Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 Toyota Pickup 22re acting gutless. PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 Toyota Pickup 22re acting gutless. PLEASE HELP!!!

I rebuilt my 22re bout 5,000mi ago and i have had no problems up untill this point and have no idea what it could be, very frustrating!!!
After warming up my truck i get on the highway next to my house and try to get up to 35mph but once i try to give it gas it seems like its misfiring and sorta sputters and feels totally gutless. when i put the pedal to the floor it hardly accelerates and after a second it takes off, then when i shift to 2nd it does it all over again. its very intermidant. and after it warms up it stops doing it, then when i come to a stop light it will idle at about 500 rpm then it goes the the gutless process all over again!

My pickup starts up fine and runs about 1,200rpm until it warms up and then idles at 750rpm so i dont think its the cold start injector, i have replaced the feul filter, the o2 sensor, the tempature sunsor and cleaned out the egr modular filter trying to solve my problem. any help would be very much appriciated
Thanks.

Last edited by David_mx70; 03-30-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:08 PM

Anyone?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 PM

my 92 does the samething, but in 1st and 2nd, 3rd is fine. i know the last time i changed my fuel filter is ran great for a couple months, then it started acting up again.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 PM

ya i guess it is doing it in first and second, just took it out and checked.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it started doing this out of the blue, check connections. Spark plug wires, temperature sensor on the front of the block, etc.

Rob
Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 PM

ya, right outa the blue ive replaced the temp sensor, checked the plug wires and vaccuum lines. still no luck
Originally Posted by rdlsz24
If it started doing this out of the blue, check connections. Spark plug wires, temperature sensor on the front of the block, etc.

Rob
Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 PM

i figured it might be my fuel tank, the truck sat for almost a year with no gas in it before i bought it.

when i replaced the fuel filter it looked kinda like watered down coffee, she ran fine after that for a good 2 months, and now it's doing it again, i haven't had the chance to pull the fuel filter off and check it out to see if it's bad.

hopefully someone else has had this problem and fixed it, i'd love to know what it is.

it's atleast 20x's worse in the woods.

EDIT: my truck does it at random. some days it wont do it at all, other days it'll do it for a little bit. sometimes if you ride the clutch out it settles it down a little.

Last edited by mattaway; 03-30-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 PM

were having the same exact problem except my truck started doing this when i completely ran it out of gas, my fuel guage is off quite a bit also (when empty its just below half tank) i have heard of other people having this problem but no fix!
Originally Posted by mattaway
i figured it might be my fuel tank, the truck sat for almost a year with no gas in it before i bought it.

when i replaced the fuel filter it looked kinda like watered down coffee, she ran fine after that for a good 2 months, and now it's doing it again, i haven't had the chance to pull the fuel filter off and check it out to see if it's bad.

hopefully someone else has had this problem and fixed it, i'd love to know what it is.

EDIT: my truck does it at random. some days it wont do it at all, other days it'll do it for a little bit. sometimes if you ride the clutch out it settles it down a little.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:54 PM

hmm....

my fuel guage is pretty accurate (i've never ran it out of gas anyways)

i wonder if it's something do with the fuel pump?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:56 PM

i dont think its the fuel pump. usually when people have electrical fuel pump problems they just stop working
hmm....

my fuel guage is pretty accurate (i've never ran it out of gas anyways)

i wonder if it's something do with the fuel pump?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:20 PM

Shot in the dark: sucked up gunk when you ran it dry, got passed the filter and clogged an injector(s)? I know it doesn't sound likely, but I've seen stranger...
Old 03-30-2009, 03:31 PM

i was considering that but was hoping there would be an easier fix, im too busy with college to work on it. guess ill give it a look when i get the chance.
Originally Posted by qdude79
Shot in the dark: sucked up gunk when you ran it dry, got passed the filter and clogged an injector(s)? I know it doesn't sound likely, but I've seen stranger...
Old 03-30-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
If you can check fuel pressure. There may be a clog in the line before the filter.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i had a bad injector on a nissan (just clogged up with gunk i guess) ran a can of seafoam threw it and it smoked up my entire neighborhood then like 2 days later started runnin fine maybe a thought?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:55 PM

there is definitely a bunch of crap in your tank. you say its worse going through the woods? well your probably bouncing around everywhere stirring up in the bottom of your tank.

there is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank, under the skid plate. run the tank low then pull that plug and see what comes out. i bet it will be nasty. the same stuff your fuel filter was full of, rusty fuel and water

i had a 4runner that sat for 10 yrs. i had to replace the whole fuel tank with one from my parts truck the inside was so nasty. the fuel pump was completely encased with rust
Old 03-30-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
x2 on the junk in your fuel tank. pre-filter on the fuel pumps probably getting clogged up. I had a similar problem. Intermittent at first and kept getting worse
Old 03-30-2009, 07:21 PM

ive tried seafoam and every other fuel injecter cleaner out there
Originally Posted by yoterr
i had a bad injector on a nissan (just clogged up with gunk i guess) ran a can of seafoam threw it and it smoked up my entire neighborhood then like 2 days later started runnin fine maybe a thought?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 PM

when this tank of fuel gets low ill definitely check into it, the fuel filter was pretty clogged with a brown sludge. sound like a good idea.
Originally Posted by d71889b
there is definitely a bunch of crap in your tank. you say its worse going through the woods? well your probably bouncing around everywhere stirring up in the bottom of your tank.

there is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank, under the skid plate. run the tank low then pull that plug and see what comes out. i bet it will be nasty. the same stuff your fuel filter was full of, rusty fuel and water

i had a 4runner that sat for 10 yrs. i had to replace the whole fuel tank with one from my parts truck the inside was so nasty. the fuel pump was completely encased with rust
Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by David_mx70
ive tried seafoam and every other fuel injecter cleaner out there

same here, it's been probly 5 months since i seafoamed it though.

2 things i always do when i get a new truck, oil change, and seafoam

well i just put gas it today so maybe this saturday or sunday it'll be low enough to drain out. i'll pick up a can of seafoam on the way home tomorrow just to see what happens.

i'm kind of excited now!
Old 03-30-2009, 07:36 PM

sorry to double post....

depending on how bad the gunk in the tank is, should i take the tank in to get professionally cleaned? there's a place in town that'll do it for $75-80. is there something i can do at home myself to save some $$$?

Quick Reply: 92 Toyota Pickup 22re acting gutless. PLEASE HELP!!!