Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

87 4X4 truck fuel sending unit compatibility, plus update on my truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
87 4X4 truck fuel sending unit compatibility, plus update on my truck

I got my 87 4X4 truck running. I pulled my 22R out of my 85, 2 wheel drive Long bed pickup. Coming into this I was told most parts to be cross compatible, finding out not true. Seems only about 30% compatible. What I need to know is the sending unit out of my 85, 2x, 17 gallon gas tank w/ 22R compatible with my 87, 4x truck with a 17 gallon tank w/ 22R. Toyota tells me they are different numbers, but can't tell me if they are compatible. They want $130 for a new sending unit.

I am assuming the sending unit i bad, when tank is full gauge reads full, but somewhere around a half a tank the gauge drops to a quarter then drops to empty.

My simple brake job turned into an expensive rear axle bearing and seals job. This truck has been buried in a wash and retrieved later it looks. Differential had water in it and both drums packed with sand. One side was so bad that only a half inch of brake shoe was trying to stop the wheel on a base of packed sand. The other side was packed with oil impregnated sand. I had to almost chisel out this sand on these drums it was so hard. I thought it was concrete to begin with.

Once I get it on the road again I get to decide what I am going to do with the transmission. It sounds like it has a bearing going out. It hisses in 3rd and 4th gear and when I put it in 5th it gets a lot louder, so I am guessing it is the bearing in the intermediate plate for the out shaft. So much work to do...

Back to original question, Are these sending units at all compatible? I really don't want to pull the tanks to do a side by side comparison...

Thanks in advanced,
grey
Old 01-26-2015, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there are a couple threads covering this if you search but... from what I recall there is a universal unit available through auto zone etc that requires calibration to work correctly.. Other that that NOS units are NLA.. (If I remember right)
Old 01-27-2015, 12:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you can get a new sending unit go for it.

even if the floats are the same physical size you still need to deal with the electrical end.

Unless you swap both sending unit and gauge.

Aftermarket gauges with sending units can also be bought.
The fuel gauge on my 4runner has not worked for years.