YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   87 Pickup-Hauling Questions (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/87-pickup-hauling-questions-186745/)

KentuckyMudder 07-16-2009 05:27 PM

87 Pickup-Hauling Questions

Okay, I've read through many of the threads regarding towing and such but I really haven't come across any regarding how heavy a load an 87 pickup 22re can actually haul in the bed. My boss asked me to post a thread on here to see what anyone thought about hauling a Toro Dingo (mini skid steer) actually in the bed of our truck. With the grapple attachment connected the unit weighs roughly 2500 lbs. This little beast of a truck had no problem hauling it on a 700 lb trailer. Several times with 300-400 lbs of logs in the bed as well. Always short trips(less than 5 miles), but 3-4 times a week for roughly 9 months. This truck had major lack of power issues (slow off the line, sluggish up hills) before we started hauling the Dingo. Always got the job done, even loaded on steep hills. A few weeks ago there was a timing chain and oil pump debacle that put the Yota out of commision. Both original with 206,000 miles. After a pretty thorough rebuild she's back in action and running beautifully. Like a new truck. :woo:
Does anyone think it's plausible (besides me) that the Yota will carry 2500 lbs in the bed? What kind of suspension upgrades might be necessary? Add-a-leaf? Other upgrades? (Besides an engine swap) Thanks!

myyota 07-16-2009 05:51 PM

Im sure its possible, but i wouldn`t recomend it, thats alot of weight for a toyota to handle.

tzonni 07-16-2009 06:19 PM

I've hauled just over 2000 pounds of roofing shingles in the bed of our old 92 2wd 22RE. It wasn't really that bad if you can take the butt-sag and constant bottoming out when you hit a bump. Ours was the family beater at the time till my brother bought it so we really didn't care too much about it. But if I had to do it regularly I'd hang on to the trailer.

fireman1559 07-16-2009 07:11 PM

2500 in the bed!?!?!?!?!?! wow thats a bit much for the bed of the truck now a trailer is one thing but the bed i wouldnt do that much and if you were going to do that i would invest in bigger beefed up leafsprings or helper springs cause i would be afarid of breaking my axle. for the motor side of it i wouldnt worry about the motor or tranny just take it easy on them and they will do just fine

spanish-road 07-16-2009 07:35 PM

um its called a ford f350, or a dodge 1200 or 1500 and not in the bed with a wheeled equipment in it, but in a trailer that is built to haul equipment. That is just straight up stupid. Now think of the braking distance with that weight? also the center of gravity, the weight on the frame, axles, and that thin steel thing you call a bed. It is beyond changing the springs but a matter of the very reason. IF I was you I would put the skid steer in the trailer, but you have logs in that and well 2500lbs of metal plus 2000-4000 lbs of wood that is beyond the trucks weight. In a normal towing one wants the rig to be as heavy or heaver then the trailer with the total weight.

wyoming9 07-17-2009 05:22 PM

if your going to drive this on the street the first law enforcement officer that sees this will call every body in the whole state to see this .

I would not do this with that truck get one that has at least a 9,000 pound GVW.

Pulling a trailer is different and you could get away with pulling something that heavy.

Been there done things like this when I was younger not anymore.

my 2 cents

abecedarian 07-18-2009 02:27 AM

Unless the Toy was rated 1 ton, it's a 1/2 ton. That means 1000 lbs in the bed, cab, etc. total... and even if it's a 1 ton 'yota, that's 2000 lbs, not 2500. And keep in mind the rating is total load: driver, tools, stuff, load in the bed.

Trailering is the best / safest option. Keep the trailer tongue weight no more than 10% of the trailer net weight and have either hydraulic or electric (with functioning brake controller and brake-away safety switch) brakes and you'll be fine even though you're technically exceeding the towing capacity of the truck too. IIRC, the 22re could technically tow 3000 lbs and the V6 / 1 ton could tow 4000. So the 750 for the trailer and 2500 for the tractor is what, 3250?

If you really are having trouble grasping this, get the GAWR off the door jamb then go weigh the truck with a full tank of gas and the heaviest person in the company driving it and figure it out yourselves. Don't mean to sound mean or anything but, do it right. Heck, how do you propose getting the equipment in / out of the bed? Ramps? Well, add the weight of the ramps too while you're at it.

Ezrider_92356 07-18-2009 06:13 AM

it could probably be done, you could probably throw an full floater rear end from an toy rv plus the leaf springs and be fine, however even if you do that you will still be considered overweight by law and if you get in an accident it can be considered your fault regardless of fault due to the fact that you are over loaded and your insurance company may decline to cover you as you are over weight.

