Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 RE Squeal, not at first start up but at startup after a 25 mile drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 05:11 PM
BFA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 RE Squeal, not at first start up but at startup after a 25 mile drive?

I posted below asking about tricks to tighten an alternator belt. But I'm wondering if the squeal IS a belt. I think it is. Sure sounds like it, but it is at a strange time. I can fire it up first thing and don't hear a thing. Maybe very rarely. But I can drive to the deer stand 30 min to an hour, shut it off for hours THEN I will hear it squeal for a second or two On that startup. If I hard rev it, I faintly hear it. I never heard it until this spring. I had the belts changed after I plowed a six point with it and it was already in the shop. That was maybe 3K miles ago. It is not my daily driver so prob 1.5 years ago. Checking the belts I have about 1/4 deflection on the AC belt but an inch or so on the PS and Alt belts. They seem too loose to me. PS belt shows that deflection on the top span of only 6 or so inches. Gonna tighten them Friday. Work has been in the way. I would think a loose belt would squeal at the first startup. Thoughts?? Thanks to those who gave me the info in my other post, but this was sort of a different question.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by BFA
Thoughts??
Thanks to those who gave me the info in my other post, but this was sort of a different question.
That is a very vague question, but I'll assume you mean about what is happening under your hood.

You need to get your eyes and ears in there and find the source. Inspect the belt inspect the pulley.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:09 AM
BFA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I've looked and know how much play is in the belts. I posted that. There is nothing to "listen for" since it only makes a noise for two seconds when I start it up and that is not every time. I was just wondering if that description sounded like a belt. Odd to me that it would be quiet at cold startup and squeak after I drove half an hour, shut it off for hours (3-4) THEN it quealed on start.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Still worth getting in there. You want to look for chaff on the belts, and polished or gummed up spots on the pulley, as well as lubricants.

Chaffing or polish marks will identify what, where and maybe why. Another likely cause is fluid(s) that get on the belt or pulley when it heat cycles, they evaporate over night but not in the few hour span.