YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   91 pickup 22RE oil pan gasket? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/91-pickup-22re-oil-pan-gasket-305337/)

Timothy Belanger 08-12-2018 12:25 PM

91 pickup 22RE oil pan gasket?

hello all, I’m new to this website. This weekend I started the project to remove my oil pan & replace oil pan gasket( it was leaking) .. I dropped my front diff, removed the shock looking bar, dropped oil pan , had to remove pickup tube in order to pull the pan out.. (the baffle inside pan hits the oil pickup tube) 4 bolts. Anyway I got it all clean, applied ultra black bead around the pan, put it back up carefully without smearing it on anything and then realized my forearm is going to get in the silicone while bolting pickup tube back up, and I tried it as carefully as I can and it just pissed me off so badly I smeared it all over my arm, the back side of the pan where it has to pivot while my arm is in there so I got mad and pulled it back out recleaned it, and I had no idea what that circular baffle tray mounted in my pan was for(thought it was to keep make guides from clogging the screen if u snapped them) so I cut it out and it went back in soooo much easier, but now I’m scared cause I read it keeps the oil calm while I drive around corners so it doesn’t slosh around and cause air to suck in so now it’s just sitting all put back together havnt put oil in it yet, should I get a new pan ?? It’s 55$ on eBay no biggie ...yes I’m new to the oil pan scenario but does anyone have any recommendations on how to do this easier?!! I don’t see how I can make this work unless I use a cork gasket and lay it in place after I bolt the pickup tube up. My nissan Hardbody was a pita but it didn’t have a Windage tray in it! Help pls 😕

Co_94_PU 08-12-2018 07:13 PM

If you can get your hand in there to reattach the pickup odds are you can get the gasket goo tube in there after you out the pickup back in.. Savy?

scope103 08-12-2018 07:17 PM

I haven't done this, but I always use nitrile gloves to protect my dainty hands. If you stick the tube in there like Co-94_PU suggests, it might be wise to run your gloved finger on it to assure you haven't left any gaps you can't see. Then immediately switch gloves (they're cheaper than dirt) so you don't get it on your tools, your clothes, your arm ...

Timothy Belanger 08-12-2018 07:27 PM

Maybe! My new oil pan will be here this week and I’ll disassemble everything and hold it up and bolt pickup back in and see how much clearance I have, I also ordered some permatex right stuff” I shouldn’t have cut the baffle out of the pan surrounding where the pickup tube goes but didn’t realize if it was nessecary or not lol I was angry! I see some people use cork gaskets but my pan has small grooves I guess to hold gasket maker silicone

gsp4life 08-13-2018 07:22 AM

The earlier versions of 22r engine (pre-84 I think) used cork gaskets but they didn't have that groove in the lip of the oil pan. If you use cork (or any other material) gasket, it will leak even with rtv smeared on both sides. My old mechanic tried this method but I fixed it with a tube of fipg.

Sorry but I have no good advice for how to reseal the pan on your ifs truck, the solid axle makes this job so much easier.

Timothy Belanger 08-13-2018 07:36 AM

Yeah I’m glad I can drop the front diff instead of jacking up the motor lol, just didn’t know if anyone was able to get their pan on with pickup already attached!

Co_94_PU 08-15-2018 10:35 AM

Question

Did you drop the diff off the cross member, or drop the cross member and differential as a unit?

The first gives you an inch or so extra at the front if you pull the diff pivot bolt.

The second gives about six to four inches.

Timothy Belanger 08-18-2018 01:55 PM

So guys, I made a video on YouTube just now, and guess what? U can leave ur pickup tube attached!!!

Co_94_PU 08-19-2018 06:38 AM

F bomb at 4:28 :nono:

​​​​​​