86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 4runner buildup. awesomeness

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 4runner buildup. awesomeness

Looking at the thread of then and now rigs I decided to make my own about just my rig...and do some then and now when I'm "done" (if that ever happens)

Background: Bought for $600 in April. 22re motor dissasembled out of truck. Truck had 249k miles on body, chassis, 70k on complete rebuilt motor. When the previous owner rebuilt the motor the first time, he didnt get the head redone, so it only lasted 70k, but he did put in new pistons, rings, everything. He also did put Rancho 5000 shocks on, new tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm. So I towed it home one night with my 95 4runner and a towbar...until the towbar bent the bumper, came off, and the truck that was being towed started to pass the truck doing the towing. Luckily, it was still attached with chains, and was able to stop at the Fire House and rethink. Ended up just pulling with chain the rest of the way home, short distance, but it was a fun ordeal.
Still at PO's house:

At my house. Interior was soaked in oil and cut up. Also, no engine, but frame and body were in excellent condition.

Last edited by wowza025; 05-07-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM

Next came the engine: New timing chain, oil pump, cam, gasket set from Engnbldr. Awesome people to do buisness with as well as good products. Got the head done at a local machine shop. Took about a week of working on it when I could. Hardest part was the timing, but using a FSM, even offline, and Yotatech got me through it! Could not have done it without either...Wish I took some pics of it apart, but I didnt.
Got a new clutch from Wabfab. Again, no pics.

Istalled engine. Played with timing for a couple days, finally got it running, now it runs great and clutch is great.

Engine in:

While I was waiting on parts to be shipped and head to be redone, I figured I would put new carpet it. I went to carpet supply store, got some auto carpet, and started measuring, and cutting. Didnt come out perfect, but it was my first time doing anything like this. Good enough for me, especially when it starts to get mud it in.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:06 PM

I put in an MP3 player from my brothers old car, but still have no speakers. They're gunna haveta wait til I get some more $$.

Next came paint. The front drivers side fender had the only rust spot, so I think I will just replace it (anyone have an extra?) The PO said he put magnets on the side of the truck, which chipped the paint over the years. He then attempted some horrible body work, which pretty much all had to be sanded off. There were also a lot of other scratches and dings that had to be sanded. So thats where I am now.

You can see what the tow bar did to the bumper here. Adds character

Had to put her in her as she waited while I sanded to play frisbee.

The paint should be here tomorrow. I went with the Interlux Brightside Flag Blue (dark dark blue, almost black) boat paint and am going to do the roll on method. Hoping to get to it this weekend, but first need to sand, and wet sand, and wet sand, and wet sand and wet sand. Then maybe wet sand again and I'll try the painting. I'll post pics as I progress. After paint comes bumpers, sliders, locker, tires........so on so on.

So far this has been a huge learning experience for me. The only other engine I have done anything with was my single cylinder dirtbike engine. The hours of research that was done for every part of everything I have done to the truck has been mostly on Yotatech....Thank you for all your help!