Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 truck...Carb to EFI swap..Few ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 truck...Carb to EFI swap..Few ???

i have searched and havent found awesome answers....

I know if you just run engine harness, says you have to splice into cab harness.......

Can i just run a cab harness for dash and stuff from donor 4runner i got everything else from and just be plug and play? So i can just plug and play cluster dash switches and all...instead of wiring...

I rather keep wiring more stock incase something happens in future.

Also can i just add a feed line off the line out of stock carb tank and run high pressure line to inline pump....I know you can run inline but just run a bigger line from stock nipple comin out of tank??

Any other info i might need, Thanks....I just really wanna answer on the harness from ecu that runs from fuse block to dash and stuff...

If i have to just use engine harness, what all needs to be wired to dash harness....?? write ups online are kinda sketchy.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF you're asking can you run the non-EFI harness in combination with the EFI engine harness, I don't know.. I have no idea if they'd integrate..
If you get the entire harness from the donor 4runner, that's best.

You can run a carb'd tank with an in-line high pressure pump, I've done it before. Some people say that there are issues with non-baffled carb'd tanks, but I didn't have any problems.

Most people who do an EFI swap do one of two things:
1) Pull it all from the donor in terms of dash and engine compartment (remember, there may be an 02 sensor that's part of the cab wiring)
2) Splice the EFI harness into the carb'd setup.. Not an easy job, vendor sell the harness cut down for $400-$500.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I havent dug into the wiring mess yet with my future conversion but I thought the EFI harness (that controls the injectors ..ecu etc) was separate completely? Then you have to wire into some of the guages on the dash

and something about a knock sensor and an O2 sensor.

could you elaborate on 'splicing into the carb'd setup' ?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:05 AM

but if i pull the dash out of the 4runner....I could just pull the dash harness that goes to ecu as well as the engine harness and just pull all mine out and most of it still plug and plug then?

also are the rear lights and fuel gauge and stuff a seperate harness from fuse block area and do i have to pull that and use that also...

one more thing, id imagine i would have to use the EFI fuse block also??? since prolly has other fuses related? Also same with fuse block in engine bay?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by drew303
I havent dug into the wiring mess yet with my future conversion but I thought the EFI harness (that controls the injectors ..ecu etc) was separate completely? Then you have to wire into some of the guages on the dash

and something about a knock sensor and an O2 sensor.

could you elaborate on 'splicing into the carb'd setup' ?
I think there is more to it than just bolting the EFI harness (engine side) to a carb'd harness. Off the top of my head, the wires for the 02 sensor are part of the cab wiring assembly, as they drop under the floor drivers side on 87-88. Fuel pump wiring is also different - that's cab..

The engine wiring harness is seperate... I don't think that's all that's required to do EFI.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:35 AM

Might check the pirate FAQ for carb-> EFI posts.. there is at least one write up on the web also.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:14 AM

checked there, dont really need that info.They talk about splicing 2 harness's together.I wanna run whole harness if i can,
Also just heard that taillight connector under seat are different style connectors? Are the wires same colors in both 4runner and trucks?
When in doubt ill just start running wires and makin it work

Last edited by yotanothing; 04-11-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 AM

If you want to run the entire harness, pull the entire harness. Otherwise you're going to splice. I know the Toyota ECU pretty well and may be able to tell you what is necessary. In terms of wire color and if they'll connect - I simply don't know.. You need to pull the FSM for the trucks you've got and look. Early trucks are easier than the 1988+ ones - after that, there were too many variations within the same year.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 AM

from what i see on pirate, the MAF and o2 sensor and a few other wires that run off the cab harness wouldnt be hard, I just got confused on the power and ground of the ecu and the fuse block wiring, like efi fuse and main relay wiring, If anyone has better explanation of that be super nice. Only reason i was gonna do full harness is cuz i was confused on the fuse block wiring and iwring to power the ecu and stuff.. Also on what to cut in the harness from ecu or what to cut in harness in truck....pirate is kinda a quick explanation of it and i havent caught on yet. I just cut the wires for say MAF from the ecu plug and wire straight from the ecu to the MAF (as example). Since prolly goes from ecu to cab harness on a efi and then to MAF
Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by yotanothing
from what i see on pirate, the MAF and o2 sensor and a few other wires that run off the cab harness wouldnt be hard, I just got confused on the power and ground of the ecu and the fuse block wiring, like efi fuse and main relay wiring, If anyone has better explanation of that be super nice. Only reason i was gonna do full harness is cuz i was confused on the fuse block wiring and iwring to power the ecu and stuff.. Also on what to cut in the harness from ecu or what to cut in harness in truck....pirate is kinda a quick explanation of it and i havent caught on yet. I just cut the wires for say MAF from the ecu plug and wire straight from the ecu to the MAF (as example). Since prolly goes from ecu to cab harness on a efi and then to MAF
MAF and O2 are required.
The complete 22RE ignition system - distributor & ignitor are required.
The EFI relay could be rigged, but basically the relay provides 12v power to fuel pump and injectors. Injectors are fired by the ECU grounding them.
Fuel pump is fired up via the MAF actually - a relay gets grounded when air flow is detected.
The other thing to watch out for is matching the ECU, injectors, and harness - most early 22re toyotas have a resistor box inline with the injectors to make sure that the injectors don't draw too much current.

I'm very familiar with the ECU and I'd consider splicing down the harness an ambitious project... Might see if you can ping someone who has actually done it - or one of the vendors that builds the "painless" version of the harness, assuming they'll share the secrets.

Depending on what your time is worth and how much experience you have, it might be better to buy a harness that's already cut down.

The other option that I'll throw out there is if you've got an engine that you can bolt EFI hardware up to (plenum & 02) - then you could use my favorite aftermarket EFI solution - megasquirt to control fuel. It'd work with your existing harness as an add-in and you could leave all the complicated timing control up to your stock 22R mechanical advance distributor. I have fuel maps for stock injectors and honestly the first time I did it (I had the EFI hardware installed) it took me about 2 hours to wire it in.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:13 PM

94 efi into 87 carb. will it work?

Originally Posted by dcg9381
If you want to run the entire harness, pull the entire harness. Otherwise you're going to splice. I know the Toyota ECU pretty well and may be able to tell you what is necessary. In terms of wire color and if they'll connect - I simply don't know.. You need to pull the FSM for the trucks you've got and look. Early trucks are easier than the 1988+ ones - after that, there were too many variations within the same year.
I have a 94 engine, wiring harness, and ecu. I want to put it into my 87 carb. And switch it to efi. Do you have any tips? Or know how hard it will be to connect the 2 together. i want to keep the cab harness.