Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 extended cab - totaled - Insurance payout?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 extended cab - totaled - Insurance payout?

Alright.... last week i got rear ended by a 2008 Ford F250.

doesn't look too bad from here

not even too bad here....

ooooh, that's not good:

oh, ty.....

doh! other side:

and what did i drop off at the machine shop the week before????? :

So, i've heard from the adjuster, they've decided that frame replacement is required, hence the truck is pretty much totaled. They have however, had a hard time finding a value for a '92 extended cab in 'above average shape' is how i believe the adjuster described it. I'll end up buying the truck back, and fixing the frame, but i'm just curious what other people in similar situations have received.

100% of liability was on the other driver, his insurance is Nationwide, and thus far, they have been treating me quite well, so, time will tell how this turns out.

Last edited by KingD; 05-14-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It looks like to me that frame has been cracked for quite a while. Note the rusty part of the crack vs the non-rusty clean part.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
It looks like to me that frame has been cracked for quite a while.
Nope.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy the truck back and bob the bed and you're good to go! I think I am no autobody guy so I don't know if the rest of the frame is good but that's what I would do.

Sorry about the truck though!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So it just rusted on part of the crack after the wreck and not the other part? Sorry... not buying that, I had a whole semester of fracture mechanics of engineering materials.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:21 AM

Sounds like it's time to get some receipts together for the things the insurance company can't see. 4.7 gears in the T-case, 4:88's in the diff's and the cam in the engine. Remember, the adjuster's job for the insurance company is to give you the least amount of money possible for the vehicle, it's your job to get the most amount of money back. It's not your fault you got hit by their customer so get money for your truck and get money for having to deal with the hassle. Eric
Old 05-14-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Sorry... not buying that, I had a whole semester of fracture mechanics of engineering materials.
Your 16 weeks worth of fracture mechanics is very impressive. :bows down:
and no, the frame rails were NOT cracked before the accident.

I will buy the truck back, If the rear ladder section of the frame is tweaked/diamond'd it's not by much, and i really don't care. It still drives straight as an arrow. I'm more curious what others have received from insurance for total loss/replacement value for similar situations.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I got 6100 for this POS after I wrecked it, although, payouts will vary depending on area of the nation, and im in Cali.
Before.

After

Old 05-14-2009, 09:29 AM

Also note I showed them almost 2grand worth of receipts in engine repair from under 4 months before the wreck.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much are they trying to offer you? I can't see it being much more than $2.5 - $3k to be honest. It's clear by the pics that the frame has been rusted for quite some time & was probably very weak. Whatever they offer you, I would buy it back & repair it. You may end up with a salvaged title though. You have to remember that insurance companies will try to pay out as little as possible. You can always decline the first offer & see what they will do. Then again if they do only offer 3 grand u can buy the truck back for fairly cheap, fix it & have a few $$$ left over.

Last edited by turborich; 05-14-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm kind of with Dale here... but to me, it looks like someone cut the frame right behind the shackles like they were going to bob it.
You can see in your passenger side's picture of the frame rail, spots that are rusted and spots of bare metal on the places that maybe didn't get cut all the way through... and also, why is the lower part of the frame rail on that side folded up into the vertical section when the driver's side is bent further under the vehicle?

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-14-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
I got 6100 for this POS after I wrecked it, although, payouts will vary depending on area of the nation, and im in Cali.
Thanks for your reply! And wow, i'm not expecting that much... but that is the info i was looking for. I purchased the truck for $4800 almost 2 years ago, and i don't have much in it other than a new AFM and a rebuilt head swap.

Not to be rude to anyone else, but i just plain don't care if you believe the frame was cracked prior to the accident or not... I'm not sure how much more blatant i can be... FRAME WAS NOT CRACKED PRIOR TO ACCIDENT! Any surface rust you see in these pictures is quite minimal, frame is solid with no signs of rot anywhere front to rear. I was in traffic, nearly stopped, and hit by a F250 that left over 70' worth of skid marks. Impact was quite hard, and I thought the truck survived quite well.

I am expecting another call from the insurance adjuster today or tomorrow with payout/buyback numbers. I will update thread after the fact.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 AM

Check out craigslist...
Insurance will pay you Fair Market Value which is what the trucks are selling for in your area.

Print out the ads with similar year model engine etc..
That should get you a good number, and you can deff haggle with them, At first the wanted to give us 3600, but like I said then we showed them reciepts and got 6100..

