Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'92 Toyota dlx - warble noise & wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 Toyota dlx - warble noise & wheel hop

Hello,

I am a newbie on this forum and a first time Toyota truck owner. Just bought a beatiful 92 Toyota pickup dlx. It has 134,000 original on a 22re engine. New clutch and just had the front wheel bearings done. I thought the wheel bearing would fix my issue with a warbling sound that I have. It feels like something is out of balance in the drivetrain. It gets quicker as I speed up, it continues at all speeds and even when the gears are not engaged and I am coasting. I had the suspension checked out and all was good. I have read other forums indicating engine mounts fix this issue but just wanted to see what you all had to say.

I also get a slight wheel hop. It seems to be worse when in 4WD.

Lastly, the car starts up great and idles perfect when warming up but after driving a while, I get a very slight rough idle. I don't have a lot of history in the vehicle. It looks to be immaculately taken car of. Wasn't an off-road vehicle.

Since this is an old truck and I don't have a lot of history. What steps would you take to make sure everything is at a good foundation from here on out.

Thank you
Old 01-06-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the u-joints and driveshaft center support bearing (if it has one)
Old 01-07-2015, 12:09 PM

I don't have a center bearing mount. I had it check out today. The drivetrain shop had a hard time pinpointing the issue. He said that it could be a bad transmission mount. I heard that with bad tranny mounts your car will pull left or right even with perfect alignment. I had the alignment done along with wheel bearing job and it does indeed still pull. Does this sound like a good diagnoses. The u-joint apparently were newer as the were regreasable.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:33 PM

A shop that said "it could be" doesn't sound convincing. I check for broken mounts with a long prybar, if it separates it's bad. There's no "could be" when you're taking a vehicle in for service. Have a Toyota dealer or reputable mechanic check it. Wheel hop might be as simple as a bad shock or as complicated as a bad differential. Drivetrain vibration is usually u-joints but might be elsewhere. U-joints going bad make an intermittent chirping/warble noise when the grease dries out to a clunking noise when they're really bad and about to drop the shaft. Any more information you could provide?
Old 01-07-2015, 01:09 PM

On the alignment pull: Do you have a printout of the alignment? I'd like to see where it's set. Does it pull on all roads? if not it's road crown pull. If so try rotating only the front tires side to side to see if it pulls the other way to rule out a tire issue.

Last edited by bswarm; 01-07-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:49 PM

I uploaded the alignment chart. I went to a Toyota dealer today and had the truck inspected. They said that my rear wheel bearings were out. They want to charge $711.88 to replace them. I got another quote from a drivetrain shop for $498. Expensive! The dealer also noted that they checked the transmission for noise "there is quite a howl and grinding noise at this time. checked fluid and appears to be good. Record replacing transmission as well as rear axle seals".

My truck shifts great, I don't see or feel any problem there and the clutch was just replaced by the previous owner (05/12/2014 have the papers), I called the shop that preformed the work and they said they would not replace a clutch on a bad transmission.

What to do here? Seems kinda crazy to just say, OK, ya sure replace the transmission as well.
Attached Thumbnails '92 Toyota dlx - warble noise & wheel hop-align.jpg   '92 Toyota dlx - warble noise & wheel hop-truck-2.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 02:16 PM

Your alignment looks fair, it looks like they only did a front toe adjustment. The only thing I don't like is the LR toe in, and the rear thrust angle, it should be as close to 0 as possible but is not adjustable on a solid axle. If the rear bearings are worn and loose enough that might account for some of it. Get the bearings replaced like they said and go from there.