Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

92 4Runner... just got it back on the road and have a couple new problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 4Runner... just got it back on the road and have a couple new problems

my truck is a 92 4runner approx 150k miles.

a few months ago, i busted my upper left a-arm on my 92 4Runner. it was an after market a-arm from an old company (West Coast Off Road). anyway, got it all fixed and reinforced and FINALLY back on the road.

i've now noticed a couple new problems. i still need to go in for alignment but i think i got the t-bars pretty dialed in w/ how it was before. problem is that when braking from about 30-35 miles per hour, the truck pulls to the left. is this just an alignment problem? any ideas?

also, my a/c stopped blowing cold air. i just got it re-charged in may of 2006 and they tested it for leaks and no leaks found. when i hit the a/c button on idle, i do hear the engine idle increase but still no cold air. it was blowing fine before my truck went down 5 months ago. is there anything in there that would seize while it sat?

thanks...

Last edited by dfarrales; 08-02-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 AM

alignment shop called and all seems fine w/ the pulling issue.

regarding the A/C... they (firestone, where i have lifetime alignment) say the compressor is out. gave me a quote of 1100 to do the rg134 retrofit w/ a new compressor. w/out the retrofit (using the old freon type), about 800.

i checked goodyear where i got my a/c recharged last year and they quoted me 900 for new compressor (includes flushing, new vacuum and other stuff i can't recall) and additional $60 for the rg134 retrofit.

this sound right? i live in sacramento and never dealt w/ having to get new a/c compressor before. i don't really have a G laying around to spend but i also lug around a 6 yr old on 1 yr old a lot and with the 100+ degree weather still coming up...

how long have you all had your ac compressors last? my truck is 15+ yrs old and just over 150K. just before the truck went down in March, the AC was running like a champ.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:48 AM

with out a set of manifold gauges its gonna be pretty hard to diagnose a bad compressor. is the compressor spinning at all when you turn the a/c on? if it is, and its not blowing cold, 3 things come to mind. 1. your heater valve is not closed all the way letting hot coolant to flow into the cab. 2. you are low on freon. 3. your compressor is bad.

if the compressor is not spinning when you turn your a/c on...1. you are too low on freon for it to even kick in. 2. compressor clutch is bad (check this with a test light - should have power when a/c is turned on and truck is running) post some more info for me and i will be glad to help. in the mean time - you may want to get a second opinion, unless you really trust these guys. if it was truely blowing cold the last time you used it, i have a hard time believing the compressor is shot. i do think that is a little steep for a compressor also, i think new w/clutch (good aftermarket) would be $400, but i havent really gone shopping for one for a toyota....if you do need a new compressor i would definetly switch to r-134a.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:02 PM

I have an r-134a compressor for sale.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f107...ressor-121332/
Old 08-04-2007, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by ssupercoolss
with out a set of manifold gauges its gonna be pretty hard to diagnose a bad compressor. is the compressor spinning at all when you turn the a/c on? if it is, and its not blowing cold, 3 things come to mind. 1. your heater valve is not closed all the way letting hot coolant to flow into the cab. 2. you are low on freon. 3. your compressor is bad.

if the compressor is not spinning when you turn your a/c on...1. you are too low on freon for it to even kick in. 2. compressor clutch is bad (check this with a test light - should have power when a/c is turned on and truck is running) post some more info for me and i will be glad to help. in the mean time - you may want to get a second opinion, unless you really trust these guys. if it was truely blowing cold the last time you used it, i have a hard time believing the compressor is shot. i do think that is a little steep for a compressor also, i think new w/clutch (good aftermarket) would be $400, but i havent really gone shopping for one for a toyota....if you do need a new compressor i would definetly switch to r-134a.
the exact wording they used on the quote was "compressor not functioning properly".

i'll need to pull out my toyota manual and dig into this a bit more. i've never dealt w/ tinkering w/ the ac. i had it recharged just over a year ago and they detected NO leaks. and, yeah, the ac was blowing cold air like a champ before my truck went down in March. 5 months after sitting in my garage, it's no longer cooperating. this is why i also have a hard time believing it's shot.

i do plan on getting a second opinion. the firestone guys are normally just used for my alignments since i have the lifetime deal with them. i just had them look at the ac since it was there.

Kaleb: if i find i need a new compressor i may be contacting you soon... thks.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How are they charging more for a R134A system, when R12 is so much more expensive than R134A. Retrofitting is not labor intensive at all.

The pull while braking leads me to think you have a bad/sticking caliper.