KentuckyMudder 07-18-2009 01:23 PM

Actually just saw an 81 Dolphin RV for sale for fairly cheap on CL. The whole point of this thread is to get ideas, but the more I think about it the more paranoid I'm getting about law enforcement. I've been guilty of overloading trucks before, but those were F700's or Mack's. I'm pretty sure a Dingo in the bed of a little Yota might catch the eye of a DOT boy. We'll see what the boss says. I'd secretly still love to see it happen!

Flash319 07-18-2009 06:09 PM

I have no doubt that it will haul it with bigger springs (add a few leafs) but I found that the bigger problem with loaded Yotas is the brakes. I have crapped my pants going down a steep hill, loaded with wood (1500lb) and brakes faded bad. Not fun with no brakes.

Upgrade the front calipers to V6 and put some springs in. It will still be scary but could do it. I wouldn't though. IMHO.

KentuckyMudder 07-19-2009 05:05 AM

I've been hauling this loaded up trailer for awhile with no ABS and no trailer brakes. Can be nerve wracking, especially in the rain!:scared: Luckily it's very short trips! All of this would be much easier with our 09 Silverado 3500 HD, but that wouldn't be any fun, now would it?!?:)

spanish-road 07-19-2009 08:54 AM

yeah it would be a lot safer tho. You don't want to end up like this:
https://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f...03/2RLB020.jpg

KentuckyMudder 07-20-2009 03:35 AM

ouch!!

4wheel4real 07-20-2009 06:53 PM

add some air bags and it will be fine...will be slow as can be but should be alright...if you have an 4wd and manual hubs leave them unlocked and use 2wd low if you have to...if you pull this off i would love to see a pic...my 97 is rated at 1950 lbs in bed

Kiroshu 07-20-2009 07:10 PM

yea the hefty 22r i know can haul close to 3000lbs i've done it my runner a few times. some recent hauling in a trailer from moving too not to long ago. she can do it you just gotta believe in her just make sure your cooling system is good and go for it.

94svt50 07-20-2009 07:28 PM

Yesterday, I hauled 2000lb of concrete plus a generater, welder, o2 and acetylene tanks on my truck and it did fine. Probably, in the 2500lb range. It squated down a good bit, but still had plenty of suspension room left. The key is to get as much of the weight forward of the rear wheels. I do have a add a leaf and a steel flatbed.

abecedarian 07-20-2009 08:03 PM

That one has hauled X lbs once or twice and not had a problem does not mean that it's safe to do so all the time. Which or whatever mods done to the springs, etc. do NOT increase the legal load capacity of the truck.

Though one has an obligation to the company to do as much as possible with as little as possible, that does not give one the authority to jeapordize the safety of other people on the road.

Ezrider_92356 07-21-2009 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian (Post 51186948)
That one has hauled X lbs once or twice and not had a problem does not mean that it's safe to do so all the time. Which or whatever mods done to the springs, etc. do NOT increase the legal load capacity of the truck.

Though one has an obligation to the company to do as much as possible with as little as possible, that does not give one the authority to jeapordize the safety of other people on the road.

just the point i was trying to make in my post, when i was 16 i hauled an 18 foot car trailer with no trailer breaks with my toyota and a car loaded on the trailer, it pulled it but stopping was down right scary. i recently had an experience pulling 25k lbs for an short trip with my ford powerstroke on an 18k rated gooseneak trailer, the truck has massive breaks plus the trailer had good breaks stopping wasn't much of an issue nether was pulling it with the 7.3 powerstroke. however i was going 75mph (posted speed limit) and there was an small piece of wood in the freeway that i had no way to go completely around so i split it down the middle i heard it kick up and hit something under the truck did not really think anything of it till i went to pull off the freeway and my break pedal went to the floor. now had my trailer not been overloaded this wouldn't have been quite as bad as the trailer breaks would have been a lot more effective. well to make a long story short i had to swerve off the road to avoid rear ending an car and finally came to a stop after blowing threw an intersection and making it about halfway back up the freeway on ramp. the piece of wood that i had run over severed my rear break line. luckily no one was hurt nothing was even damaged other than an grassy area got tore up. it could have been real bad, my point is even if it may feel safe overloaded is still overloaded. if you are overloaded it can make an already dangerous encounter 10 times worse than it would have been. also keeping your weight under the legal limits, can save you a lot of legal fines and penaltys, that could easily add up to more than the cost of buying the right equipment to legally haul what you need to

StangBanger 07-21-2009 02:00 AM

Pics of loaded truck!!!

94svt50 07-21-2009 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian (Post 51186948)

Actually, here in ky all you have to do is slap farm tags on your vehicle and it exempts you from the standard weight limitations. This is in regards to uses related to farming. I have such tags, so I am completly with in my right to haul above the standard weight when using for farm use. If one is afraid to haul above the recomended weight then he should refrain from doing so. Let other people make their own decisions, and if they get screwed up and broken down, then they will know better next time.