86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 4runner rebuild and the curse of the motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 92 4runner rebuild and the curse of the motor mounts

Well I had to rebuild my 3.0, I had a bad knock, but it still ran ok.

Yea, a real good reason for the knock. So, I found a different block and had the motor rebuilt. Now is where it gets fun, they went to put the motor back into the truck and found out that the motor mounts don't fit.... It seems I had picked up an '88 4 boss block. Ok I thought, just call Toyota and get new mounts.... No such luck, they are a discontinued part and they couldn't find them.... Ok, so I hunted around and found a set in N.C. that were on an '88, got them shipped up and went to bolt them on the block, still a no go..... So, now I have a butt load of money tied up in a rebuilt motor and I can't find a freaking set of motor mounts!!! Yes I must be cursed, I guess in a former life I must have caught the Pope on fire and then used the Dali Llama to beat the flames out.

Ok, now that I have that off my chest I am still trying to figure out the motor mounts.... any ideas guys?

Greg
Confused and cursed in Ky.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:26 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
So why don't they fit?

and

:wabbit2:
Old 10-04-2011, 05:25 PM

Well I got the passengers side to finally fit, mostly.... Just took a big hammer and a drill to move a hole over... But the driver-side mount, well the mount I have is like 2 1/2 inches between centers top to bottom, and my bolt holes on the block are like 4 inches on center. Then it has to get around the oil filter and oil cooler too.... Oh, and don't forget the dipstick, (Not me the one on the motor).... The mount on the drivers side has 4 bolts on this block, on the other 3VZ block only used 3 bolts in a triangle. Right now I am just shaking my head and trying to figure it all out. I don't have access to a machine shop or the tools I need to make a mount so I am just kind of stuck looking for the correct one. That bracket is going to drive me spare sooner or latter. My other option is to fix it all with the AR, but they say I probably shouldn't do that in town I guess I don't want to make too many holes in my poor 4runner.

So, any ideas where to find that hen tooth bracket?

Greg

Last edited by RatGDH; 10-04-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:51 AM

Question

OK, so here is a picture of the side of the block where the motor mount should go, you know one that will fit there? I still haven't found one that will fit.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:10 AM

mine is identical, but if you take another picture a bit higher on the block there is a hole that is almost center to the 2 holes in the top of this pic. My mount is a triangle. the two top holes in your current picture are the bottom holes and base of the triangle.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:24 AM

Actually that is the problem, there is no 3rd hole above these 4 holes. this is an early '88 block and it used different motor mounts, they changed to the style that is in use now in '89 and the style for the '88 is no longer made or stocked anywhere....
Old 10-06-2011, 05:04 AM

oh that sucks. well what is where the upper hole is suppose to be? , I mean how does the metal look? could you drill and tap or possibly just mount up the stock mount and grind it till it fits. possibly weld up a piece or a few of 1/4'' steel cut and drilled to use the bottom holes with the stock mount?. sounds something awful but that sounds a whole lot cheaper and possible to get all that money back under the hood. Wonder if a 22r mount looks anything like that. or at least close enough to get it fab'd.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:15 AM

There isn't even a blank boss up there to drill, or trust me I would have had a drill and tap after it already. I have one mount that was supposed to be off an '88, but it is like 2 1/2' between centers, and this thing is like 4 inches. I have a friend going to see if he has a 22R mount so we can see if it will work, he also thinks he has a diesel mount so we can check it too. As for fabricating one I don't have the tools to do it. Maybe I should have just kept driving it!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:03 AM

Just curious. All that time and money to rebuild the motor, why didnt you spray the block and pan for that crate motor freshness look?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 AM

Didn't really think about it. I did pressure wash it, but it will be muddy and dirty shortly again.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Haha true. That Is one f-ed up rod though. Hope the mount issue works out for you.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:37 PM

not to throw another monkey your way->
can you not "fabricate" something out of cardboard? serious!
with the premise to take to a shop and have them make something up? just an idea. if i were close by- you'd have one kick-ass set of motor mounts for less than 3 bills. done. i'm not a machinist. nor am i a welder. but i can 'adapt' things. holler back if i can be of some help.