Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

'87 4Runner, questions about newly installed transmission

Old 12-12-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
'87 4Runner, questions about newly installed transmission

Hi all. Transmission in my '87 4Runner failed, so I got a rebuilt one from a place called Proline, and just installed it over the weekend. I took it for a test drive afterwards, but I'm not using it for regular driving yet because I had a couple of concerns:

1. The clutch is also brand new, and is very sensitive (i.e., I barely need to lift my foot from the floor before it engages). With the engine not running, I can shift through the gears pretty smoothly, but it's much harder if the engine is running. I had real trouble for a while, mostly getting it into third. Not sure how much of that was just me no longer being used to the shift pattern/feel after driving another car for a while, and how much was a problem, or perhaps just a different feel for the shifter, with the new transmission and clutch. After some time/practice it (or I) definitely got better, but I still plan to do more testing. Should I be worried about this?

2. Shortly after I started test driving, while accelerating in first, there was a very disturbing sound, loud, like banging metal. Not sure where it came from at all. I didn't really feel anything unusual through the shifter at the time. A little bit later it did it again for a few seconds, but it never did it again, with several blocks worth of driving around. For all I know I left a loose tool under the hood or something... (I hope). But I couldn't see anything when inspecting. I know it's a long shot, but any thoughts?

- Engine 22RE
- Transmission: w56 ("early w56", according the guy at Proline)

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2016, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not sure about the noise so I am not much help on that.

As far as it engaging with just a little pedal off of the floor, sounds to me like something is not correct. Any more when I do a clutch job, I just replace the slave cylinder and have started just replacing the master cylinder as they are usually worn out. Use Aisin cylinders. I would look into the clutch system and make sure it is adjusted correctly.

Search this Thread