Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 toyota pickup knock

Old 01-31-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 toyota pickup knock

Hi i have an 87 toyota and 4x4 pickup with a 22r that is making a knocking type noise that sounds like low oil pressure. This is the 3rd engine ive had in this truck and all of them have made this noise however i found out before i put this engine in that the dipstick read full of oil at 2.5 quarts. I figured that was the cause of the noise and the thrown rod on the last engine but im running 5 quarts in this one, new oil pump, rebuilt engine with less than 2k miles on it and i went through everything before i fired it up for the first time. Adjusted valves and torqued head at 500 miles. It does it at idle and occasionally through around 1500 rpms and is driving me insane i hate to see another 1600 bucks go down the toilet and any input would be appreciated thanks for your time.

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-05-2017 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Language
Old 02-01-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The fluid level discrepancy is likely due to an unprimed system, but you may have a too long stick, shorter oil tube, or crushed pan.

you must prime the engine before you let it fire by pulling your EFI fuse and bumping the starter several times. Also pour a quart of oil over the valves and cam before you put the valve cover on and then prime the system. This prevents a dry start which will certainly destroy bearings before you can blink.

You need to probe the engine with a stethoscope to find out a general location of the noise so you can get in there and inspect it. Probe along the oil pan and block junction(rod or main bearings), along both sides of the head to valve cover(intake or exhaust valves, or cam damage), and along the middle of the block(wrist pins).

If you find no obvious location there try listening along the fuel rail and make sure it's not just an injector firing.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, when i installed it i poured about 2 quarts directly over the top of the head and valves. The engine is carb with an rv cam new head and rebuilt bottom end and when i open the hood i can hear the noise on the top end and it sounds like it echoes through the exhaust. At full running temp it doesnt make a noise or when its cold but anytime between that it knocks mostly just at idle. I have my valves adjusted at 8 and 12. Sounds like it is coming from the valves over #4 cylinder. may try adjusting my valves slightly tighter.

Search this Thread