86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'90 22RE p/u 2&3 cyl not firing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'90 22RE issues **NEW UPDATE 3/18/12 PLEASE HELP**

New update in post #11

Heres the short;

1990 22re, fresh injectors and timing chain. One day on my way home form work it started running rough, next day ran great for about an hour. Then it started running like it was on 2 cylinders. I replaced cap, rotor, wires and plugs. Injectors were done about 200 miles ago as well as fuel filter.

Truck will start and idle but very very rough. I can pull both plug wires to #2 and 3 cylinders with no affect to idle as well as the wires going to those 2 injectors. I checked my computer (works great) check the 3 wire ground for the injectors at the rear of the upper to lower plenum bolt (all look good.)

Performed a compression test thinking the headgasket may have popped between those 2 cylinders, but its all good with no leakage.

#1 - 181
#2 - 174
#3 - 175
#4 - 179

I do not have a noid light to check the injectors and have not checked the ohm's on the injectors yet but will try to tonight.

Im at an absolute loss right now as to what it could be. My only guess is maybe the distributor is damaged or maybe the ignitor. But im also getting spark all the way through all wires.

HELP!

Last edited by ogjohnboy; 03-19-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: new problem new title
Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
swap #1 and #2 injector wires,see if #2 will fire.its probably your injector wire in your harness.mine did the same exact thing and one of my wires in the harness was corroded from the inside,when i bent it it snapped in half and was crunchy and black.spliced in a new section,bam!!! these 22res batch fire...two at a time.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 PM

Ill definitely try that. This problem has me completely stumped as well as a few friends that know way more than me about toyotas. i think ill tear apart the wiring harness for the injectors this weekend in hopes of finding a broken wire or 2.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 PM

Are you sure a ground didnt come loose? Also what bout the coul pack are you sure the lead wire going to dist didnt wiggle loose?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:33 PM

i checked the grounds for the injectors where its bolted to the plenum. Ill check the ground on the back of the head as well as by the motor mount. And as far as the the coil i didnt think to check those wires. ill look at that in the morning. wold be great if that was it
Old 02-22-2012, 05:12 PM

did you find the problem???
Old 02-22-2012, 06:33 PM

Yeah I pulled all the injectors and #2 and #3 were completely plugged up. So I bought 4 new ones and the truck runs like a champ!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM

Awesome!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 PM

yeah it was a huge relief. I spent about 4-5 hours saturday tearing apart the harness for the injectors and meticulously inspecting them for any sort of damage. After that and then reassembling the intake hoping for it to run right it was a huge downer when it didnt change.

I then tried to "steam clean" the injectors by putting a little water down the vacuum line that goes from the brake booster to the intake but that didnt produce any positive results.

It was then that i decided to pull the injectors and take a look. glad i did because #1 had a little buildup, #2 and #3 were plugged solid, #4 had a little more than #1 but not as bad as 2 or 3. So i went down to my local little auto parts store, picked up 4 new injectors at $42 a pop and a new fuel filter ($34 bucks!.)

spent the next hour or so installing and reassembling AGAIN as well as cleaning a few things. Also took the opportunity to tighten my apparently loose starter

Then the moment came to start it again, i nervously turned the key and was happier than ever to hear it start and run perfectly!

So to everyone that offered advice and possible issues to address, i thank you. Glad i have such a place to come to for my woes and will do my best to offer what knowledge ive acquired as so that i can help others.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 AM

Well hate yo hear it wasnt a cheap fix but atleast you stopped a bigger problem before it started!!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:37 PM

more 22re issues! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH

**NEW UPDATE**

So again my truck has chosen to go on strike.

The truck has been running like a champ since i replaced the injectors and what not, then one day it decided to crap out. I was driving around town and then was heading home, turned a corner and went to accelerate and the truck just fell on its face.

So i pulled over to the side of the road expecting the truck to die but amazingly enough it was idling perfect! So i went to take off but as soon as i went past 1/4 throttle it seemed to act like it was choking out (but its not carb'd) but as soon as i left off the throttle it idled fine.

So i limped it home, luckily i was only a few blocks away. Checked the TPS connection, MAFS connection and other ignition stuff. Thought i had it figured out so i wanted to go for a test drive but couldnt even back out the driveway. Seems to be that the issue is apparent only when the motor warms up to the point the thermostat opens. I did a drive around the block when the idle kicked down and it drove great but then it started acting up again.

Did some research on possible causes but figured i would ask the experts for some advice.

HELP!!!!

Last edited by ogjohnboy; 03-19-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 PM

Threads merged

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 03-19-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 AM

Hmm seems i cant have multiple threads so these got merged.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 AM

So in the morning (roughly a few hours away ) Im going to replace the water temp sensor and also clean the auxillary air valve on the throttle body hoping that is the issue. I forgot to bring my multi-meter home from work to test the TPS but im fairly certain thats not the issue since it idles perfect and throttle response is great until its fully warmed up.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 PM

Hey wondering if u got it fixed had the same problem with my 87 runner rebuilt the motor started it ran great for a couple of days then started missing and didn't run good after it got warm. So I replaced the injectors and it still had the same problem after tearing it back apart I found that my number 3 injector wire had fallen off because the connector had broke wired it back on and put the motor back together started it and it was still missing this time I replaced cap rotor wires plugs fuel filter coil TPS and the mass airflow sensor but still it had the same problem. So I dug deeper and thought I would check my valves rockets and cam turned out that I had used so bad rocker arms and the had worn down 3 lobes on the cam I threw some new rockers and cam in that I had laying around in it fired it up and it purred like a kitten haven't had a problem since. Best of luck to you
Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 AM

No i havent even had a chance to work on it yet. Been too busy with work. I dont think its my cam considering it still idles perfect and is acting like its choking out when given throttle.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:43 PM

Update? I am having a similar problem, do you think your fuel filter is clogged?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:55 AM

oops forgot to update this. truck is running agin but im not entirely sure what i did. I had checked all my sensors to no avail, checked the ignition relay by the glove box as well as resetting my ecu. after all that the truck ran great.

What i think it was though is theres alot of debris in my tank. The truck apparently sat for a couple years before i got it and that would explain the clogged up injectors. So i think what happened is the pickup in the tank started plugging up but when i let it sit it all fell out.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:42 PM

Right on, thank you for the update!

May have the same deal here...
Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 AM

Unhappy Same with my CARB 22R (1987)

Mine has same issue, #2 and #3 not hitting at idle, spark getting there but no change when I pull plug wires. Runs great off idle. HELP. History; new rebuild, ran fine up untill recently. STUMPED! #1 and #4 hit good at idle and when wire pulled engine dies.

Quick Reply: '90 22RE p/u 2&3 cyl not firing