86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 Toyota 22RE - metallic 'ringing' sound at rpm/load

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 Toyota 22RE - metallic 'ringing' sound at rpm/load

I'm getting a pronounced 'ringing' sounds for the lack of a more descriptive word, in my '88 4Runner starting at 4300+rpm. It only does it under load but can't reproduce it when parked. It almost sounds like belt slipping but a little harsher and more well 'metallic' sounding. (original belts were replaced a couple years ago w/ new Gates)

It's a 5 speed - has about 140K miles, timing chain replaced about 25k miles ago, generally kept in a good state of tune. I've tried it w/ the AC off and on and no affect. Alt is original.

Water pump is original. I can feel a slight (and I do mean slight) movement in the fan - not sure if that could be the cause or if it's from the fan clutch or the water pump shaft. Bottom line is that maybe nothing - not sure.

Any suggestions on where to start?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ping?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:35 PM

I really wouldn't think so. Usually that's a bit of a 'clattering' sound and under part throttle at cruise - say 50mph in 4th of 5th loafing up a mild hilll. This occurs at 4300rpm and above under load regardless of WOT or 1/2 open throttle etc...

I'm more concerned about serious internals like bearings, cam, valve spring...

Or maybe just a water pump...? Looking for possible culprits...

But in could indeed be pinging.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pgtr
I'm getting a pronounced 'ringing' sounds for the lack of a more descriptive word, in my '88 4Runner starting at 4300+rpm. It only does it under load but can't reproduce it when parked. It almost sounds like belt slipping but a little harsher and more well 'metallic' sounding. (original belts were replaced a couple years ago w/ new Gates)

It's a 5 speed - has about 140K miles, timing chain replaced about 25k miles ago, generally kept in a good state of tune. I've tried it w/ the AC off and on and no affect. Alt is original.

Water pump is original. I can feel a slight (and I do mean slight) movement in the fan - not sure if that could be the cause or if it's from the fan clutch or the water pump shaft. Bottom line is that maybe nothing - not sure.

Any suggestions on where to start?
Water pump shaft has zip to do with the fan shaft; they are separate units--IF we are talking 3.0. Is this a 3.0 or 22RE?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:28 PM

pgtr, I'm wondering the exact same thing you are. My 88 22re does the exact same thing, and I can't explain it any better than you can.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:32 PM

As stated in the subject line - It is a 1988 22RE (not a 3.0).

The water pump shaft and water pump shaft have a bit more than zip to do with each other since they are essentially the same thing or at least connected. Sloppy bearings in the water pump would exacerbate movement in the fan shaft and fan itself.

---

After driving for about an hour and upon returning home with the engine thoroughly warmed I was able to duplicate the sound in the driveway. Problem was that it was so dang loud and I have to push the RPMS up so high (4300ish) that I couldn't localize it any better.

That metallic 'ringing' sound is VERY loud and pronounced w/ the hood open.

I'm going to try and listen again but w/ the fan removed and maybe even some belts and see if I can better localize it w/ my stethescope.

My worst fear is that it could be something serious down in the engine like a bearing or valve or a problem w/ the rings or something...? What would the symptoms of something like that be?

Just a thought it could also be a bearing on one of the accessories or even a tensioner - again I'm going to try yanking some stuff off the front end like the belts and/or fan and see if that has any affect (after it's warmed up and I can duplicate the problem)

Oh and just for kicks I went ahead and put in super unleaded - no affect. Again this does not sound at all like pinging or detonation.

thx
Old 03-25-2007, 12:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Check the heat shield on the exhaust. If a bolt is broken or loose it can cause a bad sounding vibration over 4000 RPMs. When my power steering idler pulley bearing went out it made a mettalic noise that sounded kind of like a slipping belt. Take off the power steering belt and spin the ilder pulley to see if it is louder than it should be.