Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

89 22re PICS almost done!

Old 12-18-2007, 04:15 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 22re PICS almost done!

Name:  Assembledfrontendwmotormountbracket.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  83.2 KB
Name:  FuelRailwithCleanedInjectors.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  66.3 KB
Name:  Completetopendminusvacuumlines.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  93.7 KB
Name:  22restraightshot.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  105.9 KB
Name:  22re-90complete.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  121.1 KB
Name:  LittleJstoyagain.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  91.3 KB
Old 12-18-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NICE! Congratulations, I'll be there soon as well.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:22 PM

wow!!! nice job!!! paid ATtention to detail ahh?? looks awesome..
Old 12-18-2007, 05:25 PM

is that chevy orange on the valve cover??? this is a ultimate yota???/
Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
thanks alot! Yes it is Chevy Orange, unbenouced to me the paint was supposed to me more redish, however, it came out nice and bright orange, so goes to the politically correct "japanese-american" version of the 22re.

I do have a couple q's though for you yota tech professionals, TN hasnt been got me an answer as of yet, but here we go, lets see what we can get here -

1. fuel filter q - where does the front fuel line end up going? It has the banjo end that connects to the front of the filter, then there is the line with a metal tube (about 4 inches with a threaded coupling on it) and a flare end and I cant figure out where it goes. I have the line to rear figured out, but where does the front go?

2. water bypass - the two hoses off of this? does on go to the 3/8's(?) outlet on the throttle body or somewhere else?

Any help would be greacioulsy appreciated! MERRY CHRISTMAS FOLKS!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:26 PM

repaint your oil fill cap.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your fuel line goes to the fuel rail, at the end where the pulse damper is attached. use fresh crush washers.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:46 PM

I am going to def get a new 710 cap, or oil cap for non blondes. I dont know why i kept it in there in the first place, you might see some keystone light cans in the background, that could have been the reason for painting over it.

misterzee - i know where the fuel line comes up from the fire wall, there is a fuel line hose that goes from the line to the FPR, but the line coming out of the front of the fuel filter has an end on it like it has some type of compression fitting to another line, which wouldnt allow it to feed into the FPR. I will take some pics this weekend and repost so you can see what i mean.

I am fueled up on Keystone again, so I am thankful for the advice here.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:53 PM

Yeah, definitely get new crush rings, and make sure you don't double 'em up, and make sure you have a ring on both sides of the fuel line. I speak from experience.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:12 PM

I have the new crush rings from when i bought the fuel filter, it came with 4 new ones for the in/out lines. My q is the line coming off the front of the fuel filter facing the front of the truck has some odd end that looks like is it supposed to be fitted with another line somewhere.

I dont know where the line is. I might just have to get under it and look and feel. Here are somemore visuals.

Name:  PowerSteeringPumpInstalled.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  109.2 KB
Name:  Gametime.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  90.0 KB
Name:  22re-topview-withvaclinesandairinta.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  117.0 KB
Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 PM

I still need some help on the water bypass, so if anyone has any input let me know.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 89whitetoyota
I still need some help on the water bypass, so if anyone has any input let me know.
Did you figure out your fuel line issue?
What questions do you have about water bypass?
I just realized, we have the same truck! I just got an 89... just started working on it. :-)
Old 12-19-2007, 04:57 AM

I need to know where the two hoses go that are attached to the bypass. One looks like it should go to an inlet on the throttle body, and the other one i am lost at where it goes.

This is the first motor I have ever taken apart and cleaned up. I used engnbldr parts for all of it, and was very pleased with quality and service, so use him for your rebuild.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:59 AM

As far as the fuel issue, I am going to snap some more digitals this weekend, and post them so people can see what I am talking about. I will also take some additional pics and throw them up here.

Its always nice to have a thread loaded with stunning eye candy!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 PM

WOO HOO i got the fuel line and water bypass all fixed up real nice like. does the motor look ok?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:31 PM

A few more visuals. I see like 300 hundo have looked at this thread, does anyone find it remotely helpful, if not I will quit getting krunked and posting eye candy.
Name:  heaterpipesdoneinhighheatcastironpa.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  67.5 KB
Name:  distribpaintedandPSbrackets.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  73.9 KB
Name:  NewClutchDisk-PreasurePlateandThrow.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  58.2 KB
Name:  FanandAltbelt-new.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  71.9 KB
Name:  YotaInterior3.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  130.6 KB
Old 12-22-2007, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can never post too many pics, this forum thrives on pics.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:31 AM

Your fuel question, maybe these will help.

There is a hose that comes up from the fuel filter to the front of the fuel rail. Uses the two big banjo bolts, comes from the back of the fuel filter, snakes up by the PAIR reed valve, through the middle of the intake between #2 and #3 and connects on the bottom of the fuel rail near the throttle body.

There is a little hard pipe that come up from the middle of the fuel rail to the cold start injector. Two smaller banjo bolts. In the second picture you can see the pipe, but I don't have the cold start injector installed in the air plenum yet (the part that says EFI). On the fuel rail, it connects on top, just in front of the rearmost mounting bolt between the #3 and #4 injectors.

The fuel pressure regulator is at the firewall side of the fuel rail. It has a vacuum line coming from it. It also has a bigger connection that is a return to the gas tank.

So you should have two lines coming from the firewall. One is the main supply one that goes to the front of the fuel filter. The other is a return line from the fuel rail, that comes from the big port on the regulator.
Attached Thumbnails 89 22re PICS almost done!-img_0930.jpg   89 22re PICS almost done!-img_0917.jpg   89 22re PICS almost done!-img_0915.jpg  
Old 12-22-2007, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by 89whitetoyota
The water bypasses.

There's a big 'U' shaped on that connects the pipe coming out of the passenger's side of the timing cover, behind the water pump to the under side of the intake.

There are two hoses that connect to the throttle body. I don't have good post rebuild pictures, so nasty pre-rebuild will have to do. One of them comes from the little pipe that the big intake/water pump bypass came off. This one is pretty simple, two bends and comes into the AAV under the throttle body up and down.

The other TB hose comes from the stub to the side of the thermostat housing. That one has a bunch of bends in it. I left the crop sort of big so you can see the location relative to the hidden Allen head bolt on the intake (which you definitely know about now that you've rebuilt an engine!). That hose twists and turns, under the throttle position sensor, down the front of the intake, all over and comes into the under side of the TB sideways from the engine side.
Attached Thumbnails 89 22re PICS almost done!-img_0930_1.jpg   89 22re PICS almost done!-img_0705.jpg   89 22re PICS almost done!-img_0706.jpg  

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 12-22-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:09 AM

I hear ya on the eye candy. Nice work on rebuilding your engine!

FWIW, the 22R-E rebuild I did last winter, I went with much more boring colors compared to yours. I tried to do some polished and brushed aluminum look and some dull medium grey on the intake and most of the accessories. I spent a lot of time with a wire wheel on my bench grinder working on the valve cover and various parts. The steel things I mostly painted the grey to keep it from rusting. The oil pan is Ford blue, like an old Mustang or Falcon. Can't really see it with the engine installed or anything, but it looked cool with it on the stand. It was too bad I had to bolt on all the EFI and emissions stuff, the bare long block with the black block, blue pan and shiny head and valve cover looked really clean. But when I finished assembling all the stuff on the outside, it looked so cluttered. I'm thinking that blue vacuum lines would be cool.

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 12-22-2007 at 06:10 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 22re PICS almost done!