Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 Pickup Fuel Tank/Sending Unit/Pump Hanger Leak

Old 02-21-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 89 Pickup Fuel Tank/Sending Unit/Pump Hanger Leak

I have a fuel leak. I took it to a shop; they told me it's leaking from 'one of the three pipes coming out of the top of the tank'. Looking at aprts diagrams, it looks like it's the 'mount bracket' (https://toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth....E1MjE1NCZyPTEz). This is based on their description, I haven't seen the leaky spot myself yet.

I've got all but two bolts out (one at either end to keep it from falling). Before I pull those last two, what do I need to undo so I don't break anything?

Since the OEM mount bracket is discontinued, is there an aftermarket that you guys know of? I'm hoping its not a fortune to fix.

If it's not practical to get a replacement, would QuikSteel (http://bluemagicusa.com/index.php/bl.../products/179/) work? I was thinking to clean up the pipe, rough the pipe up, and wrap the putty around.

This is all assuming that the leak is where their description makes me think it is.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
there are ebay sellers offering oem new ones for many of these era toyotas. i'd search there and compare to the one in your truck.

wally
Old 02-21-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
You won't likely have an access panel, no rear seats
you will have to disconnect the lines and wires, depending on your paw size there is plenty of room or you'll have to lower it some first.

Once you have eyes on it you can decide on a repair or replacement. Avoid a goo solution if you can.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so...
tl;dr: What information do I need to find the right fuel line? In the image below the fuel line would attach to the threaded union. Without tracing the existing line, where would the line go? I don't want to get it wrong, and I'm sure someone knows from experience.

Long time since I updated this. I dropped the tank (only sheared one bolt and snapped one captive nut out of its weld). I finally got the bracket. It took a while because there are a couple versions of the bracket, and I kept finding the wrong one.

This is the model I needed: 23206-35121 picture from http://www.ebay.com/itm/151826378384

The leak was in the curve of the pipe with the threaded union.Trying to separate the parts of the union, the pipe broke (it seems to have been mostly rust), leaving the parts of the union intact and attached to the truck side of everything. I eventually got the union apart, but not without having to cut the line. Now, I can't get the union back into the line without shredding the line (looks like plastic sheathed in rubber). I could theoretically add some line, but that leads to the same issue as putting the union back in.

Search this Thread