YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   '88 PU door adjust instructions? Wind whistle. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/88-pu-door-adjust-instructions-wind-whistle-306664/)

jamesqf 01-06-2019 09:24 PM

'88 PU door adjust instructions? Wind whistle.

A few weeks ago I had to have my pickup towed out of the mountains. (Ran over a big stick and shorted out fuel pump wire - of course it had to happen ~10 miles from anywhere I could get cell service :-)) Ever since then I get a very loud whistle from the upper part of the driver's side door at anything close to highway speeds. (And REALLY loud in a 50+ mph head/cross wind.)

First thought is that picking it up by the rear wheels and hauling it backwards somehow tweeked the body* just enough to move the doors out of alignment. I have the shop manual, but I can't find anything in it about how to adjust door positioning. Could anyone recommend a source, offer advice, or even alternate suggestions on what could be causing the whistle?

*Though it's odd that e.g. driving on rough logging roads with a bed full of firewood never bothered it at all.

ev13wt 01-07-2019 01:22 AM

Is the little rubber "trim / gasket" piece still intact? Where the window slides into the door jamb? They like to break at the rear window corner.

You new noise is most certainly not related to your tow.

RAD4Runner 01-07-2019 02:19 AM

+1 on the weatherstripping^^^
Mine's a little flat as well, and the left side door doesn't close as tightly as the right side one. I slotted the door strike mounting hole (using a file) so it moved more inboard.
You may also notice that on newer vehicles, there is a seal on the door and another on the door frame. I'm researching bulb-type seal that I can stick on to the door frame.

Facebook Post

old87yota 01-07-2019 09:16 AM

My truck whistles if the windows are not completely and tightly rolled up. The weatherstripping that goes around the top and sides of the window is not as pliable as it used to be on my truck so it won't seal completely until the window is tight against the top of the seal. One or two millimeters makes all the difference between having a whistle and not having one for my windows.

Have you confirmed that the whistle is coming from the door not sealing and not the window?

:safari:

jamesqf 01-07-2019 12:06 PM

Yes, it is the door, not the window. The whistle is basically the same with the window open, closed, or anywhere in between.

While I'm not sure of the cause, it just seems suspicious that it basically never* whistled before the tow, and now does pretty much continuously.

* Excluding gale-force crosswinds.

dropzone 01-07-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 52415401)
First thought is that picking it up by the rear wheels and hauling it backwards somehow tweeked the body* just enough to move the doors out of alignment.

If you feel this is the root cause you probably have bigger problems as a rusty weak frame. How corroded is your frame?
Or the rubber body bushing are shot and having the truck towed was enough to shift the body on the frame

you can adjust door alignment at the hinge and door striker like Rad4runner showed..gonna be trial and error

jamesqf 01-07-2019 01:17 PM

Not much corroded at all. I live in the Great Basin, so not a lot of salt on the roads. (I've owned it for 10+ years, and bought it locally. Originally a California model, going by the emissions control diagrams.) Bushings I don't know about, but I'd think the cab & doors would shift as a unit, no?

As I said, I'm surprised that towing could have caused this, but it seems like a big coincidence that the whistle should have showed up right after. While I don't do real off-roading, it does get driven on a lot of pretty rough dirt, and with pretty heavy loads in the bed. so I would think just towing would be less stress than it ordinarily experiences.

RAD4Runner 01-07-2019 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=dropzone;52415433]... like Rad4runner showed../QUOTE]
hah-hah. That video is actually of my strike as bottle opener :) but I just filed the holes into slots.

ev13wt 01-08-2019 05:24 AM

Did you check the door hinges / pins? Are they loose?