Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 3.0l start running rough, smoking and smelling like an old lawnmower?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 3.0l start running rough, smoking and smelling like an old lawnmower?

So I went to work one morning and when I went to go home I cranked the yota up and it sounded like it lost a few cylinders, started belching smoke and smelled really bad like half burnt gas and oil, the whole truck was shaking. I checked the usual things like spark, compression, antifreeze bubbling etc. Changed the cap and rotor, changed the oil and nothing worked, it would stop smoking as I drove but it just ran like a jackhammer and would belch smoke at a stop, nothing seemed wrong but it wasn't right either. Now I did fix it, I am not sure exactly what it was but if you know please tell me, but for those with this problem what I did was take the plenum completely off this way you handle and can inspect all vac lines, I found the egr modulator had a broken nipple and I found a couple cracked vac lines in the spaghetti, also I took the injectors out and cleaned them (9v battery a couple jumpers and carb cleaner, lots of vids on youtube) also I cleaned the plenum and throttle body and the MAF thing. After I got it all together it ran ten times better then before and had way more power. That's all folks thanks!! PS. If you are an experienced mechanic and you know what caused this please answer!