steel wheels from the first red truck, and the fancier "SR5" trucks got the alloy wheels shown in the last picture. The weight of either stock wheel shouldn't be a concern, especially if you are keeping stock or close to stock tire sizes.

Your truck does have SR5 type of options (clock, air conditioning, fancier gauge set), which means you can put the SR5 wheels and no one would think twice about it, even though you state that the truck is a DLX. The original owner probably just ordered some of the factory upgrades separately rather than just purchasing the SR5 package.

I am going to guess the red switch in the dash in front of the shifter is for the fog lights by the license plate.

:safari:

nmtoy 02-17-2018 04:45 AM

Nice truck! I would do the Alloy wheels as they look better than the steelies. My 88 extracab is a DLX but it has graphics and alloy wheels.

Indetrucks 02-17-2018 04:58 AM

Thanks for the responses guys! Much appreciated :)
I did not know the ins ad outs of the wheels and packages they came on, so thanks again! I agree, those alloys are nicer than the steelies, so I'll probably go with those.

I have not asked about that switch but looking at the fog lights, I'd imagine it was for those (as others have said).

I'm up early as I'm about to drive the 5+ hrs each way to pick up the truck. Gotta put in some effort if you want nice things sometimes :)

N_Aviles 02-17-2018 05:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Alloys only came on the SR5 V6 models. Here is my truck. It is a 1993 Deluxe 22RE. Bought brand new by my father in 1993. I've owned it since March of last year, and I added some OEM alloys I found on Craigslist. The change from the heavy OEM steelies to the alloys made a noticeable difference in accelleration(with a truck this underpowered every little bit helps).

Indetrucks 02-17-2018 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by N_Aviles (Post 52390772)
Alloys only came on the SR5 V6 models. Here is my truck. It is a 1993 Deluxe 22RE. Bought brand new by my father in 1993. I've owned it since March of last year, and I added some OEM alloys I found on Craigslist. The change from the heavy OEM steelies to the alloys made a noticeable difference in accelleration(with a truck this underpowered every little bit helps).

Thank you for this..
I have seen these aftermarket alloys for sale on parts geek, wonder if it would be ok to pick them up or if I should stick to used ones on craigslist etc.
Anyone have experience with these knockoffs?

old87yota 02-17-2018 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Indetrucks (Post 52390773)
Thank you for this..
I have seen these aftermarket alloys for sale on parts geek, wonder if it would be ok to pick them up or if I should stick to used ones on craigslist etc.

Those wheels appear to be OEM wheels that have been cleaned up for resale.

The item description shows that the wheels are "remanufactured", which usually means it is a used part that has been cleaned (painted), inspected and wear parts replaced (if applicable).

N_Aviles 02-17-2018 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Indetrucks (Post 52390773)
Thank you for this..

I found mine on Craigslist for less than $200 for the set. Deals are out there

old87yota 02-17-2018 12:41 PM

Searching for Craigslist deals is probably your best bet.

Just be aware that there are "early" and "late" versions of the SR5 wheels that are different sizes. There should be a thread here that explains the differences.

Indetrucks 02-18-2018 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota (Post 52390806)
Searching for Craigslist deals is probably your best bet.

Just be aware that there are "early" and "late" versions of the SR5 wheels that are different sizes. There should be a thread here that explains the differences.

Oh, didn't know that. I will look for that thread as this is stock wheels is my #1 priority

edit* Is that thread a sticky by chance? Or do you know the title key words to search for other than "stock wheels?" A whole ton of threads popped up and it could take me weeks to sift through em :)

old87yota 02-18-2018 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Indetrucks (Post 52390876)
Oh, didn't know that. I will look for that thread as this is stock wheels is my #1 priority

edit* Is that thread a sticky by chance? Or do you know the title key words to search for other than "stock wheels?" A whole ton of threads popped up and it could take me weeks to sift through em :)

Sorry, I don't remember where I saw that, otherwise I would have just posted the link! It was mentioned on threads where people were also looking for SR5 wheels.

I have a two wheel drive truck so I have not personally looked into it myself.

I am sure one of the stock 4WD gurus here knows.

nmtoy 02-19-2018 06:11 AM

I would not buy those wheels, way too expensive for what they are. There are good deals on alloys out there. you should be able to find a set for under $200.00. Good luck on the drive home with the new truck. I flew to Phoenix and drove 8 hours home in mine.

Indetrucks 02-19-2018 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by nmtoy (Post 52390986)
I would not buy those wheels, way too expensive for what they are. There are good deals on alloys out there. you should be able to find a set for under $200.00. Good luck on the drive home with the new truck. I flew to Phoenix and drove 8 hours home in mine.

Thanks and yeah.. they are pricey but now I'm concerned with what alloy wheels are correct for that 93 I just picked up. Didn't know there were two different types.
Do the 4runner alloys fit the pickup or do I need to stick with the Pickup alloys?

And speaking of the 93, I drove out and back with a buddy on Sat. (12 hrs total) and made it back without a hitch. Great little truck.
The seller filled up the tank for me (with 87) and it pinged up the BIG hills. When it got to half tank I put 91 in it and it didn't ping up the next big hill (Grapevine). The truck prefers 91 it seems :)

Indetrucks 02-19-2018 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by N_Aviles (Post 52390772)

That's a beautiful truck. Extra cab would have been my choice for sure!

Can I ask a favor?
I found a set of alloys like the ones on your truck.
The seller said they are off a 1992 4Runner and are stamped T 15x7JJ-8.
Are these correct for the 93 Pickup I just purchased?

Do you mind taking a look at the stamping on one of your wheels to see if it's the same as the "T 15x7JJ-8" wheels I am looking to buy?

Cheers and REALLY appreciate it :)

N_Aviles 02-19-2018 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Indetrucks (Post 52391017)
That's a beautiful truck. Extra cab would have been my choice for sure!

Can I ask a favor?
I found a set of alloys like the ones on your truck.
The seller said they are off a 1992 4Runner and are stamped T 15x7JJ-8.
Are these correct for the 93 Pickup I just purchased?

Do you mind taking a look at the stamping on one of your wheels to see if it's the same as the "T 15x7JJ-8" wheels I am looking to buy?

Cheers and REALLY appreciate it :)

Those are what I have, yes they will work.

Indetrucks 02-19-2018 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by N_Aviles (Post 52391027)
Those are what I have, yes they will work.

Thank you kind sir!

Indetrucks 02-19-2018 01:48 PM

In doing some research, I found this article that talks about the differences between the alloy wheels from the different years.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/06...-buyers-guide/

Figured this would help someone who happens to search and find this thread.