Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 toyota pick up.Wont start now.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 toyota pick up.Wont start now.

Ok guys. here we go.. my friend drives a 87 pick up 4wd as a DD. and he recently bought what he thinks is a 86 2wd. its EFI. anyways it ran when he got it.. it ran rough. but it drove well.. then he decided to run some seafoam to clean the engine.. he done 33% in the gas tank.. 33% through the vac line.. after he done that it slowly started to fall on its face. to the point where it wouldnt crank.. we can put carb cleaner straight in the intake and it will crank. but then slowly die.. so that tells me its a fuel problem.. the fuel pump is working and theres gas gettin to the filter its brand new.. but i dont think the injectors are pulsing.. any ideas guys ?

thank you!

Last edited by Akwhite21; 02-01-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:56 PM

For one, welcome to yotatech. 2.. is the check engine light on? 3.. did you do anything else to it. make sure the pump is coming on, do a compression test, ohm the injectors... to test-check for codes just search on here and you will find it, or or one of the fuel injection tech's will chime in soon. Hope you guys figure it out, and I have not heard of seafoam hurting anything yet and I've used alot of it. One more thing, it is getting fire right, but are you getting exhaust, clogged cat maybe.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 PM

i have checked the cat.. getting plenty of exhaust out the back. its getting fire.. the pump is coming on and its getting fuel past the filter. like i said i can crank it if i put a fuel source directly in the intake.. but then it dies.. it has thrown a code before he said. but then goes right back off.. i tried going threw the site to find exactly where to jump it to check the CEL but the info i seen was unclear.. i see the box under the hood but theres no diagram..