Good luck with whatever happens..

Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 AM

Angry

Well... insurance has offered me ~$3200.....BUT... with a $1200 salvage cost! Seriously... WTF. So, that'd be $2000 and i'd have to deal with salvage title -> to reconstructed title/inspection. Not making me a happy camper to say the least.

Round 2!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I figured that's about what they would offer you (seems like a fair price) as they don't care about all of the upgrades that have been done. The buy back seems a little high though. Good luck on trying to get some more $$$ outta them.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Frame may have not been cracked. BUT! Notice thats excatly where the reese hitch is bolted up too. It looks to me like it has been fatigued there for sometime. Not a cracked but if you have been hit before or pulled alot of trailers or the previous owner did then there you go.... its noticeable IT HAS FATIGUE RIGHT THERE AT THAT PART WHERE IT BROKE! May not be a cracked but it was stressed there. And the force of the trailer hitch going in an opposite direction of the frame did not help and created pressure points there in the crash thus POP! But is that the only frame damage? If so thats not too bad. Rip the bed off and weld a new frame piece there (maybe with some more reinforcement too) then your good... But that part of the frame was def stressed by something and also looks like the truck fully impacted mostly the hitch anyway... anywho i dunno what the insurance company plans too do about it but replacing the whole frame is a freaking lot of work its best to get another truck or repair what happened at that back if possible. From that i would imagine they would give you about 2000-6000$ depending on how they fix or price things.....This is actaully a common break point in old yotas anyway i've had a truck rear ended and did the samething and they welded it up all nice and new and seen some.... it happens 90% only if ya got a trailer hitch cause it puts pressure in it too much...

Last edited by Kiroshu; 05-20-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by turborich
IThe buy back seems a little high though. Good luck on trying to get some more $$$ outta them.
Buy back seems INSANE to me. Last time i was involved with anything like this, was buy back of my friends totaled WRX. that was a 2002, half as many miles, 10 years younger, and in better condition... buyback was $600. Seriously... $1200???? WTF!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Start arguing with them- rims, tires, ANYTHING you've done to it... stereo, tinting etc.
DO NOT ACCEPT THEIR OFFER!!! They will try to rip you off coming and going, as you can tell.
Find KBB for a stock 4x4 x-tra cab of your year and start there, adding on. Surprising the adjuster couldn't find this. If you've got a/c, oversized wheels, etc... it all adds more. You can go to www.kbb.com and look up with options if you want.
Here's KBB for a stock, 4wd, 22re with am/fm stereo and no other options: http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...uizConditions=
private party price ~3000.

and here's what you could expect to pay for it at a dealer:
http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...pePath=Private
dealer price- 4000.

they offer you 3200. you couldn't replace it for what they offer so they need to up the payout

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-20-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Just to update this thread for any future use:

Finally came to terms with insurance... ended up filing a claim with my insurance company (allstate) as opposed to getting bent over by the liable party's insurance (nationwide).

Brief summary - Nationwide was way off base on all their numbers (inflated salvage and repair cost, and very low value of the truck itself), it would have come down to a payout of ~$2500 and requiring me to salvage title the truck.

Allstate ended up giving me ~$3500 and keeping the truck out of the total loss category. So.. 9 weeks later, i'll finally have some cash to finish the RET block and i'll probably just ignore the bodywork on the back side. So, needless to say, i'll be sticking with allstate for any foreseeable time in the future..... not to mention how rude and ignorant some of the nationwide representatives were.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 AM

A bit late to the party, but....

My '93 4Runner was hit from behind while parked. The damage was estimate at $4,000. My insurance had to cover it since the lady that hit it claimed she was hit from behind pushing her into mine

Anyhoo, State Farm totaled my rig. After negotiating based on local trucks on Craigslist and Vehix.com, we settled on $4,700 with a $600 buy back. After they added in tax, took out my deductible and salvage, I got a check for $4,200. I bought the truck back, had the repairs done for $2,500 by finding my own used parts when I could, and put the remainder into new brakes, bearings, exhaust, etc. The best part is that Colorado doesn't consider it salvage given the age, so the title is good and it was never taken off my policy.

I considered filing another claim last month because of hail damage but didn't want to push my luck. The damage is light and I'm not intending on selling it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 extended cab - totaled - Insurance payout?