Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'93 3vze AT new rebuild and is Lazy dog.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 3vze AT new rebuild and is Lazy dog.

All,
Bought a 93 that had the harmonic balancer spin and ruin the crank . It was temporarily repaired with a lot of locktight and JB weld. So I was able to drive it before the rebuild and it ran very well. Fired right up had plenty of power, etc. It was a reman motor with 20k miles on it

Fast forward.. motor has been rebuilt. New crank, bearings all the way around, new oil pump, new water pump, new knock sensor and a new connector (both Toyota OEM).
Block and heads were resurfaced to accept MLS head gaskets, valves were all in spec. New plugs wires and rotor rotor cap(Toyota OEM)

After priming the oil pump, engine fired right up,. We timed it to +10 TDC. After timing it, it runs nice and smooth all the way up in the rpm range.

200 miles on it now since installed

It has ZERO power I am lucky if I can get it to hit 40 mph.

No CEL. I have tried to pull codes but all I get is a steady flash of the CEL and O/D light, which my understanding is means there are no stored codes.

Compression check shows 180 +/- on all cylinders.

Plugs were interesting in that plugs from cylinders 3 and 5 were nice and clean, and the others were all black and sooty.

I am stumped. I am convinced it's a timing or ignition issue. But I can isolate it.

When I adjust the timing, spinning the distributor counter clockwise, I bottom out of the adjustment to get it to 10 TDS. But I've done it a couple times and I am positive I am not a tooth off. The belt was lined up dead on the marks.

Don't know where to go next. I will remove the catalytic converter and see if a free flow improves it.

But the condition of the plugs just really leads me.tonthink it's ignition related.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Originally Posted by Jared Minnick
All,
Bought a 93 that had the harmonic balancer spin and ruin the crank . It was temporarily repaired with a lot of locktight and JB weld. So I was able to drive it before the rebuild and it ran very well. Fired right up had plenty of power, etc. It was a reman motor with 20k miles on it

Fast forward.. motor has been rebuilt. New crank, bearings all the way around, new oil pump, new water pump, new knock sensor and a new connector (both Toyota OEM).
Block and heads were resurfaced to accept MLS head gaskets, valves were all in spec. New plugs wires and rotor rotor cap(Toyota OEM)

After priming the oil pump, engine fired right up,. We timed it to +10 TDC. After timing it, it runs nice and smooth all the way up in the rpm range.

200 miles on it now since installed

It has ZERO power I am lucky if I can get it to hit 40 mph.

No CEL. I have tried to pull codes but all I get is a steady flash of the CEL and O/D light, which my understanding is means there are no stored codes.

Compression check shows 180 +/- on all cylinders.

Plugs were interesting in that plugs from cylinders 3 and 5 were nice and clean, and the others were all black and sooty.

I am stumped. I am convinced it's a timing or ignition issue. But I can isolate it.

When I adjust the timing, spinning the distributor counter clockwise, I bottom out of the adjustment to get it to 10 TDS. But I've done it a couple times and I am positive I am not a tooth off. The belt was lined up dead on the marks.

Don't know where to go next. I will remove the catalytic converter and see if a free flow improves it.

But the condition of the plugs just really leads me.tonthink it's ignition related.
I replaced spark plugs, new intake gasket as when I took the pleneum off the gasket was already torn? How that happened no idea, it was brand new. I swapped out the injectors with Denso rebuilds. I had put bosch 4 hole injectors in it.

Put it back together and it runs like it should! ..

So who knows which one of those or all of them were the issue. Injectors I am sure and possibly a manifold leak due to torn gasket.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I have read about people going for the 4 hole injectors and having problems like yours. I opted to go back with OEM injectors on my rebuilt 3.0 and it is running good. I have had the plenum gasket tear also, but it was of thin material. Glad you figured it out. Enjoy.