Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 22RE Stalls at lights ... problems seen no solutions verified

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 22RE Stalls at lights ... problems seen no solutions verified

The forum has been helpful in posting possible issue and assume by the number of threads this is a problem. The only solutions that have been posted were turning in the idle screw ... which I assume is the throttle stop ... but the ones who did post later say it did not work.

What happens is at idle when the truck is warmed up ... it stalls, doesn't matter if braking or not ... it just dies and there is a clicking on the passenger side. VERY COMMON PROBLEM.

I have seen replace ignition control unit, adjust or replace the the TPS, head gasket leak, problems with MAF, vacuum issues and just an adjustment out of whack.

I will say there is a huge crack in the exhaust AND i lose coolant ... but it drips also and the oil is clean ... so I don't think it's a head gasket.

Any suggestions FROM THOSE who have experienced this problem and fixed it.

thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM

I read somewhere here that a guy was having some idle issues, and at a light, would occasionally stall out. He said his problem was that he was low on coolant and he topped it off and problem solved. I'm sure you're not as dumb as this sentence may accuse you of being but have you been topping off your radiator and overflow reservoir when you loose coolant?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
I read somewhere here that a guy was having some idle issues, and at a light, would occasionally stall out. He said his problem was that he was low on coolant and he topped it off and problem solved. I'm sure you're not as dumb as this sentence may accuse you of being but have you been topping off your radiator and overflow reservoir when you loose coolant?
Yes sir ... would not have an engine otherwise ... no difference either way
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 AM

Turned the idle screw out ... it was all the way in! I thought things "vibrated loose" not tight. Either way 1 3/4 turns out and it seems to be ok. Will post more if things change.What I am calling the "idle screw" is a large flat head near the front of the throttle/intake on the top.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM

Most of the time the o-ring that is on the idle screw is old and crunchy and allows it to turn from normal vibration. You can replace the o-ring and it keeps it from turning (in or out) on it's own.

It's the same o-ring that is used on the fuel injector (the side that slips into the fuel rail). Just put a drop of oil on it before you thread it in, it'll keep it from tearing the o-ring when you thread it in.

Enjoy.

Originally Posted by cvs334
Turned the idle screw out ... it was all the way in! I thought things "vibrated loose" not tight. Either way 1 3/4 turns out and it seems to be ok. Will post more if things change.What I am calling the "idle screw" is a large flat head near the front of the throttle/intake on the top.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 AM

I had exact same prob. Turns out the timing guide broke and the timing belt skipped forcing it to die at stop signs when it was warmed up.