YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   91 4runner manual transmission out of gear but stuck (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/91-4runner-manual-transmission-out-gear-but-stuck-307223/)

HarleyMH 03-13-2019 05:46 AM

91 4runner manual transmission out of gear but stuck

I have a 91 4runner that had a 3.0 in it (swapping to a 3.4) with a manual transmission. I put all new clutch hardware in before I bolted it all up. My problem now is that with the transmission out of gear I can turn the motor over by hand and move the whole rig. Shift the transfercase into neutral and only the motor and transmission spin. What would cause the transmission to be locked up in and out of gear?

COMTB 03-13-2019 06:17 AM

What transmission? 91 5speed I'm leaning towards the R150F

The clutch not working correctly would be my first check? Did you bleed it and make sure there's no air in it? Is the master working correctly? Start simple before taking it apart. Did you have the trans out? Are all the linkages attached and line up correctly?

Some more details would help.

HarleyMH 03-13-2019 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by COMTB (Post 52420288)
What transmission? 91 5speed I'm leaning towards the R150F

The clutch not working correctly would be my first check? Did you bleed it and make sure there's no air in it? Is the master working correctly? Start simple before taking it apart. Did you have the trans out? Are all the linkages attached and line up correctly?

Some more details would help.

R150F I took it out after taking the 3.0 out. Put it back in with the new clutch. i bled the clutch and it all works as it should. Links should all be good. I didn't mess with anything accept replacing the clutch components. I just can't figure out why it would lock up. I can shift it in and out of gear but it doesn't change.

akwheeler 03-13-2019 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by HarleyMH (Post 52420289)
R150F I took it out after taking the 3.0 out. Put it back in with the new clutch. i bled the clutch and it all works as it should. Links should all be good. I didn't mess with anything accept replacing the clutch components. I just can't figure out why it would lock up. I can shift it in and out of gear but it doesn't change.

Sounds like you didn't get the shifter back in right, like it's always in gear, can you shift into EVERY gear with the engine off?

HarleyMH 03-13-2019 06:52 AM

I just tested switching gears. Didn't want to go all the way into a couple years. Took it out of gear n "wiggled" the shifter. Now it works fine. . .

akwheeler 03-13-2019 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by HarleyMH (Post 52420294)
I just tested switching gears. Didn't want to go all the way into a couple years. Took it out of gear n "wiggled" the shifter. Now it works fine. . .

I except cash or trade, that'll be $49.95, have a nice day! LOL

scope103 03-13-2019 08:15 AM

Well, you might want to go through all of the gears, under load, carefully. You PROBABLY just "wiggled" it back into the right slot and you're all set.

Or, something was mis-assembled, and your wiggling hasn't actually fixed it.

akwheeler 03-13-2019 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by scope103 (Post 52420302)
Well, you might want to go through all of the gears, under load, carefully. You PROBABLY just "wiggled" it back into the right slot and you're all set.

Or, something was mis-assembled, and your wiggling hasn't actually fixed it.

I think it was in gear when the shifter was removed and then the shifter was reinstalled in neutral so the forks were still engaged for one gear, how wiggling it go it realigned I don't know, I was suspecting that the shifter would have to come back out and reinstalled with the end in the correct slot or the forks manually moved to neutral and then reinstall the shifter.